scottwayne

Re: New to Salk Sound
« Reply #20 on: 4 Apr 2009, 02:43 am »
Mr. Murphy,

Sent you a PM.

mchuckp

« Reply #21 on: 4 Apr 2009, 03:23 am »
I've seen several posts by folks in here suggesting getting a 2-channel preamp with HT bypass along with a HT receiver.  I've been going over it in my head and can't seem to figure out how this works.  Call me stupid!

If my sources go to the preamp and is hooked out to my receiver and my receiver goes to my amp then on to my speakers, how does one bypass the receiver for 2-channel music?  Speakers and amps only have 1 output.  What am I missing?

Here's my current gear:
Oppo 983 bluray player (outputting HDMI for multichannel and analog L/R for 2-channel)
Rega P1 turntable
Onkyo 803 AV receiver (HDMI 1.1)
Outlaw 7125 multichannel amp
AppleTV (digital music media center)
Aperion speakers (becoming Salk in the next 6 months)
HSU Sub
« Last Edit: 4 Apr 2009, 12:08 pm by mchuckp »

MichiganMike

« Reply #22 on: 4 Apr 2009, 09:36 am »
I've seen several posts by folks in here suggesting getting a 2-channel preamp with HT bypass along with a HT receiver.  I've been going over it in my head and can't seem to figure out how this works.  Call me stupid!

If my sources go to the preamp and is hooked out to my receiver and my receiver goes to my amp then on to my speakers, how does one bypass the receiver for 2-channel music?  Speakers and amps only have 1 output.  What am I missing?

In brief, the receiver line outputs for Left, Right and Sub are connected to inputs of the 2-channel preamp.  The outputs of the 2-channel preamp are connected to the input of the power amp for the Left and Right channels and for the Sub.  Two channel sources are plugged into other inputs of the 2-channel preamp.  When listening to 2-channel sources the receiver is not used and the active analog source signal goes directly to the 2-channel preamp and then to the power amp.  In home theater mode, the receiver processes the signal and the signal from the left, right and sub outputs from the receiver pass through the 2-channel preamp in a passive manner to the respective power amp inputs.  Often, the 2-channel preamp will pass-through these signals even when turned off.   

If my explanation is not clear, take a look at the manual for a 2-channel preamp with this feature.  The Parasound 2100 is one example.  Here is a link to the information on the manufacturer's web page which includes a manual that may be downloaded.  http://www.parasound.com/nc/2100.php

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #23 on: 4 Apr 2009, 09:51 am »

mchuckp - don't think anyone here is going to call you anything. As one of the frequently befuddled, I've found only helpful folks at this oasis.

You pose a good question. Having read thru this thread, if that is what your referencing regarding the 2 ch + HT setup, specifically Nuance's comment, note that he says a good preamp & amp for 2 ch. Then the HT system adjacent. Frank Van Alstine has a diagram his AudioBasics August 2000 issue that provides the configuration for a 5.1 HT in conjunction with a dedicated 2 channel system, it's what I used to put together my system. A little more involved wiring & equipment-wise than a simple 1 unit setup, but imo eliminates compromise in either set-up if the two are combined in one location.

MichiganMike covers it well for your receiver setup I believe. Frank's Ultra Preamps also have EPL for such a setup.

mchuckp

« Reply #24 on: 4 Apr 2009, 12:16 pm »
Thanks to ArthurDent and MichiganMike for the input.  I'll read through some manuals as noted to understand it more thoroughly, but I think I get it now.

I love the idea of setting it up this way, but hate the idea of adding MORE gear.  I really do like the idea of simplified set ups for everything but yet my gear list continues to grow and grow.  My growing love for 2-channel music keeps tempting me to forego all this surround stuff which I've had for years and just get a stereo preamp/amp, source components, and a good pair of mains.  However, I'm one who loves to hear tracks unprocessed.  This is ideal for music but now all my movies will have to be downmixed on the fly. 

Any, I feel I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place here.  What I really need is a HT and a separate music room.  However, like many, is tough to accomplish with house size and WAF.

mchuckp - don't think anyone here is going to call you anything. As one of the frequently befuddled, I've found only helpful folks at this oasis.

You pose a good question. Having read thru this thread, if that is what your referencing regarding the 2 ch + HT setup, specifically Nuance's comment, note that he says a good preamp & amp for 2 ch. Then the HT system adjacent. Frank Van Alstine has a diagram his AudioBasics August 2000 issue that provides the configuration for a 5.1 HT in conjunction with a dedicated 2 channel system, it's what I used to put together my system. A little more involved wiring & equipment-wise than a simple 1 unit setup, but imo eliminates compromise in either set-up if the two are combined in one location.

MichiganMike covers it well for your receiver setup I believe. Frank's Ultra Preamps also have EPL for such a setup.

bigbwb

« Reply #25 on: 4 Apr 2009, 03:48 pm »
I can confirm that having a good 2 ch pre with HT bypass in my setup is great.  I own the parasound 2100(nuance heard mine at my place) and its leaps and bounds better in terms of imaging, bass definition, and clarity over my mid level yamaha receiver.  Other than upgrading speakers, this has been the largest improvement I have made in my setup to date!  I dont think its just the 2100 in general, but really any quality 2ch pre should be a good step up over most modern receivers.  The preamp has one job to do and it does it well versus a receiver that has to wear many hats.

Best of luck,

Brandon

Philistine

« Reply #26 on: 4 Apr 2009, 04:20 pm »
I too use a similar approach with a Rotel 1098 HT processor and integrated Musical Fidelity amp, main speakers being HT3's.

Unfortunately my ear/perception is very sensitive with 2 channel audio and the Rotel didn't give me good enough 2 channel quality when compared with a tubed preamp.  After reading about, and owning, Anthem products I demoed the Statement D1 processor and it still didn't match up to the tubed preamp for 2 channel.  Conclusion was to use a hybrid approach along the lines suggested on this thread, it does add another box to the system and a little more inconvenience.  If the HT processor gives an acceptable sound performance in 2 channel then it's still the optimum approach, if it doesn't then the preamp with HT bypass is doable.

Rocket

« Reply #27 on: 5 Apr 2009, 02:50 am »
Hi,

I use 2 x N.E.W. 20.1's in monoblock form.  They are rated at 88 watts per channel and drive my salk sound ht2's easily.  I also have a Son of Ampzilla rated at 120 watts and I hear no difference.

The ht2 is more efficient than the ht3 speaker.  I sure wish the ht2tl was out last year when I bought my ht2's.

Regards

Rod