What to do when the phone rings?

macdane

What to do when the phone rings?
« on: 18 Jan 2018, 08:02 am »
I've laughed for years every time someone I'm on the phone with asks me about schedule availability ... "Well, hold on a sec, because I'm talking on my calendar!" Now that I'm serving music from a Mac and controlling it with my iPhone, the new version of that problem is when a call comes in on my remote control.

I see only three choices: either (a) send the call to voice mail and keep listening to music, (b) answer the call with music blaring from the near field speakers, or (c) set my laptop aside, climb up out of my comfy chair and scramble to the next room to pause the music before I miss the call. All 3 options suck. There doesn't seem to be a way to quickly pull up my remote app while the phone is ringing to either pause the music or lower the volume ... is there?

Typically, this happens when I'm working on my laptop in my listening chair, and I'd love to find an app that can run on my Mac and control the music playing on the other Mac, but every such app seems to only be meant to control music on the Mac it's installed on.

This is the very definition of "first world problem" but I'd love to know how you guys handle this.

Thanks,
Dane

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: What to do when the phone rings?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jan 2018, 11:17 am »
Confused (that's a common occurrence). 

I'm a Mac/iPhone user and near-field listener too plus also use my Macs (iMac and MacBook Air) as sources. 

What are you using as an audio remote control?  How is your Mac connected to your audio system?  I use my laptop via a 10 ft USB cable from my listening position with my iPhone sitting within reach.  I know folks think a 'long' USB cable is "icky" but I did compare 9 cables (see Critic's Circle) and saves me from buying a tablet.  Believe it or not the iMac is connected via a $6 Monoprice 35ft optical cable for casual listening from the back of the room (see my system description).

I thought you were going to ask whether to answer the phone or the door first.  Easy for me - the door everytime. 

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #2 on: 18 Jan 2018, 01:01 pm »
I understand you're using your phone as the remote, but don't you have another backup remote to pause the music?

Michael

macdane

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jan 2018, 02:50 pm »
What are you using as an audio remote control?

I'm currently using the Remote app on my iPhone to control iTunes on an old MacBook Air. That's the whole reason for the question ... once the phone starts ringing, there's no opportunity to access the Remote app until after I've either answered the call or dismissed it. Once a few more pieces fall into place, I'll be experimenting with Audirvana and their iOS app, but I expect to have the exact same problem.

How is your Mac connected to your audio system?
I know that's not intended to be a trick question, but it's a tricky answer because everything is in a state of flux right now. At the moment, it looks like this:

MacBook Air -> Meridian Explorer via USB -> Preamp via Wireworld Nano Eclipse

That all sits in the next room, connected to the mono amps in my listening room by a longish run of interconnects. Does that help?

Thanks,
Dane

macdane

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jan 2018, 02:57 pm »
I understand you're using your phone as the remote, but don't you have another backup remote to pause the music?

Nope ... but your response gives me hope, Michael! Since my preamp doesn't have remote control and the Remote app on the iPhone is the only way I know of to control iTunes on my MacBook Air remotely, what might serve as a backup remote? I thought I could pick up an extra copy of the white plastic Apple remote, but the MacBook Air is lacking an IR sensor.

What do you use as a backup remote?

Thanks,
Dane

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #5 on: 18 Jan 2018, 03:18 pm »
Nope ... but your response gives me hope, Michael! Since my preamp doesn't have remote control and the Remote app on the iPhone is the only way I know of to control iTunes on my MacBook Air remotely, what might serve as a backup remote? I thought I could pick up an extra copy of the white plastic Apple remote, but the MacBook Air is lacking an IR sensor.

What do you use as a backup remote?

Thanks,
Dane

Dane,

Ah. I see - a MacBook Air. My wife has one also. Thanks to her owning one, I knew a while back that a MacBook Pro would someday be in my future - but not an Air. I already own a Mini. I figure the two will complement each other nicely.

If your budget allows, you ought to be able to pick up a used Mini for $350(?). This would allow use of an Apple remote, give you more storage and allow use of a small (or large!) monitor. I'm afraid I don't have a better suggestion for you.

Depending on which system I'm using, I can use the Apple remote if I wish. I can use my Gustard X20u remote, my Nuprime DAC-9, my D Sachs Model 2 remote, or my aging SBT remote.

I hope you find a good solution.

Michael

dB Cooper

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jan 2018, 03:47 pm »
Answer call. Tell caller 'Just a moment'. Press home button. Open remote. Pause music. Tap green strip at top of screen that says 'return to call'. Done. If you use Siri, see if 'Siri, Pause music' works and you may be able to go directly to the call in peace and quiet.

A better way, it occurs to me, may be to swipe up from bottom to several Control Center. Your Music controller is probably there. If so, hit Pause, return to home screen tap Phone icon and take the call.

Are using iTunes or a third party app as a player?

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #7 on: 18 Jan 2018, 05:43 pm »
I never answer the phone. Period. 95% of the calls are not in my interest to even think about the phone ringing let alone answer it. And the other 5% are NOT emergencies I have to respond to anyway.

I guess I do not have phone anxiety?

