Joining the Club

Crackinjahcs

Re: Joining the Club
« Reply #20 on: 23 Jan 2009, 05:27 pm »
Now how does one spend the time waiting without going crazy?
Joel  :D

By checking your email account every 20 minutes until you get a tracking number.  Then you check the tracking number every 5 minutes for updates.  -- Like I did :wink:

Randy

« Reply #21 on: 23 Jan 2009, 06:40 pm »
p.m. for Joelmilr

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #22 on: 23 Jan 2009, 07:43 pm »
Congratulations!!!

I am waiting as well!!

I am sure the wait will be worth it!!

I will post my impressions and look forward to reading yours as well!!

All the VERY best!

Alex

AliG

« Reply #23 on: 23 Jan 2009, 07:52 pm »
I am waiting for my open-baffle speakers in Tineo veneer too. Hopefully Jim manages to take a few pictures before he packs them up today. :drool: :drool:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #24 on: 23 Jan 2009, 08:08 pm »
I am waiting for my open-baffle speakers in Tineo veneer too. Hopefully Jim manages to take a few pictures before he packs them up today. :drool: :drool:

What are you going to use for amplification?

George

AliG

« Reply #25 on: 23 Jan 2009, 08:37 pm »
The legendary: aa aa

I made the decision after comparing it against Audio Mirror SET 45W - which used to top my list of 'most-wanted' amps.. :roll:

rydenfan

« Reply #26 on: 23 Jan 2009, 09:08 pm »
Sweet  :thumb:

Barry, I have a friend who is a Mac dealer. If you need any help scoring one for a good price just let me know and I can put you guys in touch.

AliG

« Reply #27 on: 24 Jan 2009, 01:40 am »
rydenfan, thanks, I will sure give you a shout if I decide to buy a second MC275. :wink: :wink:

Jim just emailed me and told me that he had shipped my speakers!!!!! :thankyou: :hyper: :banana piano:

I don't know about you guys, but Jim is one of the FINEST men I have ever met. He worked on my speaker until 10pm last night, but when he listened to it, he didn't quite like how they sounded. So today he took apart the speakers and modified the crossover. He finally got it done by late afternoon. However the FedEx Ground cutoff time is 6pm, and he thought he would probably miss it. But he rushed it out anyway and reached FedEx center at 6.05pm - just managed to sneak them into the truck  :o :o

I felt so bad putting him through all these. If he had given me a call today, I would have told him to slow down and I would be equally happy if he ships them out on Monday.

But Jim is just being Jim.... what more can I say? :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Barry, I have a friend who is a Mac dealer. If you need any help scoring one for a good price just let me know and I can put you guys in touch.

rydenfan

« Reply #28 on: 24 Jan 2009, 02:16 am »
CONGRATS  :thumb: Cannot wait to see some pics  :D

fishinbob

« Reply #29 on: 24 Jan 2009, 02:55 am »
rydenfan, thanks, I will sure give you a shout if I decide to buy a second MC275. :wink: :wink:

Jim just emailed me and told me that he had shipped my speakers!!!!! :thankyou: :hyper: :banana piano:

I don't know about you guys, but Jim is one of the FINEST men I have ever met. He worked on my speaker until 10pm last night, but when he listened to it, he didn't quite like how they sounded. So today he took apart the speakers and modified the crossover. He finally got it done by late afternoon. However the FedEx Ground cutoff time is 6pm, and he thought he would probably miss it. But he rushed it out anyway and reached FedEx center at 6.05pm - just managed to sneak them into the truck  :o :o

I felt so bad putting him through all these. If he had given me a call today, I would have told him to slow down and I would be equally happy if he ships them out on Monday.

But Jim is just being Jim.... what more can I say? :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

So do they have a name? Or have I missed something?
I like your choice of power too.  :thumb:

TJC712

« Reply #30 on: 24 Jan 2009, 03:39 am »
Thanks for your kind words...its now a 6 year long battle with cancer and it really sucks at times...

I chose the plain black satin, basically because all my other speakers are flat black...satin finish...money isnt the real issue, but the black will fit in my listening room cosmetically very well.

