Integrated amps that complement Songtowers?

RenaissanceMan

Integrated amps that complement Songtowers?
« on: 10 Jan 2012, 05:05 am »
Hi there-

I'm new to the forum and the hobby, and just purchased a pair of used black satin Songtowers from a gentleman on Audiogon. The speakers won't arrive until Wednesday, but in the meantime I am enjoying perusing the forums and learning more about hi-fi and the synergy of components. I'm basically starting from scratch; the Songtowers were my first purchase and I plan on taking my time to try to learn and listen as much as I can. Right now I only have an old Yamaha A/V receiver to power the speakers with. It is rated at 80w/ch RMS at 8 ohms and 85w/ch at 6 ohms. My next purchase will most likely be an integrated amp. I am slightly leaning towards a tube/solid state hybrid, but am open to feedback and suggestions. My budget for an integrated amp will be about $1000, so I am planning on buying something used.

Can any of you offer some suggestions for integrated amps in my budget that would complement these speakers well? FWIW I am looking for a 'warmer' sound as opposed to a sound more bright or brash... Thanks in advance for any insight!
« Last Edit: 10 Jan 2012, 01:55 pm by RenaissanceMan »

tabrink

• lake life is good
Re: Integrated amps that complement Songtowers?
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jan 2012, 05:26 am »
I have owned Vincent, Anthem etc. Nothing is even in the same league of the Virtue Sensation IMHO.
The new Rega sounds cute as well.
My Sensation has clarity I have not experienced in a long time. (not a pun due to Clarity caps upgrade)
Best,
Tom

Zero

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jan 2012, 07:19 am »
The good news is that there are plenty of great amps at this price point. The 'bad' news is that it may be difficult to select one from the batch. Now before I begin to riff off a number of different suggestions, I have a few questions to ask: First, do you have any specific requirements beyond bringing home something that has a 'warmer' sound?  For example: Do you need lots of inputs?  Do you need USB connectivity?  Do you want a built-in M/M phono stage?  Do you have any specific power requirements? How about a remote? Anyway, onto the recommendations...

-----BIAS ALERT-----

The best sounding sub-$1000 integrated I've heard to date is the Vista Audio i34. It's pretty bare bones as far as features go. But if you can live with only three or so inputs and 35wpc, I'd say it's a premium piece to consider. Supremely balanced. Decently built.  And relevant to your situation; it makes for a great match with the Songtowers.  I (briefly) ran this exact combo a couple years ago. Both of these pieces compliment each other quite well, and if you remove the stock JJ power tubes with a matched set of Tung Sol EL84's - man..  that's the kinda combo that should keep a smile on your face for a long time. 

Moving on..  The Virtue Audio 'Sensation' is also a fairly good recommendation, as is the Rega Brio R.  Both are great, musical sounding pieces, and should match your Songtower's fairly well.  The cool thing about the Sensation is that you can customize it to the hilt, both aesthetically and electronically.  Plus, the boys (and girls) who run Virtue Audio are top shelf people.

And the list goes on and on..

RenaissanceMan

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jan 2012, 03:32 pm »
Thanks for the replies!

I'm thinking I don't necessarily need a whole lot of inputs... My plan so far was to purchase a reasonably-priced multiple-input DAC, such as the Emotiva XDA-1, Beresford DAC or similar, which I figured would handle the digital outputs from my CD/DVD player, MacBook Pro, and my XBox. Outside of that, I plan to eventually get a turntable, so it would be nice to have a built-in phono stage if it sounded decent. I just finished reading about the Rega, Vista Audio, and the Sensation. All of them sound like they would do a great job. I also found a used Rogue Tempest Magnum (1st generation) on Audiogon in the same price range. However, I don't think it has a phono stage built-in...

kip_

« Reply #4 on: 10 Jan 2012, 03:47 pm »
How big is your room? 35wpc might be fine in a small room but I think you'd want more in a larger one.

Art_Chicago

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jan 2012, 04:16 pm »
I would try a used Van Alstine Insight+ Control Amp-- 90 w/ch.  I saw it on A'gon about a month ago under a grand, i think. If you call Frank Van Alstine, he may be able to find one for you :D

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #6 on: 10 Jan 2012, 04:49 pm »
   Whatever you choose for the Songtowers its character should be on the warm or rich side of things.
    If you want to keep it simple look at Marantz, NAD or Music Hall. Better than one might think. Bang for the buck. If ya wanna spend Luxman or Mac Intosh would be my choice for the Songtowers. Synergy baby. A very good starting point. BTW the Vista is a killer as well but the 35W may be an issue. Have not heard the Virtue.

charles

ricardojoa

« Reply #7 on: 10 Jan 2012, 07:35 pm »
You may wanna check out audio space, it is well regarded in Hong kong
http://www.gini.com/index.php?id=10, carries them.

