WTB: Devore Gibbon 9 or Super 8

Plink

Re: WTB: Devore Gibbon 9 or Super 8
« Reply #80 on: 18 Jun 2007, 06:45 pm »
It'd be great if everyone would specify which amps they used with the Gibbons...whether they proved a good match or awful match.

Tanx.

Not sure if it helps.  I use 40W Primaluna Prologue Two with Devore Gibbon 8s and it is *easily* more than enough amp needed.  My previous Tyler Acoustics Taylo Ref Monitors were harder to drive (both worked well).  I like the Devores better.

System:

Dynavector P75, Dynavector XX-2, Lenco L75, Rega P5, Primaluna Prologue Two, Powervar units, Grover Huffman cables, Black Sand Violet powercords

LadyDog

« Reply #81 on: 18 Jun 2007, 09:04 pm »
Grant,
A little late to the party, but I powered my Gibbon 8's with a Manley Stingray with ease.

Hard to put an exact finger on Devore's signature sound, guess if I had to pick one word it would be musical.  Said in a "good" way.  Maybe not offering the best of this or that(insert audio verbiage), but they did most things very well.       

Regards

Plink

« Reply #82 on: 20 Jun 2007, 03:38 pm »
Thanks very much for listing your system. That is very helpful.

What specifically do you like better about the Gibbon 8 than the Taylo Ref monitors?

Things sound more coherent (hard to describe) and soundstaging is better.  They absolutely disappear.  They also provided lower bass (true to spec) and what I believe to be bass that is more accurate along the frequency range.  Imo, the Tylers had much more midbass which gave the illusion of them having more bass...a much warmer sound.  Perhaps some of this had to do with the room. 

Tonally speaking, I get the impression that many solid state amps would not sound good with Devores whereas one could get away with using solid state with the Tylers.

To make things even more confusing, I sold my Tylers locally to a guy who was(is?) selling his Devore 8s.  He had them paired with a Leben.  He likes the Tylers better and says they have more bass.  Go figure!  We listened to both speakers on his Leben when I brought over the Tylers to his house.  I can't remember which Leben he had, however.  I didn't look in side but he said it used El84 tubes.  He had vinyl but it looked like he listened mostly to cds and listen only to vinyl at home (too many records to choose from and digital is for the car).

toobluvr

« Reply #83 on: 20 Jun 2007, 07:51 pm »

What specifically do you like better about the Gibbon 8 than the Taylo Ref monitors?

Things sound more coherent (hard to describe) and soundstaging is better.  They absolutely disappear.  They also provided lower bass (true to spec) and what I believe to be bass that is more accurate along the frequency range.  Imo, the Tylers had much more midbass which gave the illusion of them having more bass...a much warmer sound.  Perhaps some of this had to do with the room. 

Tonally speaking, I get the impression that many solid state amps would not sound good with Devores whereas one could get away with using solid state with the Tylers.

To make things even more confusing, I sold my Tylers locally to a guy who was(is?) selling his Devore 8s.  He had them paired with a Leben.  He likes the Tylers better and says they have more bass.  Go figure!  We listened to both speakers on his Leben when I brought over the Tylers to his house.  I can't remember which Leben he had, however.  I didn't look in side but he said it used El84 tubes.  He had vinyl but it looked like he listened mostly to cds and listen only to vinyl at home (too many records to choose from and digital is for the car).

Hmm...that's quite interesting. Your description makes me think the Tylers would be more to my liking. Typically, people who say a certain speaker might sound best with a tube amp say this because they assume a tube amp will add warmth to an otherwise cold sounding speaker. My impression of my CS-600 is that it is more neutral than it is warm, and I generally engage the CS-600's 3dB bass boost to add some midbass.

Your friend's Leben sounds like it's the 15wpc CS-300, which uses EL84 output tubes, and different input tubes than the CS-600.

I dunno about that....

Tubes are my preference, yet I listen to my DeVores with a hybrid amp....tubed input, SS output.  My DeVores don't strike me as speakers that are tipped up, thin, bleached, or in any way needing of tubes for sweetening.  Quite the opposite....to my ears, they are voiced to the warm, full and "musical" side of neutral.  Which is why I like them, because my tastes and priorities lie in that direction.  I suppose it is possible that DeVore floorstanders have a different signature, but I'd be surprised.

As far as the Tylers, I've never heard them, but I've read many comments about them sounding very  transparent and detailed, but perhaps at the cost of musicality, and perhaps just a bit too forward, analytical and incisive.  This sounds to me that perhaps they are the ones that need tubes to get sympatico sound?

:dunno:

miklorsmith

« Reply #84 on: 20 Jun 2007, 08:08 pm »
I don't think the Super 8's are in need of tube warmth at all - I've heard them twice with all SS setups and they sounded excellent.  Once was playing a Coltrane record on a Really Expensive Naim rack - the kind that a reasonably priced speaker wouldn't normally be played with, but ooohh la la, yumminess.

