Sony HAP-Z1ES High Res DSD Audio Music Player - in the house

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: Sony HAP-Z1ES High Res DSD Audio Music Player - in the house
« Reply #140 on: 28 Mar 2014, 01:45 am »
I remembered some where said that the magic number is 40,000 tracks. That is the Hap will support up to this number, irregardless of size, till now.

Hi Peter,

Are you referring to the internal drive, or total (with external USB drive)?  Yes, harri009 proved that adding 3TB external works fine.  It could be that Sony added a firmware update for this... not sure.  Does anyone know where Sony lists the updates and what they fix?

The setup procedure for the Z1ES is not the suggested steps they "are" the steps the player wants to see. Someone may want to counter this with "I can & have setup all kinds of equipment, why is this any different"  That would be because other players with the same unique specific functionality don't exist.

Hi Steve,

I agree.  If you follow the processes outlined by Sony, everything seems to be quite smooth.  I have found the Z1ES to be VERY user friendly so far.  I do believe Sony should have included a paper copy of the manual, but once you realize that it is on the included USB stick (or if you go to the Sony link that I added to the first post of this thread), it is all very simple.  So is the remote App.  Not rich in features compared to others, but all the essential stuff is there for me and the player and the App is very responsive and I like how its uncluttered approach!

UPDATE REGARDING SSD

Good news - I received my 1TB SSD today and just finished installing it... and it works!  :green:
You install it, boot up and have it restore everything back to the factory settings, and in a couple of minutes later it reboots and the
SSD has all the sample music and acts just like the day you got it.  So you need to reload your files, which I am doing now.  I have my Macbook
directly connected to the Sony via an Ethernet Crossover cable and with the SSD, the files do appear to be transferring a lot faster than with the stock HDD. 

And like Ivo's screen name, it is NOISELESS!  Not that the stock unit is loud, but now it is super silent.  I'm not sure if I'll be able to hear a sonic improvement, but I do notice that the file transfer is going faster (and I transferred the files the same way with the stock SSD).

I'll definitely be offering a SSD upgrade service for those who don't feel comfortable removing the stock drive from its bracket assemble and changing it themselves.  The 1TB SSD upgrade will be $695.  I can look into larger SSD's.  Does anyone know of a 2TB (or larger) 2.5" SSD?  And I mean a true SSD (not Hybrid SSD - there are plenty of Hybrids out there  :roll:).

Ok - that's it for now.  I need to rest up because I seemed to have come down with a flu-like bug and the computer screen is starting put me in daze.  :sleep:

Vinnie

noiseless

« Reply #141 on: 28 Mar 2014, 06:02 am »

And like Ivo's screen name, it is NOISELESS! 
:bowdown:  :green:

I need to rest up because I seemed to have come down with a flu-like bug and the computer screen is starting put me in daze.  :sleep:

Vinnie
Wish you a fast recovery, Vinnie!

Ivo

christopher3393

« Reply #142 on: 29 Mar 2014, 12:31 pm »
Hi Peter,

UPDATE REGARDING SSD[/u

I'll definitely be offering a SSD upgrade service for those who don't feel comfortable removing the stock drive from its bracket assemble and changing it themselves.  The 1TB SSD upgrade will be $695.  I can look into larger SSD's.  Does anyone know of a 2TB (or larger) 2.5" SSD?  And I mean a true SSD (not Hybrid SSD - there are plenty of Hybrids out there  :roll:).

Vinnie

Hi Vinnie. I think 1TB is the limit for now in 2.5 . Samsung has launched a 1.6TB enterprise drive, might be OEM only for now. Not readily available. But we may see 2TB ssds in 2.5 before the end of the year.

steve in jersey

« Reply #143 on: 29 Mar 2014, 02:19 pm »
Hi Vinnie. I think 1TB is the limit for now in 2.5 . Samsung has launched a 1.6TB enterprise drive, might be OEM only for now. Not readily available. But we may see 2TB ssds in 2.5 before the end of the year.