RenaissanceMan

« Reply #8 on: 10 Jan 2012, 07:41 pm »
kip, the room is roughly 19' x 13' and open to the stairwells on one side, with a vaulted asymmetrical ceiling. Honestly, I'd like to have a little more power than I need. One thing I've learned from my career as a bass player is that headroom is a good thing!  :green: I don't plan on listening at concert levels all the time, but I want to be able to turn it up without fear of 'square-waving' my speakers.

The NAD and Music Hall products had been suggested to me before. I was moving in the direction of tubes expecting a (potentially) greater degree of warmth and depth, but I'm sure there are probably some other products that do a great job of that without tubes. Once again, I'm still learning here.

rollo, I really like what you are saying about going for warmth/richness... My understanding was that the Songtowers are fundementally very accurate speakers but with a slight touch of color. Would you say that's an accurate representation? Thanks again-

stlrman

« Reply #9 on: 10 Jan 2012, 07:54 pm »
You may want to look at hybrid integrated amps. I just sold my 100 watt Jolida hybrid amp for $450. You can get the alot of power, with tubes in pre section for warmth in the midrange. Maybe  some others can recommend a few more good hybrid performers, that may work for you.
I would be looking for at least 100 watts and up.
Todd

clipped

« Reply #10 on: 11 Jan 2012, 12:51 am »
I have a pair of Towers driven by AVA integrated I think 90 wpc, not that the number always means anything.
I understand it is above you price point, but, I can tell you it sounds great I have had others listen as well and never has anyone said otherwise.
Perhaps, wait and get some more $ together, I know the feeling of I want it now, but, I have learned do it once and be happy, usually...............
With that said I will be upgrading my AVA amp shortly :duh: lol

RenaissanceMan

« Reply #11 on: 11 Jan 2012, 02:23 am »

With that said I will be upgrading my AVA amp shortly :duh: lol

So, does that mean you'll be selling me your AVA integrated, then??   :green:

Zero

« Reply #12 on: 11 Jan 2012, 02:56 am »
Hmmm.  Let's see...  You gotta 19x13' open room, average efficiency speakers, and ya want headroom?  Man, as much as I'd love for you to hear the Songtower/i34 combo, I'm not 100% confident that 35 wpc will be enough current for ya. Sure, it'll be fine for jazz, vocal, folk, and acoustic oriented music - but in a space like that, I wouldn't count on it beastin' rock and big scale orchestral pieces.

Given your room and stated needs, I'd take closer look at the Rega Brio R. It seems to be hitting on all the key things you want. Whatever you end up with, I concur with Rollo's statement - the SongTower's tend to sound best with a warmer sounding amp. 

putz

« Reply #13 on: 11 Jan 2012, 05:30 am »
I'm powering my Songtowers with a Jolida 502BRC. Put some decent NOS preamp tubes and Penta or Black Treasure KT88s in a used one and you're right around $1k. There's also the 302 model which uses EL34s and is supposed to be more musical. I listen to a lot of rock so I went with the 502 which packs more punch.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #14 on: 11 Jan 2012, 01:12 pm »
I also found a used Rogue Tempest Magnum (1st generation) on Audiogon in the same price range. However, I don't think it has a phono stage built-in...

A phono board can be bought from Rogue but it may put you over your price limit.  Their phono boards sound surprisingly good for how simple they look!  There are a number of external phono stages that can be had for under $300.

coke

« Reply #15 on: 11 Jan 2012, 02:36 pm »
My dad went with used AVA and Eastern Electric gear for his system.  We are both very impressed with the sound for the money. 

Not integrated, but we got an insight preamp, insight 260 amp, and a eastern electric DAC for around $1,500.  Can't think of much that would come close to this for the price.

clipped

« Reply #16 on: 11 Jan 2012, 04:43 pm »

The integrated/Towers system is a second system for the playroom, I figured if I have to have music/sound I might as well go overboard :D
The amp in question is in the "listening room" / man-cave  :thumb:
I have to wait untl after the Super Bowl so to avoid not having an amp for the big game.

PSB Guy

« Reply #17 on: 11 Jan 2012, 08:03 pm »
If you can find a used AVA integrated, snag it. I've had one for a while now and it's one of the most musical amps I've ever heard. Contact Frank, sometimes he has used stuff for sale that is not on the website. That's how I got mine.

Cornelis

floresjc

« Reply #18 on: 13 Jan 2012, 03:56 am »
I had an AVA Integrated in my home for just a couple weeks, but I was really impressed with it. First piece of AVA gear I ever bought, and I'm hooked now.

Should complement the SongTowers nicely if you go that route.

max190

• Home of the St. Louis Cardinals!
« Reply #19 on: 14 Jan 2012, 01:14 pm »
 :idea:
This hybrid integ does it for me. Comes in under your budget but no phono stage.
http://www.pacificvalve.us/BDC222.html