Portal 2 for PS3

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Portal 2 for PS3
« on: 21 Apr 2011, 02:16 am »
Whenever I have a known f_cked up event on the schedule, like a medical test thats gonna hurt etc. I try and offset the torture with a nice thing following, steak dinner, PS3 Game, New Equipment, and it gets out of hand easily....thats another thread. So today I had an EMNG of arms and hands-if you know what this is right now your wincing, think volts and longish needles...so I got PORTAL 2 for PS3 and its a real treat.
 First of all the PS3 game has a code inside that gives you the game on your PC for free, a Steam account(FREE) which I had and right now 60 miles away my kids signed on to my Steam acct and are downloading the game....very handy to have 2 game platforms with one release. I was unaware of this bonus so it was a nice find.
 Portal is a Puzzle game where you work your way through a maze thats a blown up facility in the future. And you do it by using a gun that creates Portals that you walk through to get to the next objective, the puzzles are silly hard and sometimes just make you feel plain dumb-at least me, I'll admit it!!!
 Its a game that draws you in and should be a ton of fun for anybody who likes to solve intricate, 1 step at a time puzzles.
 Its looks great-Steam, VALVE, everybody involved are top shelf gaming establishments. Enjoy!!

Pez

Re: Portal 2 for PS3
« Reply #1 on: 21 Apr 2011, 02:33 am »
I just got this yesterday as well. It is on PC mac, xbox ps3 etc etc etc. Ummm I sorta... beat it already in first player mode.  :oops: Like the 1st one, I really didn't have too much trouble figuring it out. The first one was pretty short, this one took longer because there are a ton more levels. Hilarious characters, great physics and interesting premise. Give it a try if you haven't.  :thumb:

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 21 Apr 2011, 02:49 am »
This will take me months....LOL...I'm not that sharp at this stuff....its fun to play and thats what makes it a treat!!! Go Pez...Beat Portal 2 already....WOW!!!!

Pez

« Reply #3 on: 21 Apr 2011, 04:06 am »
I'm not sure why, I just get it when it comes to Portal. I beat the first one very quickly and this one in less than 7 hours total game play (reviews say at least 10 hours). It's a ton of fun and makes you think outside of the Companion Cube.  :wink:

If anyone is on PC and would like to play 2 player mode shoot me a PM.  :thumb:

nathanm

« Reply #4 on: 22 Apr 2011, 02:22 pm »
I'm fixin' to play Portal 2 as well.  Although it sure would be nice to see Episode 3 of HL2 one of these days.  *sigh*  I'm anxious to see how\if Gordon's story will tie in with the events at Aperture Science.

nathanm

« Reply #5 on: 5 May 2011, 02:29 pm »
You must be a gaming wizard Pez, cause I didn't get nearly that far in 6 hours!  I got up to the introduction of the blue gel then I had to go to bed.  It's one of those things where it takes me 20 minutes to figure out a simple puzzle and then when I finally get it I feel like, "well DUH!" But then the next one I might get right away. The scenes 'outside' Aperture with the massive structures were really awesome.  The design of this game is sooo beautiful.  I loved the little touches like the kids' science projects, the sentry bot assembly and the award case.
« Last Edit: 5 May 2011, 04:39 pm by nathanm »

jaywills

« Reply #6 on: 5 May 2011, 02:49 pm »
Keep at it Nate, the "science projects" turn out to be life support for something later in the game.  My 16 y/o daughter, who's been playing shooters since she was six or so (yes, yes, I'm confident she'll grow up to be a McDonald's mass murderer) and I finished the solo game night before last, having played it over 5 or 6 days.  Tons of fun and you end up on the moon (as you'll see, this is not a spoiler)!  Haven't attempted co-op play as PlayStation Network has been down, so we can't register our copy on our Steam-playing computers.  Wonderfully creative game.

BTW, we're playing on a 108" PJ screen with decent surround sound and it's really been an enjoyable visual/aural experience.  Highly recommended.

nathanm

« Reply #7 on: 5 May 2011, 04:50 pm »
I might have to take my Xbox over to my folks' house with the 50" plasma.  Not that my 21" CRT at home is bad, but the large scale is a bit more enveloping.  I remember how damn awesome HL2 EP2 looked on the big TV.