I'm betting that when they finally do release the 2TB/2.5" SSD it will be priced at 2 & a half times the price that we're seeing for the 1TB/2.5" SSDs now (If it follows the normal trend ;although it may not as I don't see
the 1TB & above 2.5" SSDs being large sellers in the Laptop/PC sector.)

firedog

« Reply #144 on: 30 Mar 2014, 07:15 am »
Vinnie-

Can the z1 be setup to run on 220v/50cycles? Or would we need to wait for the level 3 mod to allow that (assuming we buy a unit for modding in the US)?

Turnandcough

« Reply #145 on: 30 Mar 2014, 12:12 pm »
I've been pondering the HAP-Z1ES to replace my SB Touch/EE DAC for a while now. The tube output makes it even more interesting.

What's kept me from replacing the Touch in the past has been the ease of use of its software interface. I've become accustomed to it and really enjoy the Random Songs by Genre option.

Does the Sony have a similar feature?

smargo

« Reply #146 on: 30 Mar 2014, 03:20 pm »
I've become accustomed to it and really enjoy the Random Songs by Genre option.

http://docs.esupport.sony.com/homeav/Hi-Res_Audio/HAPZ1ES_guide/en/contents/TP0000221981.html

finsup

« Reply #147 on: 30 Mar 2014, 07:21 pm »
I've been pondering the HAP-Z1ES to replace my SB Touch/EE DAC for a while now. The tube output makes it even more interesting.

What's kept me from replacing the Touch in the past has been the ease of use of its software interface. I've become accustomed to it and really enjoy the Random Songs by Genre option.

No - just Shuffle.  It has something called "SenseMe", which according to Steven Stone's review in the absolute sound, "...analyzes and automatically categorizes music tracks according to their mood and tempo using the 12-tone analysis technology developed by Sony. SenseMe has twelve categories of music—morning, daytime, evening, midnight, energetic, relax, upbeat, mellow, lounge, emotional, dance, and extreme".
SONY HAP-Z1ES HDD AUDIO PLAYER
Game Changer
Equipment report
by Steven Stone  | Feb 14th, 2014

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #148 on: 31 Mar 2014, 01:03 am »
All,

Since mid last week I've been sick, sick, sick.  :cry:  It started out as a lot of the flu-like symptoms, and then worked its way into a respiratory infection / sinus infection.  I've been laid out in bed for a few days and still fighting this off.  Tomorrow I hope to get to a doctor and get some meds to kill this off.  I should be back to work again on Tuesday, but in the meantime I'll try to catch up with emails and the forum when I can.

Hi Christopher,

Thanks for the info.  At least we know that the drive can be swapped, upgraded, replaced when the time comes, etc.  The 1TB SSD drive has been nice in there, but I haven't done much listening since I installed it.  :wink:

Hi Steve in NJ,

Let's hope they are not too expensive when the come out!  In time, I'm sure they'll get much cheaper...

I'm sure we can also substitute a 3.5" or 1.8" drive in there if 2.5" has limited SSD options.  It's a SATA interface and not some proprietary interface thank goodness.

Can the z1 be setup to run on 220v/50cycles? Or would we need to wait for the level 3 mod to allow that (assuming we buy a unit for modding in the US)?

Hi Firedog,

There is no way to internally configure the Z1ES to run on 220V.  The transformers cannot be rewired either.  They do make a 220V version, but if this is something that you'd want to buy in the USA to have modded, then you are better off going with the 120Vac version and using an external step-down transformer (rated for 60W or more).  I'd go 100W.

Here is an example: http://www.amazon.com/Philmore-Heavy-Stepup-Stepdown-Transformer/dp/B000PCCABU
$20 + shipping, and I'm sure you can find them all over.  Do a search for "ST-100" step down transformer.  They also make an ST-200 (200W version) and beyond.

The RWA-Z1ES-3 will not be a full battery conversion.  There will still be a few sections of the unit that will be powered from the mains.

Speaking of the RWA-Z1ES-3:

:idea: While lying in bed staring at the ceiling this afternoon, it dawned on me that the LiFePO4 battery power for the RWA-Z1ES-3 can be installed INSIDE the Z1ES!  The transformer used for the analog power supply section will no longer be needed and can be removed, making room for the battery pack.  The stock analog supply board could also be removed, as it will be replaced with discrete super regulator boards that I plan to hard wire to the Audio board to make the power feeds as short and clean as possible.  In the stock configuration, the wiring is "ok" but can be cleaner, as the internal pics reveal.

