Sony HAP-Z1ES High Res DSD Audio Music Player - in the house

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: Sony HAP-Z1ES High Res DSD Audio Music Player - in the house
« Reply #220 on: 23 May 2014, 08:58 pm »
"For examples of options, I installed a 1TB SSD for a customer with RWA-Z1ES-2 modification (shipped last week) and I have a few who want remote volume control and/or input select switch." 

Hi Vinnie, what SSD are you using?

Received my HAP-Z1ES one week today.  No issues. Loaded my music from a iMac/WD external via wired ethernet.  Everything sounds very coherent and smooth while much more detailed and dynamic. On the cd ripped files, the recording qualities of the various albums really stand out.  Very pleased so far.

Hi Tubegem,

Welcome to the RWA forum!

For the SSD, I'm pretty sure this is the one:

Samsung 840 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal Solid State Drive - MZ-7TE1T0BW

Works great!

Everything sounds very coherent and smooth while much more detailed and dynamic.

Are you referring to the stock unit?  What are you comparing it to?

Enjoy it!

Vinnie

Tubegem

« Reply #221 on: 26 May 2014, 04:44 pm »
Hi Tubegem,

Welcome to the RWA forum!

For the SSD, I'm pretty sure this is the one:

Samsung 840 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal Solid State Drive - MZ-7TE1T0BW

Works great!

Are you referring to the stock unit?  What are you comparing it to?

Enjoy it!

Vinnie
[/quote

Thanks Vinnie.  I have a stock unit +DH Labs Revelation IC + Blue Circle power cord (BC62) .
Previously, Mac-mini>Amarra HF (also tried Pure Music and Audivarna+) >BIS USB >Music Fidelity 192 link > BC507 DAC.  I find the 44.1/16 rips sound better coming from the Z1 (DSD=on, DSEE=off).  Just more of everything, such as string tone as well as electric bass grunt, better defined thwack on drums, brassier trumpets etc.  I'm not dissecting the music, I'm just much more aware of everything and therefore regular cds are much more enjoyable. Hi rez PCM is comparable with the BC507.  I don't own any DSD music as yet, but am  waiting for my 85 or so SACD to be ripped.   

The thing I find really interesting is how much more dynamic some of the cds are.  The better recorded ones, really shine.  I had to double check a couple of times to make sure they were 44.1 vs hi rez.  What this unit does to cd and internet radio, I think justifies its price.  That it can also do hi rez CPM and DSD is a bonus to me.

I'm very please after one week. That your upgrades will bring the Z1 to another level is hard to imagine.  After multiple issues with the mini and it's chain, this is a wonderful and stress free way to listen to one's music. For the non-computer person like me, it's the right solution.

I really appreciate your detailed explanations of what you are hearing and how the voyage is progressing, and eagerly await Ted B's review.  Thank you.

bmoura

« Reply #222 on: 29 May 2014, 04:59 pm »
Looks like the drought is ending.  The HAP-Z1ES is now back In Stock at both Acoustic Sounds and Music Direct.  Along with 3 from a partner store at Amazon.
http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/94813/Sony-HAP-Z1ES_1TB_Hi-Res_HDD_Player-Hi_Res_Audio_Player
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-161287-sony-hap-z1es-music-player.aspx

earflappin

« Reply #223 on: 29 May 2014, 06:13 pm »
I would love to know how this DAC - stock and modded - compares to the PSA DirectStream and Auralic Vega.  Has anybody done such a comparison?

gbeard

• Contributing writer--Positive Feedback
« Reply #224 on: 30 May 2014, 03:33 am »
Hello Vinnie (it's been waaaay too long) and HAP(py) AC'ers!

I just received a HAP this week. It was slightly used, so it may be close to broken in now. I cannot say how it compares to the two DACs in question, but it certainly compares favorably stock with the other DACs in the under $2.5k range that I have had in house. That is NOT to say it is "better", but again, I am really enjoying it!  :thumb: Simple, great sound, and apparently, a fantastic modding platform!

I look forward to getting my head wrapped around this bad boy and following this and other similar threads.

