Linear Tube Audio Introduction

Jarbs

Re: Linear Tube Audio Introduction
« Reply #20 on: 16 Nov 2018, 09:06 pm »
Rocket Ronnie,

Perhaps the unit was broken and needs repair. Or needs a tube replaced.

I own both an MZ2 and the Microzotl Preamp. I tried the MZ2 on my 89 dB sensitive Usher Mini Dancer 2 in my large room. It wasn’t worth repeating. Not broken, just not enough drive.

Used as a preamp, either unit does justice to my system which is in the $40-50k range.

I have no reservations in recommending these units in the right environment.

Greg

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #21 on: 16 Nov 2018, 10:07 pm »
The amp was not broken. Certainly deserves another try at sometime. Have to say it got me off the scent of the higher powered amps for these speakers.

Rocket Ronny

richidoo

« Reply #22 on: 19 Nov 2018, 01:07 am »
Thanks for the tip about updating my profile with our website link. For some reason, clicking on my profile takes me to an not-allowed area error. Maybe I have to get through the intro period first.

Yeah, the site will open up for you after you have 3 posts.  One more to go!

I have been reading about your amps, they are very exciting to me! I have them on my audio to-do list. I think they will compliment my next speaker build.

Jarbs

« Reply #23 on: 29 Nov 2018, 12:09 am »
Hello Mark S.,

Your new Z10 integrated looks like an interesting piece - a combination of the ZOTL10 amplifier and what is described as a Berning designed preamplifier section. A couple questions.

Is the amplifier section a mk. II like your current stand alone ZOTL10 mk. II?

Is the preamplifier section like any of your current offerings - MZ2, MZ3, Microzotl Preamp - or is it something altogether different. If it is different, could you compare it with your current offerings?

Thank you,
Greg

jmolsberg

« Reply #24 on: 29 Nov 2018, 01:00 am »
Mark - I sure enjoy my MZ2!

LTAmark

• Industry Participant
    • Linear Tube Audio
« Reply #25 on: 30 Nov 2018, 10:29 pm »
Jarbs,

You asked about the new Integrated ZOTL10: "Is the amplifier section a mk. II like your current stand alone ZOTL10 mk. II?"

Yes, the amplifier section is the ZOTL10 Mk II power amplifier.  The preamplifier is a circuit used in David Berning's QuadZ for balanced to single ended conversion (using tubes of course) that also has some gain. When added as a gain stage on the front end of the power amplifier, the ZOTL circuitry cross couples to it. The microZOTL preamplifier has its own ZOTL circuit, which is costly to build, and you can get the same result when you cross couple to a gain stage as having a ZOTL preamp and a ZOTL amplifier. The gain stage really pairs well with the Z10 power amp. It is hard to tell the difference comparing the integrated to a MZ2 and a Z10 power amp. 

However, the MZ3 and new Preamplifier are significantly better than the MZ2 and also the Integrated, but that's why they cost more.

witchdoctor

« Reply #26 on: 1 Dec 2018, 03:07 pm »
Great intro story, welcome! The pre-amp review by terry london was OTT.

LTAmark

• Industry Participant
    • Linear Tube Audio
« Reply #27 on: 3 Dec 2018, 02:50 am »
LTA Products

Our first product was the microZOTL headphone amplifier, preamplifier and 1 watt speaker amplifier.  It’s a Class A push pull with a very liquid sound.  You can turn it all the way up and not be able to tell it is turned on.  We have sold nearly 1000 of them.  We use 12SN7 tubes as they are 1/10th the cost of 6SN7s and sonically identical. We can provide premium tubes at a very reasonable $60 cost. We made many improvements in case strength, wiring, umbilical cable connectors, linear power supplies and remote controls.  We have many pretty good reviews. 

We will continue to produce it no matter what other products we have as it has become one of the few deals in high end audio. People have replaced their $15K preamps with it, but more important it allows the less flush with cash individual to experience the high end audio experience every day for only a $1235 investment.

We try to balance our commitment to providing affordable high end audio and also stay in business. Most audio manufacturers mark up their products twice as much as we do. So we have to sell direct. We would have to double our prices to sell through dealers.