Personally for the op, I would put the phone ringer on MUTE while listening to music.
So calls automatically go to the message.

macdane

« Reply #8 on: 18 Jan 2018, 06:09 pm »
Answer call. Tell caller 'Just a moment'. Press home button. Open remote. Pause music. Tap green strip at top of screen that says 'return to call'. Done.

That's what I've been doing, with two primary issues. First, it's very difficult to do at higher volumes ... my little amps may only be good for 3.5wpc but my speakers are relatively efficient and I listen in a near field environment. Second, it's not very professional at any volume. Fine when friends or family call, but not so much for clients.

If you use Siri, see if 'Siri, Pause music' works and you may be able to go directly to the call in peace and quiet. A better way, it occurs to me, may be to swipe up from bottom to several Control Center. Your Music controller is probably there. If so, hit Pause, return to home screen tap Phone icon and take the call.

With my daughter's help, I just tried both of these ... no dice. While the phone is ringing, Siri is non-responsive as is the control center.

Are using iTunes or a third party app as a player?

I'm currently using iTunes with plans to switch over to Audirvana. I anticipate having this exact problem with their iOS app.

Thanks,
Dane

macdane

« Reply #9 on: 18 Jan 2018, 06:12 pm »
I never answer the phone. Period. 95% of the calls are not in my interest to even think about the phone ringing let alone answer it. And the other 5% are NOT emergencies I have to respond to anyway.

I guess I do not have phone anxiety?

Personally for the op, I would put the phone ringer on MUTE while listening to music.
So calls automatically go to the message.

Ha! I'd love to have that option, but I receive calls from clients at all hours. I need to be able to answer those calls and, even more importantly, calls from prospective clients  :wink:

Thanks,
Dane

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #10 on: 18 Jan 2018, 06:27 pm »
If your livelihood depends on the phone.. I would get a second phone?
Have the first one with your current number for business calls only.
Use the second for the calendar and misc stuff.
Then you can be on the phone and have your calendar in front of you.
I do not know if it would be a PITA or a blessing...LOL

Another plus would be if the business phone rings, you KNOW it is a client or potential client. Vs family/friends on the second phone.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #11 on: 18 Jan 2018, 06:47 pm »

Another plus would be if the business phone rings, you KNOW it is a client or potential client. Vs family/friends on the second phone.

Good idea. If you don't like this idea, you could get an ipad, ipod touch, or even an older iphone with no contract to use as a remote. I use an ipod touch pretty much strictly as a remote for the mac mini, even though the iphone is next to me.

macdane

« Reply #12 on: 18 Jan 2018, 07:05 pm »

I can see where that would be a great solution for some people. I have a very memorable number and this has served as both business and personal phone for far too long to change. Besides, I know myself well enough to know that I'd lose one of them within a week!

macdane

« Reply #13 on: 18 Jan 2018, 07:19 pm »
I found two solutions, one free and one ... well, not even close to free.

The free solution comes in the form of my old iPhone 3GS I found in the closet. If I can find a 30-pin cable to charge it up, I'll have a free emergency backup remote.

The other solution ties into a million other things I've been working on in my system: I bought a Hegel H80 integrated amp with remote control. It remains to be seen how well it stacks up against the Wright amps sonically, but I'm hopeful this will be a long-term solution

Thanks for all the ideas and wish me well!

Dane

brj

« Reply #14 on: 18 Jan 2018, 08:17 pm »
One more inexpensive option - the Apple Remote.  (The $19 silver one, though I suppose you could use the new Siri Remote as well.)

I use one to pause Roon on my Mac Mini music server when I'm in a hurry.  Works with iTunes as well.

There are knock-offs for a fraction of the $19 OEM price, but I have no idea how well they work.  And IR learning remote should be able to learn the codes as well.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #15 on: 18 Jan 2018, 08:41 pm »
I use an old iphone 4s for my remote, it just doesn't make since to use my phone as a remote. The other option is to get a ipad mini, they are nice to use as a remote but will cost you money. You did say it was work related so that's what I would do.

AllynW

« Reply #16 on: 18 Jan 2018, 09:48 pm »
I control my Mac Mini server with a USB mouse.  Having a monitor
 helps.  A call comes in and I pause the playback.

neekomax

« Reply #17 on: 18 Jan 2018, 09:53 pm »
I think someone already mentioned it, but they still make the iPod Touch: The iPhone without the phone!

Here's a refurb for $139: https://veryvery.com/products/refurbished-apple-ipod-touch-16gb-blue?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIz-nejb_i2AIVVFgNCh0CEA_0EAYYBCABEgLqnPD_BwE

macdane

« Reply #18 on: 18 Jan 2018, 11:36 pm »
One more inexpensive option - the Apple Remote.  (The $19 silver one, though I suppose you could use the new Siri Remote as well.)

I use one to pause Roon on my Mac Mini music server when I'm in a hurry.  Works with iTunes as well.

There are knock-offs for a fraction of the $19 OEM price, but I have no idea how well they work.  And IR learning remote should be able to learn the codes as well.

That was my first thought, since the little white plastic ones can be had for $5 or so. Alas, the MacBook Air doesn't have an IR sensor.

Thanks,
Dane

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #19 on: 18 Jan 2018, 11:45 pm »
Ummm... ditch the Apple and get a phone that easily does both at the same time?