model questions from a shopper

batch68

model questions from a shopper
« on: 1 Sep 2013, 03:16 pm »
All,
   I'm in the early stages of new speaker shopping and the Daedalus line looks very interesting.  However, I'm having trouble getting a handle on all the different models.  Can someone make a suggestion as to which model would be best for a situation in which the speakers/listening chair can't be farther apart than an 8' golden triangle?  This would be in a medium-sized room (and only a couple feet from speakers to side and back walls).  Thanks.

B

vinyl_lady

Re: model questions from a shopper
« Reply #1 on: 1 Sep 2013, 06:53 pm »
I think the Athenas or the Pans would be perfect for the room you have described. These are terrific speakers.

jonbee

« Reply #2 on: 1 Sep 2013, 07:11 pm »
I agree about the Athenas. They are perfectly sized for medium rooms. My RMas (predecessor to the Athenas) load my 17x21 room very well- not too much or too little energy in the power region. The larger multiple woofer systems  can be too much in smaller rooms, although there are those who like the Ulysses fine in medium rooms.

Beatlebum

« Reply #3 on: 1 Sep 2013, 08:27 pm »
Not trying to hijack this thread but I am considering my next speaker purchase as well and Jonbee, I have read a lot of your past threads.

Curious as to your thoughts/observations regarding the Daedalus speakers versus the Selah Audio Tempestas. The RAAL tweeter performance is something I'm very interested in. The Daedalus Pans and Athenas are very attractive offerings along with the Salk Soundscape 8's.

batch68

« Reply #4 on: 2 Sep 2013, 12:34 am »
Thanks gents -- I'll take a look at the Athenas.

Beatle: hijack away my friend, the info will help both of us (I'm looking at Selah as well).

vortrex

« Reply #5 on: 2 Sep 2013, 12:39 am »
I've got the Tempesta's and the Pan's now, but I went on vacation for a month almost right after getting the Pan.  They have very little hours on them.  I'll be back home tomorrow to start the break in process again.

Beatlebum

« Reply #6 on: 2 Sep 2013, 01:05 am »
Batch: Much obliged my friend :D

My dedicated room is carpeted and drywall (finished basement) and as you can see in my system I'm running a Pass Labs XA30.5..how about your system/amplification?

Vortrex I have followed your and Jonbee discussions about your Selah's, so any observations comments would be appreciated. What are your first impressions regarding build quality, fit and finish? Is the Tempesta cabinet as dense as the Daedalus Pan's?

Thanks in advance,

Tim

vortrex

« Reply #7 on: 2 Sep 2013, 01:16 am »
The Tempesta cabinets are not as dense as the Pan's.  That's not to say the Tempesta cabinets are bad though.  I actually think they are quite nice for the price.  I would compare the heft of the Pan cabinet closer to that of the Vapor Cirrus I had.  I can't comment on the fit and finish of the Tempesta since I have the stock black cabinets with no trim/veneer work.

Beatlebum

« Reply #8 on: 2 Sep 2013, 01:47 am »
I am very curious as to the performance of the Selah's RAAL tweeter versus the Pan's and what you are hearing.

I have built a pair of Rick's RC3R's in the past and they sounded very good if not a bit too polite for my tastes with the understanding that I like a very lively treble with air and decay while still possessing finesse.

pawsman

« Reply #9 on: 2 Sep 2013, 02:09 pm »
Vortrex & Jonbee:
I've got the Selah Veritas now, and I'd eventually like to trade up to
the Tempesta, Vapor Cirrhus, or Daedalus Pan. Any comparing/contrasting of these 3 would be greatly
appreciated. I listen to primarily Classical orchestral and solo piano-

pawsman

Scottdazzle

« Reply #10 on: 2 Sep 2013, 03:00 pm »
The Pans are tailor- made for the room you describe.  The placement of the port in the front of the cabinet eliminates some room interactions you could have with the speakers placed close to the back wall. The shape of the Pan cabinet also helps because the front baffle is angled toward the listening area. I found this to make positioning the speakers quick and easy.  The Pans are also a point source design which works particularly well in smaller rooms.

The Athenas need to be placed away from the walls for the best soundstage and even bass response. Also, being a line source design, they need more care in placement for optimum imaging. If you have the room, the Athenas will outperform the Pans in every respect, but you still get the trademark Daedalus sound with the Pans.