Cheers,
Gary

Afterimage

« Reply #225 on: 31 May 2014, 06:47 pm »
I have the Level 3 back from Vinnie.  I will comment on my impressions later, but first I need help troubleshooting something.   For the life of me I can't get the Sony connected to my wireless network, which means I can't use the app for this device to pick out artist/songs/albums from listening chair.   This is very frustrating, when I spend a lot of money I want something to be user friendly and to work.   Heck, I one of the reasons I went this route was to avoid all the trouble shooting and hassle that computer audio have.  Any, here is what I am trying on the front screen. 

Wireless Set
Select Access Point
enter my password
hit enter to connect to network. 
results-wireless connection Failed.  Internet Access Failed. 

The other option was to try the WPS access point. 
my router does not have a WPS button, it should just connect with the device automatically but when I hit enter to search for the wireless network, the result is the same, cannot find access point. 

All the other devices in house work fine.  Anyone have any clues as what I should do next?

gbeard

• Contributing writer--Positive Feedback
« Reply #226 on: 31 May 2014, 10:35 pm »
Perhaps try setting up a new access point and then connect to your existing?

If this doesn't work, just send the unit to me and I will try to fix it.  :wink:

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #227 on: 31 May 2014, 11:46 pm »

I'm very please after one week. That your upgrades will bring the Z1 to another level is hard to imagine.  After multiple issues with the mini and it's chain, this is a wonderful and stress free way to listen to one's music. For the non-computer person like me, it's the right solution.

Hi Tubegem,

Glad you are enjoying it - and YES - it can be brought up A FEW levels in performance!  :wink:

Hi bmoura,

I nabbed the last one from Music Direct for a customer in Europe who ordered a Z1ES-3.  I'm still patiently waiting for another player that I ordered from B&H.  This was going to be the review sample.  :(

Hi EarFlappin,

I'd love to know this as well!  :green:

Hi gbeard,

It has been a long time - good to see you here on the RWA forum, and glad you joined our HAP(py) club!   8)

Hi AfterImage,

Did you make sure you set the upper/lowercase correctly?  Are there any special characters in your password.  I shouldn't have mess with your settings - but I connected to my wifi so I was able to use my iPad to control it when doing listening tests.  I'm not sure what is going on.
You can get an ethernet cable and connect directly to your router, and when you chose the set up the wired connection, hopefully it will see
your network. 

Here is a link to the online manual section about WIFI setup:
http://helpguide.sony.net/ha/hapz1es/v1/en/cover/level1_06.html

And here is the one for wired (LAN) setup:
http://helpguide.sony.net/ha/hapz1es/v1/en/cover/level1_05.html

I hope this helps!

Vinnie

Afterimage

« Reply #228 on: 1 Jun 2014, 02:01 am »
Hi Tubegem,

Glad you are enjoying it - and YES - it can be brought up A FEW levels in performance!  :wink:

Hi bmoura,

I nabbed the last one from Music Direct for a customer in Europe who ordered a Z1ES-3.  I'm still patiently waiting for another player that I ordered from B&H.  This was going to be the review sample.  :(

Hi EarFlappin,

I'd love to know this as well!  :green:

Hi gbeard,

It has been a long time - good to see you here on the RWA forum, and glad you joined our HAP(py) club!   8)

Hi AfterImage,

Did you make sure you set the upper/lowercase correctly?  Are there any special characters in your password.  I shouldn't have mess with your settings - but I connected to my wifi so I was able to use my iPad to control it when doing listening tests.  I'm not sure what is going on.
You can get an ethernet cable and connect directly to your router, and when you chose the set up the wired connection, hopefully it will see
your network. 

Here is a link to the online manual section about WIFI setup:
http://helpguide.sony.net/ha/hapz1es/v1/en/cover/level1_06.html

And here is the one for wired (LAN) setup:
http://helpguide.sony.net/ha/hapz1es/v1/en/cover/level1_05.html

I hope this helps!

Vinnie

thanks Vinnie.  I checked my password characters and they are right.  I have been to those help sites for the Sony already but no luck.  I will try again tomorrow.  I am just selecting stuff manually for now.  As for the sound, it is fantastic!!!  Warm, spacious, organic.  And the bass is the best I have heard from a source.

bmoura

« Reply #229 on: 1 Jun 2014, 12:28 pm »
I'm down in Newport Beach this weekend for The Show and the HAP-Z1ES fame continues to spread.  It's available for listening at the Acoustic Sounds music stand and is being used by Sony with their very high end speaker demo.  New people are discovering the unit and there will be new buyers after these demos.  (I met a musician at The Show yesterday that heard the HAP and called it and DSD in general eye-openers in terms of music quality).