I'm also thinking that the charger for the battery does not need to be very large, and it could reside inside the unit as well.  I'll be aiming for >10 hours of play time in pure battery mode, but I am going to also include a switch on the rear panel to allow the user to select between pure battery mode and "AC" mode where the battery is charging and providing power at the same time (higher charge current to the battery than the load current that the battery is supplying, of course).  So if your Z1ES will be on for a long time as you transfer GB's of music onto it, or if you like to leave your equipment on 24/7 because you swear it sounds better, you can do that.  :)  When you are doing critical listening, you can easily switch to pure battery mode and should be able to get > 10 hours of listening.  And when you power down the unit, it will automatically charge the battery. 

This way, the user doesn't have to think much about the battery at all.  You just power it ON/OFF like you normally do and enjoy it.  No external box, no separate power cable, no umbilical, no added connectors... NO ADDED COMPLEXITY.   

So, there is still much work to be done than simply daydreaming in bed, but it's a start.

As always, thanks for all your interest!

Vinnie

peterlim8

« Reply #149 on: 31 Mar 2014, 02:15 am »
Hi Peter,

Are you referring to the internal drive, or total (with external USB drive)?  Yes, harri009 proved that adding 3TB external works fine.  It could be that Sony added a firmware update for this... not sure.  Does anyone know where Sony lists the updates and what they fix?

I got the info from a Japanese web site before I'd my HAP therefore have difficulty to retrieve what I've read.

If you able to turn ON/OFF the DSD engine, you'd have the latest firmware update.

Btw, you've squeezed everything into one box for the MOD 3, GGOD, however, would there be anything interference within?

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #150 on: 31 Mar 2014, 02:23 am »
I got the info from a Japanese web site before I'd my HAP therefore have difficulty to retrieve what I've read.

If you able to turn ON/OFF the DSD engine, you'd have the latest firmware update.

Btw, you've squeezed everything into one box for the MOD 3, GGOD, however, would there be anything interference within?

Hi Peter,

Ok - I can turn on/off DSD... and when I check for update, it says it is up to date. 

As far as RWA-Z1ES-3, I *think* I can get it to be all inside the Z1ES enclosure.  :wink:

I do not see an interference problems.  The only type would be 60 cycle hum (or 50 cycle, if used on a 50Hz grid).  I'm not getting hum with the RWA-Z1ES-1 / 2 mods now (which have an added, dedicated linear supply for the tube stages), so I can't see how there will be a problem when we convert to battery and super regulators on top of that.  But this is something that I will carefully test for...

Vinnie

Vlad

« Reply #151 on: 31 Mar 2014, 10:24 pm »
Hi Vinnie,

Just to clarify: is the tube buffer tapped directly to the 1795 output, i.e. implements both I/V and buffering function?
I re-read the thread, but it is still not 100% clear to me.
You mentioned before that you would consider the transformer option - any thoughts about it?
Also, do you know if the absolute phase can be changed on-the-fly?

Thanks,
Vlad

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #152 on: 31 Mar 2014, 11:53 pm »
Just to clarify: is the tube buffer tapped directly to the 1795 output, i.e. implements both I/V and buffering function?
I re-read the thread, but it is still not 100% clear to me.
You mentioned before that you would consider the transformer option - any thoughts about it?
Also, do you know if the absolute phase can be changed on-the-fly?

Hi Vlad,

I/V is being done via the OPA2132UA, and that is what feeds the tube output stages (1 per channel). 
So for each channel, it goes:  PCM1795 (d/a) >> OPA2132UA (I/V) >> Tube output (Convert to SE, Buffer).

I'm really loving what the OPA2132 feeding the tube stage is doing, and it smokes the pants off the passive I/V I tried (resistor, without transformer).  Passive resistor I/V mod had weaker transients, less punch, and less "drive" - so I scrapped that effort early on.

I'm enjoying it so much that I haven't even looked into changing out this configuration.  I am NOT against trying a transformer option or something else, but the results would need to be better sounding than what I have now for me to want to offer it (besides doing a one-off version for someone who was curious to try). 