I spent a few hours tonight listening to the Dahlquist QX10, that are biwired and really sound wonderful...very musical tight bass, but they lack in overall dynamic range...training my ears for the upcoming speakerfest! They are only 34 " tall, 18 deep and 8 in  wide...and have 3 5" speakers and one 1" titanium dome tweeter...

The Dahlquists are ready for bi-wiring, I was wondering if the QWTs are or can the be? I sent Jim an email on this.
I like the Acoustic Alchemy cd's, I got to see them in a small concert and was in the front row, for FREE!! I really lucked out,even if i had to sit in front of a large speaker in the sound setup!!! :D

Unamplified strings are a very good test of a speaker...its how 'musical' they produce sound, you know do instruments sound like instruments?? The mid-range is sooooo soooooo impoprtant here...

Reed instruments also are a real challenge, like the sax and clarinet.....cant wait to play all those Spyrogyra cds as well...

I think the one thing that will make these speakers much better imaging than the dahlquists is they are taller and the tweeter is at ear level, this should work out very well.

Ok for now..later
Alex

Alex:

I just received my ST/RT's a week ago along with a SongCenter.  I had all three done in Black Satin to match some other stuff and I love the way they look (even with FedEx manhandling one of them).  You're going to love them.  Once the music starts, it really doesn't much matter what they look like, as I'm sure you'll find out.

Secondly, and more importantly, I'll have good thoughts regarding the Mrs.  Many believe that music possesses healing properties, so stay positive and expedite that healing process!   Tim

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #31 on: 25 Jan 2009, 12:49 am »
TJC712,

Thanks for the kind comments!

I have been spending some time now revisiting several of my all time favorites. I started another thread called "Outstanding Demo CD's et.."
To share the cds that I really like that not only have great music but are well recorded and have great dynamic range...

I have several hundred cd's and only 30-40 are really in that class.

I cant wait to revisit them via the SongTowers....which I fondly refer to as QWT's...

Nice meeting you!

Alex

fsimms

« Reply #32 on: 25 Jan 2009, 02:49 am »
Jim just emailed me and told me that he had shipped my speakers!!!!!

Congratulations!  I was worried that you wouldn't be able to get them in time!  Your friend is going to be thrilled!

Bob

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #33 on: 8 Feb 2009, 04:05 am »
Well its February and this should be the month the Songtowers arrive!!!

I have been occupying my time worrying about the stability of my job and life in general.

Its a nice escape to have like relearning and revisiting lots of great music.

The thread we started on Demo disks has worked well in that I have been able to share many of my favorites. In turn many of you have shared your favorites and I thank you for that.

I have had several discussions with many about going down the 2 ch analog route and buying some seperates again in the future. Maybe a 2 ch amp and a preamp.

But the nicest part is meeting many new virtual friends and sharing the joy of listening to the music we like over great speakers like the Salks!!

Fingers crossed , is that the FEDEX truck I here??  :D

Alex

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #34 on: 18 Feb 2009, 02:40 am »
The Eagle Has Landed!!

Oh My!

It will take me several days to setup and listen to do a really good job in writing up a review or impressions post.

All I was able to do today was take them out of the box, stare at them, put the bases on, put them in place, hook up the biwires, and I did play 3-4 of Jims demo tunes...I had to end it there due to family plans with my wonderful grandaughter!!  :D...

The original plan was to get home early and play, but work and life sometimes just do not line up the way you want.

But the neat thing is the wait is over and my first impressions were, very, very well packed, no damage anywhere, 2 boxes, one for the speakers and one for the other stuff.

Jims Birth Certificate and the entire construction / build team signing it was a real neat thing to get.

I got the satin black finish and they are extremely classy looking, like very, very professional looking....serious and looking like they mean business.

I was impressed at the detail and the many instruction sheets included. But there was ONE item that was totally unexpected in the smaller box with the plinths...

The instructions on maintenance indicates not to use wax or polish...just a slightly damp cloth to wipe them down every once in awhile. But I never expected Jim to actually throw in a really nice BRIGHT YELLOW MICRO-FIBER CLOTH to use to wipe them down!!!

