Salk HT2-TL: Mexican twins to the Bronx. Pics Added.

nyc_paramedic

Re: Salk HT2-TL: Mexican twins to the Bronx.
« Reply #20 on: 22 Jun 2009, 10:19 pm »
It's Mexican Ziricote. Oops...

The HT2-TL's arrived last Tuesday. I have been busy with other things, thus not updating this post in a while. The speakers were haphazardly planted in the same approximate spots where my B&W Matrix (circa 1996) 804's were positioned: almost halfway into the room, on the long wall.Also known as the "Audio Physic" room placement method. It's what has worked best -so far- in my 13x17 dedicated room.

Associated components:

Pass Labs Aleph L preamp
Pass Labs Aleph 5 amp (60watts into 8ohms, 90 watts into 4 ohms)
Wavelength Audio Brick Version 2 (Asynchronous USB) NOS USB DAC
Custom (assembled and tuned by me) Single Board Computer Linux USB
music server
Real Traps, a whole bunch. And more as funds allow.

Out of the box? The first word that came out of my girlfriends (she was the first to sit in the sweet spot) mouth was "clarity". She is brutally honest, and was deadly quick to point out that the used Audio Physic Scorpios that I purchased used, last year, from Audiogon (MSRP $6500 USD) last year were "muddy, lifeless, don't keep my interest". Off they went back onto Audiogon.

Now comes the tedious task of inch by inch speaker placement to make everything "snap" into focus.

More to follow... 

In the mean time I have to keep reminding myself that I haven't bought loudspeakers yet, as I merely auditioning them for the alloted thirty days.

evan1

« Reply #21 on: 22 Jun 2009, 10:20 pm »
Pics dude

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #22 on: 22 Jun 2009, 10:22 pm »
« Last Edit: 22 Jun 2009, 11:26 pm by nyc_paramedic »

Kris

Re: Salk HT2-TL: Mexican twins to the Bronx. Pics Added.
« Reply #23 on: 22 Jun 2009, 11:41 pm »
It looks like the listening distance is too short. Don't you get the "headphone syndrome" effect?

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #24 on: 22 Jun 2009, 11:44 pm »
It looks like the listening distance is too short. Don't you get the "headphone syndrome" effect?

Nope. It gives me a nice, wide, 16 foot sound stage that stretches (on good recordings) from wall to wall.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #25 on: 22 Jun 2009, 11:49 pm »
What is the size of the room and how far away are you from the speakers?

George

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #26 on: 22 Jun 2009, 11:58 pm »
What is the size of the room and how far away are you from the speakers?

George

Room is 12'7" by 16'7". Drivers are approx 7.5' away from my ears.

Nuance

« Reply #27 on: 23 Jun 2009, 02:25 am »
They look great in your room!  I am glad you're enjoying them - nothing wrong with a 16 foot sound stage!  ;)

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #28 on: 23 Jun 2009, 02:40 am »
They look great in your room!  I am glad you're enjoying them - nothing wrong with a 16 foot sound stage!  ;)

Thanks.

I received Audio Physic's white paper on their setup about the same time that I first moved into this apartment, approximately 8 years ago.  It was strange and bizarre having the speakers (the old B&W 804's) that far apart and that close to your face --at first.

But after the first week of careful inch by inch tweaking I was devastated at how good a long wall setup could sound. You get a *very* deep sound stage. The sound stage width is panoramic; wide-screen for your ears. It wraps all around speakers.

After another week you barely notice the speakers when you're sitting in the sweet spot.

YMMV depending on speaker type. The HT2-TL's seem to be having a grand ol' time setup this way, and so am I.

Cheers.

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #29 on: 23 Jun 2009, 05:14 am »
How far apart are the speakers?  How far away from the rear wall is the couch?

Great looking setup, BTW.

evan1

« Reply #30 on: 23 Jun 2009, 08:27 am »
NICE

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #31 on: 23 Jun 2009, 01:51 pm »
How far apart are the speakers?  How far away from the rear wall is the couch?

Great looking setup, BTW.

Speakers are approximately 8.5' apart. The couch is right up against the rear wall.

JoshK

« Reply #32 on: 23 Jun 2009, 04:12 pm »
Nice speaks.   Its all about what you like when it comes to setup.  No need to impress a bunch of forum guys. 

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #33 on: 2 Jul 2009, 11:49 pm »
Nice speaks.   Its all about what you like when it comes to setup.  No need to impress a bunch of forum guys.

Oh, I wasn't trying to impress. Just letting some folks know that there might be another option out there for people who have to use a long wall setup.

mca

« Reply #34 on: 2 Jul 2009, 11:55 pm »
What a beautiful "classic" wood finish. That or cherry would be my top choice  :drool:

cujobob

« Reply #35 on: 3 Jul 2009, 06:00 am »
Beautiful speakers!  Damn.   :drool:

The HT2L are some seriously good speakers, I doubt they'll go back.  Pass Labs feeding them is  :thumb:

If this is an audio-only room, you may wish to try placing a small 3-4" mattress pad under your rug in front of your listening area, some treatments right above your equipment in the center of the wall, and if you haven't, a diffusor or absorption panel on the ceiling between your listening chair/couch and speakers to break up the nasty reflections.  Probably know all of this, but just in case.