They've Arrived 04/07/09 (my HT2-TL)

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
Re: Tomorrow is the Big Day, hopefully (my HT2-TL)
« Reply #20 on: 7 Apr 2009, 05:47 am »
Paldao HT-3,,, sweet veneer indeed. :drool:

Couldn't find any samples of pau dao. :scratch:

Cheers,
Robin

Robin:

Pal dao is also know as pau ferro.  (Sorry, misspelled the veneer.)

Here are Nuance's ST RT:

http://www.salksound.com/gallery/brandonbrunner/st-lcy-rosewood.jpg

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #21 on: 7 Apr 2009, 05:58 am »
Hope you'll have a camera handy for "hopefully" tomorrow. :thumb:

As Robin mentioned.....don't forget some photo's.... 8) :beer:

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #22 on: 7 Apr 2009, 06:01 am »
Paldao HT-3,,, sweet veneer indeed. :drool:

Couldn't find any samples of pau dao. :scratch:

Cheers,
Robin

Robin:

Pal dao is also know as pau ferro.  (Sorry, misspelled the veneer.)

Here are Nuance's ST RT:

I had actually ever heard of this veneer before oneinthepipe so I did a search of Salk Circle and the picture of the HT-3 was the only thread to come up. I did scope out Nuance's thread but for all of his lengthy posts, I couldn't find any mention the veneer so I really wasn't sure if maybe this was the same type Rosewood as the AV123 Rockets usually come in.

Cheers,
Robin

funkmonkey

« Reply #23 on: 7 Apr 2009, 06:21 am »
Heres what Wiki has to say:
Pao ferro or pau ferro (Caesalpinia echinata or Machaerium scleroxylum Tul.) is an exotic tree found in Brazil and Bolivia. Its wood is often used for making fingerboards for basses and electric guitars. It has a similar feel and similar tonal attributes to rosewood, but has a slightly lighter colour. The wood may also be used for flooring, fancy furniture, and handgun grips. It is also known by the names morado, palo santos, caviuna, Brazilian ironwood, and Bolivian rosewood, though it is not actually rosewood.
In guitar making, pao ferro is not only used for fingerboards but also can be used for the back and sides of the guitar. Brazilian guitar maker, Giannini, uses the wood in many of its classical guitars.[1] Although similar in many ways to rosewood, pao ferro does have slightly different tonal qualities.
For example Stevie Ray Vaughan's Signature Fender Stratocaster comes with a Pao Ferro fingerboard.

...and I thought it was a Rosewood.  :D
I hope they get there safe and sound...  are you getting any sleep tonight?  :lol:

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
« Reply #24 on: 7 Apr 2009, 07:12 am »
No, no sleep for me, but not because of the speakers. 

Pau ferro is beautiful wood, and I have some handgun (1911-style) grips from pau ferro, cocobolo, kingwood, and arizona desert ironwood burl.  I have a pair of Spendor S3/5A speakers in burl walnut, which is very nice, and I like a lot of the woods that Jim has been using, especially the swirly bubinga.  The pau ferro speakers will be very nice, however. My former ST RT in pau ferro were beautifully finished.

Nuance

« Reply #25 on: 7 Apr 2009, 01:04 pm »
Turn up the bass and let it knock you to the ground!  YEEEEES!

There aren't any tone controls on my preamp.  :lol:
Oops, I meant turn ON the bass.  You won't need to turn it up!  :)

Here is a better picture to depict more of what the Pau Ferro Rosewood will look like in person:

Today is the day, oneinthepipe!  Oh yeah!   :thumb:

OgOgilby

« Reply #26 on: 7 Apr 2009, 01:22 pm »

Just being nosy... why no sleep OITP?

Today's the day  :banana piano:

OgOgilby

« Reply #27 on: 7 Apr 2009, 01:27 pm »
Turn up the bass and let it knock you to the ground!  YEEEEES!

There aren't any tone controls on my preamp.  :lol:
Oops, I meant turn ON the bass.  You won't need to turn it up!  :)

Here is a better picture to depict more of what the Pau Ferro Rosewood will look like in person:

Today is the day, oneinthepipe!  Oh yeah!   :thumb:

Brandon,

Are your ST's hand rubbed? That shot really shows the finish. The Pau Ferro looks amazing. OITP is going to be real happy today  :D

Nuance

« Reply #28 on: 7 Apr 2009, 01:46 pm »
Yes sir, hand rubbed.  I love how it turned out.  :)

I've seen the standard "matte finish" with the Pau Ferro veneer as well, and it looks just as good.  That veneer is just gorgeous IMO.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #29 on: 7 Apr 2009, 04:20 pm »
That's an awesome picture Nuance. :thumb: I didn't realize rosewood & pau(s) veneers were so closely the same, just a lucky guess on my part. :oops: Thanks funkmonkey for the veneer research. :thumb:

Hope you got a camera handy oneinthepipe. 8) This drama is intense. :duh: aa

Cheers,
Robin

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
« Reply #30 on: 7 Apr 2009, 04:38 pm »

Just being nosy... why no sleep OITP?

