Meadowlark Audio back in business

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Meadowlark Audio back in business
« on: 14 May 2018, 02:31 pm »
My main system speakers are Meadowlark Audio Shearwater Hot Rods which I really enjoy, of course everyone likes their speakers, these have been my favorite box speakers to date.  But there was always a small sense of regret that Paul McGinty had to close the doors of his company and seek other employment, sad that one of the good guys couldn't make a go of it.

So every once in awhile I type in Meadowlark on Google or Bing to see what used speakers are for sale or any new posts on audio forums.  Today I saw a listing for Meadowlark Audio, thinking it was some legacy site I was surprised to see a going company with Paul, his wife, and now grown son prominently featured.

They're building fully active designs with built in DSP and 250 watt class D amps for each driver (JLM are you listening?).  They're using some of the old names, Kestral and an in design phase Nightingale.  Gone is the sloped baffle so famous in their designs replaced by the DSP function, they still offer an impressive list of standard and custom veneers.  Also gone are the ScanSpeak drivers I'm so enamored of replaced by Seas and Mundorf.  They don't appear to be biting off more than they can chew, starting off small with a manageable business model.  Paul states on the site he wouldn't have ever got back into speaker building without the advancements in inexpensive DSP and Class D amps, I wish them nothing but success.

http://www.meadowlarksings.com/index.htm

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Meadowlark Audio back in business
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2018, 03:15 pm »
Yep, I'm listening.  Transmission lines appear to be out.  A modern design for sure.  Would like to learn more, like F3 and pricing.

bacobits1

« Reply #2 on: 14 May 2018, 03:16 pm »
Very talented and good to see them back.
I idn't realize they had that large of an operation going.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #3 on: 14 May 2018, 04:55 pm »
Yep, I'm listening.  Transmission lines appear to be out.  A modern design for sure.  Would like to learn more, like F3 and pricing.

Me too, I'm sure if someone were to send an inquiry you could get the info.  He's really on board with active designs, which he notes are so much more flexible and efficient, and replaces virtually all of the design elements of the previous speakers, first order passive crossovers, sloped baffles, transmission line cabinets, all replaced with DSP. 

Just a guess but it appears his other local audio design company might be the breadwinner, home theater design for well heeled customers is where all the brick and mortar stores around here are making it.  Thus the minimal web site for speakers.  He was really up against it last time using expensive cabinets and drivers without enough profit margin for the volume, with less labor intensive cabinets and relatively cheap class D amps and DSP along with apperant lower overhead maybe this business model will work better for him. 

sunnydaze

« Reply #4 on: 14 May 2018, 05:39 pm »
Good news about Meadowlark.   :thumb:

I have fond memories of my Heron "i" -- one of my faves in a long list of speakers I've owned.

apstoltz

« Reply #5 on: 14 May 2018, 08:30 pm »
I hope they add more info the their site soon. The little powered  monitor looks interesting and may fit the bill on my next purchase.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #6 on: 14 May 2018, 09:34 pm »
The original Kestrel is one of my all-time favorite speakers. I used them longer than any speaker I've owned. Check this site out, they have an entire forum dedicated to Meadowlark speakers:
http://www.hifihaven.org/index.php?forums/meadowlark-audio-forum.25/

csmgolf

« Reply #7 on: 14 May 2018, 10:16 pm »
I really like Meadowlark speakers, having owned Shearwater Hot Rod and Osprey. I spoke with Pat several months ago about his new line up and they really seem promising. They will not be cheap, but you will have to only supply a digital source and an I pad to have a fully functional, adjustable, and what I expect (based on past history with Meadowlark speakers) will be a great sounding complete system. www.meadowlarksings.com . Many interesting thoughts from Pat on the "designers bench" section of the site.