Philharmonic Slim

fsimms

Philharmonic Slim
« on: 16 Apr 2013, 05:22 pm »

Here is a picture of a new Philharmonic prototype.  Why am I showing this in a Salk thread?  Jim built the prototype and Dennis Murphy says that Jim can make a premium version for people.  It is supposed to be sort of a SS8 light speaker.  It has the open back like the SoundScapes and is said to have an extremely transparent sound.   I haven’t heard it, but I have never let ignorance stop me before.  I would expect it to have a somewhat similar sound to the SS8, but without the super tight bass slam.  It also has thinner walls than a SS8 which should make it fall a bit short of the crystal clarity that the SoundScapes have. 

Bob

Austin08

Re: Philharmonic Slim
« Reply #1 on: 16 Apr 2013, 05:30 pm »
Nice build. Wht is the spec?

Art_Chicago

« Reply #2 on: 16 Apr 2013, 05:32 pm »
thanks!
would be great to see Jim's comments on the SQ and the pricing with his standard veneer.

Ace Deprave

« Reply #3 on: 16 Apr 2013, 05:54 pm »
Very interesting!

WGH

« Reply #4 on: 16 Apr 2013, 06:55 pm »

It has the open back like the SoundScapes and is said to have an extremely transparent sound. 

Nice!

I'm getting real close to cutting a hole in the back of my HT2-TL's. (Just kidding Jim)

Wayne

audio1246

« Reply #5 on: 16 Apr 2013, 09:41 pm »
Guess who got the prototypes that Jim built for Dennis :)

Art_Chicago

« Reply #6 on: 16 Apr 2013, 09:50 pm »

So, how do they sound? Awesome, I know, but details , please.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #7 on: 16 Apr 2013, 09:52 pm »

Here is a picture of a new Philharmonic prototype.  Why am I showing this in a Salk thread?  Jim built the prototype and Dennis Murphy says that Jim can make a premium version for people.  It is supposed to be sort of a SS8 light speaker.  It has the open back like the SoundScapes and is said to have an extremely transparent sound.   I haven’t heard it, but I have never let ignorance stop me before.  I would expect it to have a somewhat similar sound to the SS8, but without the super tight bass slam.  It also has thinner walls than a SS8 which should make it fall a bit short of the crystal clarity that the SoundScapes have. 

Bob

That sound about right.  There's only so much slam you can get out of a 6.5" woofer, even if it is a ScanSpeak Revelator.  And I'm not claiming the titanium midrange is quite as super refined as the Accuton.  In any event, it appears that both speakers will be playing in the same room at the Capital Audio Fest in July.  And I want to thank Jim for taking this on.  I doubt that many (any) other producers would agree to an arrangement like this. 

Saturn94

« Reply #8 on: 16 Apr 2013, 09:53 pm »

You dog!

OK, fess up and give more details!

Saturn94

« Reply #9 on: 16 Apr 2013, 09:58 pm »
...  I doubt that many (any) other producers would agree to an arrangement like this.

This speaks volumes about why you guys have many, many fans.  :thumb:

audio1246

« Reply #10 on: 16 Apr 2013, 10:02 pm »
Alright alright. They are still in transit and if FedEx doesn't mess up then they should be with me tomorrow :D. I will definitely do a non audiophile review once I get them setup. I will be powering them with my Denon 4520 and/or crown xls 1500.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #11 on: 16 Apr 2013, 10:33 pm »
Alright alright. They are still in transit and if FedEx doesn't mess up then they should be with me tomorrow :D. I will definitely do a non audiophile review once I get them setup. I will be powering them with my Denon 4520 and/or crown xls 1500.

I'm a little uneasy about using up more of Jim's space on a Philharmonic speaker.  There are dedicated threads on AVS and Audioholics that are probably more appropriate venues for comments and reviews. 

JonnyFive

« Reply #12 on: 17 Apr 2013, 01:08 pm »
In any event, it appears that both speakers will be playing in the same room at the Capital Audio Fest in July.

Can't wait! :)

Saturn94

« Reply #13 on: 22 Apr 2013, 12:57 am »

Looking forward to your impressions.  Let us know where you decide to post your review (I agree with Dennis that here is not the appropriate place).

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #14 on: 9 Jun 2013, 12:56 am »
That sound about right.  There's only so much slam you can get out of a 6.5" woofer, even if it is a ScanSpeak Revelator.  And I'm not claiming the titanium midrange is quite as super refined as the Accuton.  In any event, it appears that both speakers will be playing in the same room at the Capital Audio Fest in July.  And I want to thank Jim for taking this on.  I doubt that many (any) other producers would agree to an arrangement like this.

dennis,

have you or jim ever talked about or have built an M7 monitor soundscape as a floor standing speaker? maybe with an extra 7" woofer?

i ask as i'm considering and upgrade from an HT2-TL to something with the RAAL /Accuton combo. but living in an apartment, having a smaller room and listening to lots of chamber music, i don't need the bass of soundscape 8. that, and i'm partial to my quicksilver 80 watt amps.

nick

chargedmr2

« Reply #15 on: 9 Jun 2013, 03:52 am »
I'm sure Jim and Dennis can elaborate, but until they do, head over to the Salk website and read "the story" of the SS8.  You'll find the answer to your question in the first sentence.  :thumb:

jsalk

« Reply #16 on: 9 Jun 2013, 12:52 pm »
nyc_paramedic -

We do have just such a speaker.  You will not find it on our web site, but here is a picture...

- Jim

DRSmith

« Reply #17 on: 9 Jun 2013, 01:23 pm »
Jim,

Just curious…

The M7 is listed as going down to 42Hz… but in the description of the SS8 you talk about the SS7 as only going down to 45Hz.  It seems like with 2 woofers and a bigger cabinet that it should go down a little lower than the monitor (M7).  Different woofers? or, something only the speaker designer understands?

Thanks

jsalk

« Reply #18 on: 9 Jun 2013, 05:10 pm »
The number stated on the SS8 page should have been 42Hz, just as with the M7's.  Having two woofers only effects sensitivity and power handling.  The woofers do not play any lower.

- Jim

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #19 on: 10 Jun 2013, 02:44 am »
The number stated on the SS8 page should have been 42Hz, just as with the M7's.  Having two woofers only effects sensitivity and power handling.  The woofers do not play any lower.

jim,

what's the relationship between a narrow baffle and sound stage + imaging? what are the drawbacks? i remember seeing an older post for a speaker you built, but not of your design, where the woofers were side mounted.

i also remember that the original audio physic virgos, another slim design with side mounted woofers, was a very well regarded speaker in terms of sound stage, imaging and its bass extension.

hh