Our second and third product were power amplifiers. The ZOTL10 12 watt EL84 push pull amplifier and a 46 watt ZOTL40 EL-34 amplifier.
The ZOTL10 is the most affordable Berning designed power amp ever offered. It has a linear power supply and the EL-84s provide the magic of ZOTL with the sweet sound of the EL-84s.  It can drive anything from the low 90s in sensitivity.  All the ZOTL advantages, 3 times tube life, 1/3 the heat, protection circuitry, no hum. 

The ZOTL40 is a pentode amplifier and pairs beautifully with electrostatic speakers, maggies, Quads, Jensens and Martin Logans.  It has a very sophisticated protection circuit. It can use EL-34s, KT-77s, 6L6s…all autobiased.  It is actually 46 watts at 8 ohms and 51 ohms at 4 ohms. Easily handles complex impedance loads like a Quad speaker. Can be easily mono-blocked for 80 watts. This amp likes low efficiency speakers, high efficiency speakers not so much.

Last summer David Berning developed an amplifier designed for high efficiency speakers. The Ultralinear Power Amplifier is 20 watts per channel and is specifically designed to provide a premium listening experience. The combination of ZOTL and Ultralinear is a less forward presentation than a triode amp, and as David says “more pleasing to listen to”.  The remarkable characteristic of this tube amp with it’s uniques topology, is the detail. You can compare the detail provided to any solid state amp. It has just as much. This amplifier provides a combination of the detail rivaling any solid state with the liquidity and imaging of tubes. Realism, wide soundstage with lots of air, and 3D musicality. One of David’s best pieces of work.  In a Fern & Roby designed case.

And speaking of Fern & Roby, we have been collaborating with them for about a year now. Over the last 3 years we have been discovering new ways to improve the sound of the microZOTL.  Packaging all these improvements in an aluminum case with front and back panels hogged out of single pieces of aluminum, along with brass touch buttons, LED array dimmable display and Apple TV remote control, our new microZOTL Preamplifer was shown at Axpona 2018 and started shipping in August. It turned out a bit better than we expected, but we are not complaining.

Another new product and a result of the F&R collaboration, is the Integrated Z10. The ZOTL10 Power Amplifier gets a preamp stage, a stepped attenuator, 5 inputs (1 true balanced), and headphone outputs. In a case similar to the Preamplifier with capacitive brass touch buttons and a LED array display, and even a phono stage. An all in one package that can drive any speaker 90db and above.
About to come out (any day) is the same technology improvements of our microZOTL Preamplifier in a headphone amp with an external power supply. It will be the MZ3.  It is similar to the MZ2 as it has 3 inputs and the same size and tube complement. Adding ceramic boards, stepped attenuator, much bigger, better power supply and other technology improvements provides a significant improvement in the sound quality over the MZ2.

We also just released an upgrade to our lower priced microZOTL MZ2 LPS power supply called the LPS plus. Some of the technology that was developed for our new premium products can be applied to the current population of linear power supplies to dramatically improve the sound stage. Only $200. We always try to provide an upgrade path for our older products whenever we can.

We continue to improve our products and have a couple of other products that are close to completion that we hope to tell you about soon.

witchdoctor

« Reply #28 on: 3 Dec 2018, 03:38 pm »
Hey Mark, any suggestions on how to implement your technology in a home theater setup? I am considering getting a tube buffer for my blueray player. I don't use 2 channel anymore. I prefer auro-3D (auromatic)  for both music and movies. If you aren't familiar with auro-3d check out the reviewers description here. Thanks

https://www.stormaudio.com/media/wsr_stormaudio_iisp_3d1612_review_december2017lowres__067250400_0949_22122017.pdf

https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/svs%E2%80%99s-prime-elevation-and-marantz%E2%80%99s-sr7012-avr-tackle-auro-3d-an-exploratory-review.3737/

LTAmark

• Industry Participant
    • Linear Tube Audio
« Reply #29 on: 4 Dec 2018, 12:49 pm »
Witchdoctor,

Interesting hardware. Sounds like a very immersive experience.

quote author=witchdoctor link=topic=160603.msg1717156#msg1717156 date=1543851495]
Hey Mark, any suggestions on how to implement your technology in a home theater setup? I am considering getting a tube buffer for my blueray player. I don't use 2 channel anymore. I prefer auro-3D (auromatic)  for both music and movies. If you aren't familiar with auro-3d check out the reviewers description here. Thanks[/quote]

Our interface to home theater varies a bit by product.