Talked with the Sony Electronics U.S. folks.  They say the HAP has far exceeded their sales projections and they are selling every unit that comes to the U.S.!  Quite a ringing endorsement of High Resolution Audio. 

Sony Electronics U.S. is continuing to ask for more HAP-Z1's to sell.  So there will continue to be a supply, even though it's a hot seller.

OzarkTom

« Reply #230 on: 1 Jun 2014, 12:45 pm »
thanks Vinnie.  I checked my password characters and they are right.  I have been to those help sites for the Sony already but no luck.  I will try again tomorrow.  I am just selecting stuff manually for now.  As for the sound, it is fantastic!!!  Warm, spacious, organic.  And the bass is the best I have heard from a source.

A friend of mine spent weeks with the same problem, tried everything he could. His son came home from flight school and in 20 minutes had it working. Neither one knew exactly what was wrong. :scratch:

I had the same problem for a couple of days, so I turned everything off, unplugged everything, rehooked, and then it worked.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #231 on: 1 Jun 2014, 04:43 pm »
A friend of mine spent weeks with the same problem, tried everything he could. His son came home from flight school and in 20 minutes had it working. Neither one knew exactly what was wrong. :scratch:

I had the same problem for a couple of days, so I turned everything off, unplugged everything, rehooked, and then it worked.

Hi OzarkTom,

Very strange - I never ran into this problem yet on my unit or any of the ones I modded already.  Maybe it has to do with how it talks to a particular make/model of router?  :dunno:

Hi Afterimage,

You might also want to reset your wifi router and see if that also helps.  But
good to know you aren't the only one...

As for the sound, it is fantastic!!!  Warm, spacious, organic.  And the bass is the best I have heard from a source.

Glad you are enjoying it - even with low hours on the mods!  Please keep us posted, and we'd all love to hear how it compares to what you
have been using before it.  Spill the beans!  :green:   :wink:

Hi bmoura,

Sorry I couldn't make Newport Beach this year.  Next up for me is Capital Audio Fest, then NY Audio Show, and then RMAF...

I'm sure people at the show are finding out that it is a great product for the money.  I'm sure they are selling way more than they thought they
would.  The reviews in the big magazines have been hot, the forum chatter has been hot, and the mod potential on them to get a player with such capabilities that can go head-to-head with pricer competition makes for a "product of the year" candidate in my book!  8) 

I hope some of my other customers who should have received their modded units last week are enjoying them and will post their impressions.  If you are not signed up to post, please do so and share your RWA-Z1ES experiences, and thank you.  :notworthy: 

Happy listening, everyone!

Vinnie

mg8

• Roll Away the Dew
« Reply #232 on: 1 Jun 2014, 05:09 pm »
I have had the Sony HAP-Z1ES for a couple of days.  It replaced a very high performance Mac Mini with external PSU.  I wanted a change and I am happy with the Sony.  The RWA mods look like a "when" as opposed to an "if" at this point and I am considering which of the RWA mods to have done (decision between 1&2 for budget control).

I see that many folks are doing/discussing to a SSD.  I decided on another route.  A 2TB internal drive swap.  The Player uses a Toshiba MQ01ABD100 drive that has SATA2 with 8MB cache.  I have an OWC Elite Pro Mini 2.5" 2TB external drive that has been very reliable so I opened it to see if what the raw drive was.  It is a Toshiba MQ01ABB200.  Aside from the physical size (slightly thicker) it is the same design as the OEM Sony drive.  I purchased a similar drive from Western Digital 2TB WD Green SATA III Intellipower 8 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Hard Drive WD20NPVX as it specs out better than the Toshiba (SATA3 vs SATA2).  The 15mm height (drive thickness) will fit in the Sony without modification based on visual inspection.

