Buzzing door problem.

neekomax

Buzzing door problem.
« on: 31 Jan 2013, 04:42 am »
I have a 2013 VW GLI with the Fender audio system. I like the car, and the stereo is ok, but my 2010 Audi A4's Symphony system sounded way better. So anyway, I'm super annoyed by a persistent buzz in the passenger side door that occurs with certain bass frequencies (a lot of them, actually) at almost any volume.  Ugh. Anyone ever had a similar problem and resolved it? Should I take it to the dealer (it's only 2 months old) and see if they'll take a whack at it? Or is there a relatively easy diy method for killing this buzz that's a total buzzkill  :roll:?

medium jim

Re: Buzzing door problem.
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jan 2013, 05:14 am »
I would definitely take to the dealer and see if they can suss out the buzz.  If not, some dynamat might do the trick. 

Let us know how it turns out.

Jim

enjoythemusic

« Reply #2 on: 10 Feb 2013, 09:28 am »
Like Jim said, remove door panel and install Dynamat. This buzzing is normal with many cars during high SPL levels of lower frequencies.

medium jim

« Reply #3 on: 10 Feb 2013, 05:15 pm »
An Advantage of Dynamat is that you will get tighter bass, increased spl, and less road noise.  It really is worth the cost and effort.

Jim

neekomax

« Reply #4 on: 10 Feb 2013, 09:10 pm »
Thanks guys.

I still have to talk to my dealer about it. It's a lease, so I'm a bit hesitant about pulling the doors apart, especially since I have zero car DIY experience. I feel like it should not be this bad, I mean my Audis never had any issue like this, even when blasting bass heavy music. It even happens at very moderate SPLs. It's really  noticeable when the music is relatively sparse except for bass, like in jazz and acoustic music. With 'louder' styles, the other stuff covers up the buzzing.

Anyhoo, maybe I'll check YouTube for some tutorials on installing Dynamat, see what's involved.

medium jim

« Reply #5 on: 10 Feb 2013, 10:09 pm »
It being a lease, definitely take it to the dealer. Just a thought, it could be a defective speaker that has delaminated or the cone has separated from the speaker frame.

Jim

neekomax

« Reply #6 on: 10 Feb 2013, 10:11 pm »
No, it's definitely pieces of the door vibrating against each other somehow. If I press on the door fairly hard in certain spots, it goes away.

neekomax

« Reply #7 on: 10 Mar 2013, 05:22 am »
Well, good news, my dealer was able to fix what turned out to be the cable that controls the door latch vibrating against the inside of the door panel. Horrible buzz is gone, sanity (mostly) restored!  :thumb:

medium jim

« Reply #8 on: 10 Mar 2013, 06:04 am »
That's good news...

Jim