If you ask me, narrative-type video games are more cinematic and cooler than movies.  It ticked me off that Lorne Lanning decided to pack up his Oddworld franchise in order to make movies (which AFAIK hasn't happened)  Movies?  That's so dated! Heh!  We've got interactive movies now!  Take that Roger Ebert!  These games have proper actors in them now, not just a string of canned sound files.  Okay, so it still is a string of canned sound files...but it doesn't seem that way.  And hell, video games have commentary tracks now.  The Half-Life\Portal commentaries were so cool.  It's amazing to hear the amount of thought that goes into them.  All that play testing really pays off.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 5 May 2011, 04:56 pm »
I sit every night and try to solve one or two puzzles and its fun, funny and challenging. I want to play co-op with somebody and see what thats like so if interested PM me and we'll wait for PSN to get its act together and then laugh our asses off doing co-op portal...only NON-serious players only-this is for FUN, remember fun from when we played with sticks in the dirt (George Carlin)....I'm rambling about dirt---I'm outta here... :green:

OH and PEZ is a freak of nature--"one day to beat this game is pretty awesome!!!!!"

Pez

« Reply #9 on: 7 May 2011, 03:19 pm »
OH and PEZ is a freak of nature--"one day to beat this game is pretty awesome!!!!!"

You mean I'm a FORCE of nature.  :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: ;)

I tried to post this earlier, but I guess I failed. Any way, few tips. 1. If you are confused about a map try portaling up to higher ground to survey what you are looking at. often times you are missing something because of your position and it helps to get a birds eye view. 2. some maps require complex steps. Before you try to progress just stop and make sure you understand what it is that needs to be accomplished in what order for you to move on. When I get frustrated I often just start doing stuff and it never works, it's just better to stop and make sure you get what needs to happen.

Good luck.  :thumb:

werd

« Reply #10 on: 8 May 2011, 05:33 pm »
I'm not sure why, I just get it when it comes to Portal. I beat the first one very quickly and this one in less than 7 hours total game play (reviews say at least 10 hours). It's a ton of fun and makes you think outside of the Companion Cube.  :wink:

If anyone is on PC and would like to play 2 player mode shoot me a PM.  :thumb:

Games sounds good but i don't want to spend 60 bucks on a game that i will wrap in 5 hrs.  :D Its too much.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 31 May 2011, 10:58 pm »
I'm stuck, I'll find out what chapter or room# it is and post again...but its a room with Glass along two sides with turrets guarding an optical and regular box and the button activates a laser from the ceiling and I'm stuck, stuck.  I'm going up high like Pez suggests and get a different view, I always eventually get the puzzle but this one has forced me to ask for HELP!!!!! :wink: :? :rotflmao:

jaywills

« Reply #12 on: 31 May 2011, 11:03 pm »
Open a portal where the laser strikes and another down the first hall of robots.  When you stand on the button, the laser will fry them (and you can get to the second chamber of 'bots).  Enjoy.  Cordially,

Pez

« Reply #13 on: 31 May 2011, 11:21 pm »
ya, laser the hell out of those turrets and life will be easy for you after that.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 31 May 2011, 11:40 pm »
I knew there was a way..Thanks, Thanks, and Thanks..... :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 1 Jun 2011, 01:12 pm »
OK....you guys just see this better then I, I'm ok to a point and then I loose the abstract thought needed or whatever you'd call it. Now I'm in a room with a laser that when allowed to, hits a button which raises a platform at one end of the room to the final door except I have to figure out a way to get on the platform and then move the cube so the laser hits the button raising me up to the final door. There are those blue/glass walkways/slideways- I think I need to make a walkway go right over the button holding the cube to block the laser and then get on the platform and remove the walkway so the cube falls on the button lifting me up-ring any bells??? LOL....I need tutors, LOL....I'll work on this for awhile today....

nathanm

« Reply #16 on: 1 Jun 2011, 02:20 pm »
If I get really stuck I usually search YouTube and there's inevitably a video walkthrough for the level\room you're on.  Once you see the solution you'll kick yourself for not getting it.  Heh!