That was the FYI section :scratch:

The Curiosity section:  I like SSDs and had one for my OS X Mac Mini music server but used an external spinning drive for the file storage.  Are users swapping the Sony/Toshiba for an SSD for sound quality?  I know latency is a big issue for digital media but with the DSD upsample and DSEE processing latency shouldn't be a sensitivity due to the buffering.  I wanted to get away from external drives, external PSU's and the like.  So the larger on-board storage made sense for me.  I am always interested in others' rationales.  Any comments would be great.  Sincerely, Mike
« Last Edit: 1 Jun 2014, 07:20 pm by mg8 »

mg8

• Roll Away the Dew
« Reply #233 on: 1 Jun 2014, 07:21 pm »
I have had the Sony HAP-Z1ES for a couple of days.  It replaced a very high performance Mac Mini with external PSU.  I wanted a change and I am happy with the Sony.  The RWA mods look like a "when" as opposed to an "if" at this point and I am considering which of the RWA mods to have done (decision between 1&2 for budget control).

I see that many folks are doing/discussing to a SSD.  I decided on another route.  A 2TB internal drive swap.  The Player uses a Toshiba MQ01ABD100 drive that has SATA2 with 8MB cache.  I have an OWC Elite Pro Mini 2.5" 2TB external drive that has been very reliable so I opened it to see what the raw drive was.  It is a Toshiba MQ01ABB200.  Aside from the physical size (slightly thicker) it is the same design as the OEM Sony drive.  I purchased a similar drive from Western Digital 2TB WD Green SATA III Intellipower 8 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Hard Drive WD20NPVX as it specs out better than the Toshiba (SATA3 vs SATA2).  The 15mm height (drive thickness) will fit in the Sony without modification based on visual inspection.

That was the FYI section :scratch:

The Curiosity section:  I like SSDs and had one for my OS X Mac Mini music server but used an external spinning drive for the file storage.  Are users swapping the Sony/Toshiba for an SSD for sound quality?  I know latency is a big issue for digital media but with the DSD upsample and DSEE processing latency shouldn't be a sensitivity due to the buffering.  I wanted to get away from external drives, external PSU's and the like.  So the larger on-board storage made sense for me.  I am always interested in others' rationales.  Any comments would be great.  Sincerely, Mike

Whoops - trying to correct some grammar

bmoura

« Reply #234 on: 1 Jun 2014, 11:32 pm »
One more thing on the Sony HAP-Z1ES from The Show.  Talked with Sony Electronics and they say a firmware upgrade is coming that will fix the inverted phase issue.  Nice to hear they are responding to this one.

OzarkTom

« Reply #235 on: 1 Jun 2014, 11:40 pm »
One more thing on the Sony HAP-Z1ES from The Show.  Talked with Sony Electronics and they say a firmware upgrade is coming that will fix the inverted phase issue.  Nice to hear they are responding to this one.

I wonder if it is possible for a firmware upgrade to control the volume from your iPad?

Afterimage

« Reply #236 on: 1 Jun 2014, 11:56 pm »

strange, because that is exactly what happened for me.  I tried everything.  Today I went through exactly the same steps and it worked, it connected. 

peterlim8

« Reply #237 on: 2 Jun 2014, 02:43 am »

Interesting! Just wonder how does the coming new firmware upgrade affects those who already had their phase corrected?

steve in jersey

« Reply #238 on: 2 Jun 2014, 12:30 pm »
Interesting! Just wonder how does the coming new firmware upgrade affects those who already had their phase corrected?

Years ago when I was using a Toshiba HDDVD player , Toshiba would send their firmware upgrades to your email as a link (or physically as a CDr) & give you the option of installing the upgrade or not !

Does Sony send the firmware upgrades as notifications that the upgrade is "ready" to be installed or is it just automatically installed upon sending ? Toshiba would outline what issues or new feature sets were included
for the particular firmware you were receiving. I also believe there was a way to revert back to the former firmware version if the current upgrade changed somethings that were negative changes for your machine.

Toshiba's customer support was exceptional, it's a shame their format was not able to co-exist with Bluray
given their willingness for this level of continued support !

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #239 on: 2 Jun 2014, 03:20 pm »

Hopefully they are going put an option in the menu to toggle this ON/OFF.

strange, because that is exactly what happened for me.  I tried everything.  Today I went through exactly the same steps and it worked, it connected.

Glad it is working, Afterimage!

Does Sony send the firmware upgrades as notifications that the upgrade is "ready" to be installed or is it just automatically installed upon sending ?

A message comes up on the screen of the Z1ES and asks if you want to have it auto-installed.  And the same for the App.  Then you choose YES and it installs and reboots. 

Vinnie