I called Jim and joked with him about this, I told him it was not clear why this cloth was included!!  :D only kidding! But it made me smile to see this yellow object in a zip lock bag!
Awesome!

The based and the spikes seem to work well in my carpet and are very stable, seeing how slender and tall the SongTowers are. You need to be careful threading the spikes in the base, its easy to cross thread them....

The build quality very, very good, the look and the drivers look absolutely fantastic. Yes I get turned on with really great stuff and I think I am just happy to look at them!!

I did play 3-4 tunes but will hold back on a musical review after I get a few days of playing all my favorites etc...but from what little I heard with the first placement in my room this is going to be a real treat....I can tell.

Be back in a few days with pix as well.

All the Best
Alex

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #35 on: 18 Feb 2009, 03:25 am »
Alex:

Congratulations! 

Look forward to your review.

Gord_Toronto

« Reply #36 on: 18 Feb 2009, 04:00 am »
Adjula

Been following your posts.  Very strong congrats and very excited for you

Nuance

« Reply #37 on: 18 Feb 2009, 04:44 am »
Five months ago I accidentally stumbled upon Nuance's post - In Search of the Perfect Speaker. Since that day I have been following this forum and the AVS forum every day, learning about Salk Speakers. And getting very excited about speakers that I have never heard. I have been dreaming about a high end stereo for at least 35 years and yet never had the ability to endulge myself.
Well those days are over my friends. Dreams can come true if you persevere -
 I just ordered a pair of HT2 speakers in transmission line cabinets and can't tell you how great it feels. The appropiate amp will have to wait a while so as to gather more funds.
These will be the first and only Salk speakers here in Israel as well as in all of the Middle East.
Thank you everyone for posting comments and thoughts and pictures - and Nuance for starting this bug on the internet and getting me as well as others involved.
I look forward to posting MY impressions!!!
Now how does one spend the time waiting without going crazy?
Joel  :D
Congrats, Joel!  I think you made a great choice, and you'll be one of the first few with the new HT2 TL design.  Too cool!   8)

During your wait for the HT2's, spend time with the family and kids (if you have any), work on other hobbies...anything to take your mind off the Salk's.  Anything that NEEDS to be done, get it done now because when those speakers arrive, all you'll want to do is re-discover your entire music collection. 

Again, congrats, Joel!  I can't wait to see pics and read your impressions!

joelmilr

« Reply #38 on: 18 Feb 2009, 01:28 pm »
Alex
Congratualtions. Reading about your excitement helps me with my wait for speakers now being built.
Enjoy and I look forward to reading about your impressions.

Brandon
Thanks for the good wishes. The truth is I am going a bit patso waiting for the speakers. I read this forum at least three times a day, as well as the AVS forum. And I dream about them arriving at my doorstep. I am plenty busy but the HT2's are always there plastered to my thoughts no matter what I do. This is called falling in Love isn't it?
I will take a day or two off from work to enjoy them fully once they arrive otherwise I will never get any work done. As for the kids - well I am a bit up there in age by now - so the only one left at home of the four is my 17 year old daughter - all the rest, including two grandchildren, live out of the home.
I think it was Alex who stated that this is one hobby that always keeps you alive and young.
Take care everyone and thanks to all who keep posting and help me pass the time waiting for this newborn to enter.
Joel

ardee

« Reply #39 on: 19 Feb 2009, 01:49 am »
Wanted to say hello to everybody and echo what Joel has said about reading the forum to pass the time.   Really enjoy reading everyones reviews.   I have been reading about Salk for about a year and a half here and at avs.    I was very interested when I began learning about the different speakers and everyone that owns them.    A proud bunch for sure.     As I read more and more I began to get an idea of the kind of guy Jim is and how he runs his business.    This last part is what sealed the deal for me.   

I ordered my HT3's, HTC & HT1's a couple of weeks ago and its already driving me nuts.    Having a little one around really helps pass the time though.   

Congrats to Alex for the new speaks.