Today's the day  :banana piano:

Lots going on.  Just get kind of wound up and have trouble failing asleep.

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
Re: They've Arrived 04/07/09 (my HT2-TL)
« Reply #31 on: 7 Apr 2009, 04:46 pm »
Whoa Hoa!

I didn't go to work today because my two younger kids have fevers and couldn't go to school (and I am not feeling too well, either).  A few minutes ago, the FedEx truck pulled into the driveway, and the driver helped me carry the speakers into my listening room.  If someone wasn't home, he would have left the speakers in the driveway in the rain.

I am going to start unpacking the speakers now.

In the spirit of TJHUB's thread, I also took a photo of the FedEx truck.

martyo

« Reply #32 on: 7 Apr 2009, 04:51 pm »
:hyper: :bounce: :dance: YIPEE THEY'RE HERE :dance: :bounce: :hyper:

Nuance

« Reply #33 on: 7 Apr 2009, 04:59 pm »
Sweet!   :rock:

Sorry to hear you are sick, but I guess it was meant to be that you had to stay home.  :)

Eagerly awaiting your pics and impressions. 

R Swerdlow

« Reply #34 on: 7 Apr 2009, 05:33 pm »
People here are generally aware of the Birth Certificate that comes with Salk speakers.  It is a somewhat better kept secret :shh: that Jim also provides a certified (ahem) doctor's note attesting to the fact that you were too sick to go to work on the very same day that your speakers were delivered.  You must be another sufferer of Audiophilic Nirvana Nervosa.  Take two of these

and call me in the morning.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #35 on: 7 Apr 2009, 05:35 pm »
You guys crack me up!!   :rotflmao:

Glad to see such happy customers.   :thumb:

George

OgOgilby

« Reply #36 on: 7 Apr 2009, 06:14 pm »

I didn't go to work today because my two younger kids have fevers and couldn't go to school (and I am not feeling too well, either).

Sorry that you and you kids are under the weather. I find music tends make people feel better, so get well soon!

Nick77

« Reply #37 on: 7 Apr 2009, 06:27 pm »
Whoa Hoa!

I didn't go to work today because my two younger kids have fevers and couldn't go to school (and I am not feeling too well, either).  A few minutes ago, the FedEx truck pulled into the driveway, and the driver helped me carry the speakers into my listening room.  If someone wasn't home, he would have left the speakers in the driveway in the rain.

I am going to start unpacking the speakers now.

In the spirit of TJHUB's thread, I also took a photo of the FedEx truck.

Sounds like the speaker gods were watching out for you today. Hehe

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
« Reply #38 on: 7 Apr 2009, 06:43 pm »
Thank you for your get well wishes.  I feel better already.  Amazing what a new pair of HT2-TL and some ibuprofen will do.

The speakers arrive unscathed.  I installed the plinths and the spikes and have been listening to the speakers for a few minutes.  The 1st song that I played, at my middle daughter's request, was Aqualung.  The drums were powerful enough to send my youngest daughter running into the other room.  Since then, I have been listening to Norah Jones.  The sound is outstanding.  They have all the attributes of the ST RT and more-so.  Jim did a beautiful job with the veneer.

While I was waiting for the HT2-TL, following bpape's suggestions, I increased the thickness of my absorption panels, except for the side wall 1st and 2nd reflection points, were are still 2" OC703, and installed bass traps.  The increased thickness of the absorption panels and the installation of bass traps greatly improved the room.

My middle daughter is pretty astute, and she remarked that Jim made the speakers wider.  I think that she was referring to depth, because the HT2-TL are noticeably deeper than the ST.

In the meantime, I have to get the shipping boxes to the basement and clean up the kids' mess before my wife comes home.

I will post some photos later.

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
« Reply #39 on: 7 Apr 2009, 06:53 pm »
It is a somewhat better kept secret :shh: that Jim also provides a certified (ahem) doctor's note attesting to the fact that you were too sick to go to work on the very same day that your speakers were delivered. 

And I thought that Dr. Murphy was the attending.  Nevertheless, since I work with my wife (or work for my wife, from my staff's perspective), the doctor's note doesn't help very much.  Actually, since the kids had fevers and couldn't go to school, one of us needed to stay home with them, and my wife was happy to go to work.  The kids have started running around the house, and they appear to feel better, too.