The PCM1795 d/a chips DO support a software control of the absolute phase (via the bit register), but not via a a hardware interface like a switch.  So this is something that Sony would have to offer with a firmware update if we can all petition!  I think it would be nice to have!  :thumb:

Vinnie

kngale1

« Reply #153 on: 1 Apr 2014, 02:13 pm »
Vinnie,

What's the battery packs life expectancy in terms of years or hours?   ~ How much $ to replace?   If internal, probably have to ship back to you to replace?   

Thanks!

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #154 on: 1 Apr 2014, 05:04 pm »
What's the battery packs life expectancy in terms of years or hours?   ~ How much $ to replace?   If internal, probably have to ship back to you to replace?   

Hi kngale1,

Our custom-made LiFePO4 packs (just like we use in our RWA products) are rated for over 2,000 charge/discharge cycles.  So you should be good for around 5 years, and even then, should should still be at around 70% of new battery life.

Just like in our products, the battery pack will be user-replaceable.  No soldering required, either.  The pack is $250, and includes the metal mounting bracket that securely holds it in all directions and has the holes for the chassis mounting screws.  It's easy!

As far as how many hours of play time when fully charged, I'll report on that when the modification is completed and tested.

Vinnie

noiseless

« Reply #155 on: 1 Apr 2014, 05:39 pm »
I/V is being done via the OPA2132UA, and that is what feeds the tube output stages (1 per channel). 
So for each channel, it goes:  PCM1795 (d/a) >> OPA2132UA (I/V) >> Tube output (Convert to SE, Buffer).

Hi Vinnie, I hope you are feeling better now!
Well, we have an OpAmp in the I/V stage and how about the BAL-SE and the Buffer, please?
I know discrete BAL-SE convertion is not easy too unless you use output transformer in the tube stage?
Thank you!
Ivo

P.S. BTW, ModWright's price @ $3000 for the output mod only is insane, IMHO!

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #156 on: 1 Apr 2014, 06:01 pm »
Hi Vinnie, I hope you are feeling better now!
Well, we have an OpAmp in the I/V stage and how about the BAL-SE and the Buffer, please?
I know discrete BAL-SE convertion is not easy too unless you use output transformer in the tube stage?
Thank you!
Ivo

P.S. BTW, ModWright's price @ $3000 for the output mod only is insane, IMHO!

OPA2132 only in the I/V.  The rest is tube.  NO transformers, no chokes, no DC-DC converters.  It's simple, it's clean, and it sounds
REALLLLLYYYY good!  :P

I saw Dan/Modwright's post.  The approach he is taking is a little different and I think it is a good thing because you guys have more choices.  Dan's a good guy, does great work and has a solid reputation here on audiocircle and beyond.  There will be no "West Coast vs. East Coast rivalry going on between us.  We'll save that for the hip-hop scene instead!  :green:

Vinnie

noiseless

« Reply #157 on: 1 Apr 2014, 06:13 pm »
Thanks for the clarification, Vinnie!

I didn't want to compare your mods to Dan's and of course it's better for us to have more options. I just think it's not right to charge for a device's output stage 150% more than the whole device itself!?!
But this is not a part of our conversation here - sorry!

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #158 on: 1 Apr 2014, 06:52 pm »
I didn't want to compare your mods to Dan's and of course it's better for us to have more options. I just think it's not right to charge for a device's output stage 150% more than the whole device itself!?!
But this is not a part of our conversation here - sorry!

Well, I can't agree with you on this.  It really depends on what the mods cost in terms of parts, development time, risk in terms of working on the player, overhead, providing warranty service for the work, how the modded player compares to others in the same price range as the modded player (stock unit + mods), and a handful of other factors.   

But I'm fine with agreeing to disagree, and we'll get back on track.   :wink:

While I am at it, I kindly request from everyone who posts in this thread to not discuss the modifications of other companies, pricing, etc.  I  appreciate your understanding with this. 

I also want to point out a new thread started by Steve in NJ for troubleshooting with the Sony (non modification related issues):
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=124907.0 

Vinnie

noiseless

« Reply #159 on: 1 Apr 2014, 07:31 pm »

While I am at it, I kindly request from everyone who posts in this thread to not discuss the modifications of other companies, pricing, etc.  I  appreciate your understanding with this. 

Please, accept again my apologies for this!