Legacy Classics vs Salk Speakers

revrob

Legacy Classics vs Salk Speakers
« on: 31 Mar 2009, 02:13 pm »
Hello,

First time poster. Looking for some advise from Salk owners. I have never heard these speakers and they look fantastic and the personal reviews are outstanding. I have had the Legacy Classics for about 12 years and looking to upgrade. Currently I have a LSA Integrated amp with a Cary 306/200 CD Player. My room is 12 X 15 with 9 ft ceilings.

How does the Salk speakers compare to the Classics and what would you recommend. My system is for 2 channel only with no intention for home theater. Any and all comments welcome. I would like to stay around $3,000.00 but would like something comparable or better than the speakers I now have.

Thanks,
Steve

fsimms

Re: Legacy Classics vs Salk Speakers
« Reply #1 on: 31 Mar 2009, 02:46 pm »
A friend has some Legacy Whispers and he thinks the Salk Ht3's are as good or better.  The Whispers are a class above yours.  In your price range, the HT2 TL's and V3's are just above your price range and are said to be not to much lower in sound to the HT3's.  Jim would be the one to ask. Being able to choose the veneir is worth the bit extra IMHO.

Bob

MichiganMike

« Reply #2 on: 31 Mar 2009, 02:47 pm »
Unfortunately, I cannot provide the comparison you are seeking.  Speaker preferences are highly subjective and relative performance may vary depending upon listener, the room environment, connected equipment and source material.  There are almost always trade-offs in speaker performance that individuals may balance differently. 

I would urge you to try to audition Salk speakers and make your own decision.  You did not indicate your location, but as the number of owners continues to grow you may be able to find someone on this forum near your location that will be happy to provide an opportunity for you to hear and judge for yourself.  Check the thread above for Salk speaker owners offering auditions or post where you are located and someone may contact you.http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=20721.0

revrob

« Reply #3 on: 31 Mar 2009, 03:03 pm »
I did send Jim an email and he replied almost immediately. That was impressive. I know every room is different and listening is very subjective. I was just hoping that someone that had experience with both the Legacy's and Salk's might weigh in. I bought the Legacy's used and unheard and have never regretted the choice.

I would like to make a purchase that I can live with for the next 7 to 10 years.

Thanks.

rahimlee54

« Reply #4 on: 31 Mar 2009, 03:16 pm »
You should make the trip out to audition, it is well worth the time and energy for something you plan on keeping for 10 years.

Rapt

« Reply #5 on: 31 Mar 2009, 03:27 pm »
I did send Jim an email and he replied almost immediately. That was impressive. I know every room is different and listening is very subjective. I was just hoping that someone that had experience with both the Legacy's and Salk's might weigh in. I bought the Legacy's used and unheard and have never regretted the choice.

I would like to make a purchase that I can live with for the next 7 to 10 years.

Thanks.

I also have the legacy classics and also considering the salk ht2, I may wait until RMAF 2009 to hear some speakers not sure yet. not to hijack but I have a couple questions.

1/ can you get the ht2's with the seas nextel drivers

2/ I was planning on using a subwoofer (jl audio f112) would it be beneficial to get a sealed cabinet vs a ported in this case. what are the benefits of a sealed cabinet.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #6 on: 31 Mar 2009, 03:40 pm »

I also have the legacy classics and also considering the salk ht2, I may wait until RMAF 2009 to hear some speakers not sure yet. not to hijack but I have a couple questions.

2/ I was planning on using a subwoofer (jl audio f112) would it be beneficial to get a sealed cabinet vs a ported in this case. what are the benefits of a sealed cabinet.

[/quote]

The HT2 comes in a smaller sealed version for use with a sub:

"There are two HT2 versions to fit your specific needs. The 22" tall sealed monitor is designed specifically for use with a subwoofer (which is highly recommended with this version). The 40" tall ported floor-standing version was designed as a full-range speaker (although it, too, can be used with a sub)."

The nextel version of the W18 would require a new crossover.  I have a pair of the nextels, so I could do that.  It would be up to Jim whether he wants to offer that option.

jsalk

« Reply #7 on: 31 Mar 2009, 03:44 pm »
Rapt -

Not at this time.  The Nextel drivers would require a new crossover design.  We would not necessarily be opposed to doing it, but I don't know if there would be any real advantage.  At one time we developed a version of the HT3 using Nextel drivers and the differences were so minimal we never really followed up on it.  Since the frame and motor are the same, it is only the cone material that is different.  There really wan't much difference in terms of sound quality between the two designs.  So I have some reservations about the value of switching drivers.

Well, in a sense yes and in a sense no.  The benefit of a sealed cabinets is a much slower roll-off (12db per octave) on the bottom end.  This makes it easier to achieve a nice cross to the sub.  The downside is that the bass rolls off very early (starting as high as 100Hz).  So you are not taking full advantage of the W18's.

A ported or TL cabinet plays much deeper, but has a steeper roll-off on the bottom end.  This is a little harder to integrate with a sub.

If you get a PERFECT cross with the sub, the sealed cabinet may exhibit slightly lower distortion levels since the W18's would not be playing deep bass.  But if you don't get the integration perfect (which is very difficult for the average person to do), you would pay a performance penalty.

If it were me, I would go as low as I could with the mains and then cross to the sub.  Our HT3's are a good example.  The woofer is actually a subwoofer driver.  But the integration is fixed in the crossover.  So it is as good as it can get.  You could get similar results crossing the HT1's over to a sub, but the integration would have to be perfect in order to get similar results.

So the answer to your question depends on whether or not you can get the crossover, phase and gain between the mains and the sub set up perfectly.  This is not a trivial task and one that most people are not well-equipped to do.

- Jim
« Last Edit: 31 Mar 2009, 05:44 pm by jsalk »

jsalk

« Reply #8 on: 31 Mar 2009, 03:46 pm »
Sorry, I didn't see Dennis' answer above.  We were responding at the same time.

- Jim
« Last Edit: 31 Mar 2009, 06:00 pm by jsalk »

Rapt

« Reply #9 on: 31 Mar 2009, 06:47 pm »
Thanks dennis and jim for the responses, I may wait till rmaf to check out Salk and others.. Jim did you check out the new line of drivers from seas they are called exotics  http://www.seas.no/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=240&Itemid=225

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #10 on: 31 Mar 2009, 11:00 pm »
Hi  Thanks for the heads up--I hadn't seen that particular woofer.  The frequency response doesn't look real promising, with the dreaded peak and dip at 1 khz and break-up modes starting at just a little over 3 kHz.  But I'll monitor the testing sites to see how it does.