Beatlebum

« Reply #11 on: 2 Sep 2013, 03:08 pm »
Scott,

What would you say is optimum positioning for the Pans and the Athenas?

I have the flexibility in my room to have the speakers out some 56" (from the back edge of the speaker) from the wall behind and 2' from the sidewalls, and about 8' apart center to center.

Wig

« Reply #12 on: 2 Sep 2013, 03:57 pm »
For a speaker that size 7-7.5' should be perfect with a distance of 2.5-3' from the side walls should sound spacious with good depth and imaging...

Wig :D

Scott,

I have the flexibility in my room to have the speakers out some 56" (from the back edge of the speaker) from the wall behind and 2' from the sidewalls, and about 8' apart center to center.

jonbee

« Reply #13 on: 2 Sep 2013, 06:12 pm »
I own original RMas now, soon to be upgraded. I had Tempestas previously. I have found 23" to 28" behind both speakers to be good. I used 7' between the Tempestas, about 8' with the RMa. Sitting 8' from either speaker is good.
I have around 5' to the sides, which I find to be helpful. I don't know how 2 feet would work, as I believe early sidewall reflections are a bad thing for most speakers.
Both models are excellent. My room eats bass; the 7" woofer in the Tempesta didn't fill out the midbass to the degree I prefer; the 8" RMA woofer in a 2x size cabinet perfectly loads the midbass in my room.
Other comparisons- the Tempesta has superior extension and air, and a wider sweet spot. The overall level of detail is very similar, but the balance is a bit different- the RMA is a bit warmer, more "analog", while the Tempesta is more "monitor" like.
The RMa has a larger, more open soundstage; very dramatic. Everyone who has heard them comments on that immediately. The Tempesta is quite good in that regard, but to me the soundstage, midbass energy and handmade solid wood cabinets gives the nod to the RMa. Of course the price is much higher; with upgrades the Daedalus Athenas (or the original price of RMa plus upgrades) are well over $10k; the Tempesta is less than half, or a third in base cabinets. Rick can also build larger versions, with multiple woofers if desired.
I really wanted to keep both, but it seemed silly to use the Tempestas in my bedroom, where I rarely listen. If they fit in my office I would have kept them there for sure.
I love both. Taste, room, equipment matchups and budget are factors.
For me, even at twice the Tempesta's price, given my priorities, system, and budget, I'm satisfied with the choice of upgraded RMas. YMMV!
« Last Edit: 3 Sep 2013, 12:58 am by jonbee »

Scottdazzle

« Reply #14 on: 2 Sep 2013, 07:39 pm »
Scott,

What are the room dimensions?

audiogoober

« Reply #15 on: 2 Sep 2013, 08:09 pm »
What are the room dimensions?

An excellent question...

Beatlebum

« Reply #16 on: 2 Sep 2013, 09:09 pm »

Well my listening area is in a section of my finished basement so room dimensions are not so absolute.

Basically my system is set up in an area that is about 14' wide X 25' long. My speakers are set along the 14'width of the room. As your looking at the system, there's a wall to the right of the right speaker (about 2' away) running the 25' length of the room. Just to the left of the left speaker the room opens up into another finished section of the basement.

Scottdazzle

« Reply #17 on: 2 Sep 2013, 09:20 pm »

Well my listening area is in a section of my finished basement so room dimensions are not so absolute.

Basically my system is set up in an area that is about 14' wide X 25' long. My speakers are set along the 14'width of the room. As your looking at the system, there's a wall to the right of the right speaker (about 2' away) running the 25' length of the room. Just to the left of the left speaker the room opens up into another finished section of the basement.

You have more room than I thought from your initial post.  You also have them positioned farther away from the back wall.  It looks to me that both the Pans and Athenas will work just fine in that room.  You can't go wrong either way.  Enjoy!

jriggy

« Reply #18 on: 2 Sep 2013, 10:04 pm »
Athena's all the way! You could actually go with any of Lou's offerings in that room. Well, except for maybe Orpheus. I actually have Ulysses in a room that is only 6in wider but opens in most of the back. I would say your room is the absolute minimum for the U's.

Pan sounds like it is a great near field speaker but why settle in a space like that. Go for the Athenas, put up some acoustic panels on stands at first (and maybe second) reflection, to the left of the left speaker, mirror on right wall of course and you will be in good shape.

Beatlebum

« Reply #19 on: 3 Sep 2013, 03:21 pm »
jriggy,

Thanks for the helpful suggestions.