The IntegratedZ10 and the microZOTL Preamplifier, as well as the forthcoming MZ3 HeadphoneAmp/Preamp/1watt speaker amp have what we call "Home Theater Mode". Any of the inputs can be selected to be a high fixed volume input. The idea is that you can calibrate your home theater source to the fixed volume and the source then controls the amplifier volume.

The Stormaudio receiver has only XLR line level outputs.  Balanced XLRs are supported by the Integrated ZOTL10 and the microZOTL Preamplifier with optional input transformers.  You can use the microZOTL Preamplifier standard in lower output not true balanced.  The Stormaudio also has a stereo downmix outputs that uses RCAs. 

Most Surround receivers support preamp out, which can be used with all of our power amplifiers easily.  And our new products have the selectable fixed volume Home Theater Mode.

witchdoctor

« Reply #30 on: 4 Dec 2018, 06:28 pm »
Thanks Mark, the Home Theater mode should work. Here is a pic of my Auro 3D layout. I am using active speakers so the pre-amp looks like the best solution:

witchdoctor

« Reply #31 on: 4 Dec 2018, 10:49 pm »
Anything else you can share about the forthcoming MZ3 yet?

dodgealum

« Reply #32 on: 4 Dec 2018, 11:29 pm »
Mark: I love that you are working with David to design products that respect the importance of the amp-speaker interface. So often audiophiles debate the merits of this amplifier versus that amplifier without regard to the speaker pairing. That the ZOTL 40 is designed to play well with more difficult loads like electrostatics while the ZOTL Ultralinear is super happy with high efficiency designs means that more listeners are able to enjoy the benefits of ZOTL technology while enjoying a wide array of speaker options, depending on their listening preferences, room, etc. When I heard that the ZOTL Ultralinear was designed specifically with speakers like mine (Daedalus Audio) in mind, I had a strong feeling that it was going to be the proverbial match made in heaven. The moment I heard the amp in my system I learned something very important about matching the amp and speakers--a lesson I am reminded of every time I drop the needle and hear my system the way it is supposed to sound!

jmolsberg

« Reply #33 on: 5 Dec 2018, 08:36 pm »
Mark, will there be an upgrade path for MZ2? stepped attenuator, etc.,?

LTAmark

• Industry Participant
    • Linear Tube Audio
« Reply #34 on: 8 Dec 2018, 08:40 pm »
The MZ3 has almost all of the sonic improvements of the recent new microZOTL Preamplifier, the full size preamp/headphone amp. It is in a package like the MZ2...an external power supply and smaller, headphone amp size case.

With regards for an upgrade path from the MZ2, lack of space in the MZ2 case and power supply is the biggest issue.  We took some of the preamplifier/MZ3 power supply improvements and fit them into the existing MZ2 LPS case, and for $200, you can get your linear power supply greatly improved with more storage and an output choke, which nets a much wider sound stage.  And we incorporated the improvement into the current LPS product, now called the LPS plus at the same price.  At this time we have no solution for adding a stepped attenuator, although there are a couple ways it could be done, and its something to look into.  The ceramic board upgrade unfortunately has no possible solution as you cant take the parts off and put them on another board.

We just put the MZ3 up on the website.

witchdoctor

« Reply #35 on: 9 Dec 2018, 04:38 pm »
Thanks Mark, it looks fantastic and I'll bet it sounds even better.  :thumb:

Norman Tracy

« Reply #36 on: 12 Dec 2018, 04:45 pm »
Has this review (WARNING - it's a full-on rave will make-you-want-it-bad) of the LTA MicroZOTL Preamplifier been mentioned in this thread?
https://hometheaterreview.com/linear-tube-audio-microzotl-preamplifier/

I really like this photo of the MicroZOTL Preamplifier as it shows how in addition to the circuit goodness on the inside that actual industrial designers were involved in the design of the casework.

OzarkTom

« Reply #37 on: 12 Dec 2018, 11:31 pm »
Definitely a big step-up in the cosmetics. :thumb:

OzarkTom

« Reply #38 on: 13 Dec 2018, 01:32 am »
Dear Santa,

I have been a very, very good boy this year. If one of these show up under my Christmas tree this year, I will be most grateful.

Signed,
Ozarktom

witchdoctor

« Reply #39 on: 13 Dec 2018, 03:24 am »
I would want to pair this preamp with a set of JBL active studio monitors.