However, My Opinion is that the person that gravitates toward the DeVores will be someone that prizes what tubes have to offer.  They are cut of the same cloth.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #85 on: 20 Jun 2007, 08:11 pm »
imo, all speakers will sound best w/a tube amp.  which amp depends on which speaker.  aa

ymmv,

doug s.

toobluvr

« Reply #86 on: 20 Jun 2007, 08:21 pm »
However, My Opinion is that the person that gravitates toward the DeVores will be someone that prizes what tubes have to offer.  They are cut of the same cloth.

Couldn't have said it better myself!
I tried to, but couldn't!

:thumb:

Plink

« Reply #87 on: 21 Jun 2007, 03:04 am »
I don't think the Super 8's are in need of tube warmth at all - I've heard them twice with all SS setups and they sounded excellent.  Once was playing a Coltrane record on a Really Expensive Naim rack - the kind that a reasonably priced speaker wouldn't normally be played with, but ooohh la la, yumminess.

well...forget I said tubes/solid state...what I really mean is if I had to pair a dry sounding amp with speakers, I'd do it with the Tylers over the Devores. 

rave959

« Reply #88 on: 21 Jun 2007, 05:58 am »

Hmm...that's quite interesting. Your description makes me think the Tylers would be more to my liking. Typically, people who say a certain speaker might sound best with a tube amp say this because they assume a tube amp will add warmth to an otherwise cold sounding speaker. My impression of my CS-600 is that it is more neutral than it is warm, and I generally engage the CS-600's 3dB bass boost to add some midbass.

Your friend's Leben sounds like it's the 15wpc CS-300, which uses EL84 output tubes, and different input tubes than the CS-600.

I dunno about that....

Tubes are my preference, yet I listen to my DeVores with a hybrid amp....tubed input, SS output.  My DeVores don't strike me as speakers that are tipped up, thin, bleached, or in any way needing of tubes for sweetening.  Quite the opposite....to my ears, they are voiced to the warm, full and "musical" side of neutral.  Which is why I like them, because my tastes and priorities lie in that direction.  I suppose it is possible that DeVore floorstanders have a different signature, but I'd be surprised.

As far as the Tylers, I've never heard them, but I've read many comments about them sounding very  transparent and detailed, but perhaps at the cost of musicality, and perhaps just a bit too forward, analytical and incisive.  This sounds to me that perhaps they are the ones that need tubes to get sympatico sound?

:dunno:

Hi Guys,

I will chime in

Hello all,

I have heard both and I guess you can take my opinion for what it's worth.  I auditioned the gibbon super 8's in In Living Stereo with Shindo gear and I used to own the Tyler Acoustics Taylo Monitor.  I thought that this monitor would only go down to about 75ish hertz and is meant to be mated with a subwoofer.  While it did not have the bass that was felt and heard, it still had a tuneful midbass that somewhat provided an "elastic" realism to drum instruments.  The super 8's definitely had more sparkle on the top end and is more neutral sounding.  The super 8's had better bass, probably because it's a floorstander and is meant to be used with or without a sub (this only applies of course for the lowest octaves).  The Taylo's on the other hand, are definitely more forgiving.  I consider this as one of its strengths because even though it was warm sounding, it was still able to convey the right amount of resolution, without being analytical.  I sold it because I was looking for ultimate neutrality and accuracy in speakers, and have gone through several pairs after then :icon_lol:

When I had the Taylos, I was using the following gear:

Sony SCD-XA777es cd/sacd player
Van Alstine tslr-7 preamp
Odyssey Stratos Extreme Amplifier/Norh Multiamp
ACI Titan Sub (Original Version)
ACI Jaguar 2000 (to compare, and still own)

Cheers,
ian

toobluvr

« Reply #89 on: 21 Jun 2007, 05:09 pm »

Hello all,

I have heard both and I guess you can take my opinion for what it's worth.  I auditioned the gibbon super 8's in In Living Stereo with Shindo gear and I used to own the Tyler Acoustics Taylo Monitor.  I thought that this monitor would only go down to about 75ish hertz and is meant to be mated with a subwoofer.  While it did not have the bass that was felt and heard, it still had a tuneful midbass that somewhat provided an "elastic" realism to drum instruments.  The super 8's definitely had more sparkle on the top end and is more neutral sounding.  The super 8's had better bass, probably because it's a floorstander and is meant to be used with or without a sub (this only applies of course for the lowest octaves).  The Taylo's on the other hand, are definitely more forgiving.  I consider this as one of its strengths because even though it was warm sounding, it was still able to convey the right amount of resolution, without being analytical.  I sold it because I was looking for ultimate neutrality and accuracy in speakers, and have gone through several pairs after then :icon_lol:

When I had the Taylos, I was using the following gear:

Sony SCD-XA777es cd/sacd player
Van Alstine tslr-7 preamp
Odyssey Stratos Extreme Amplifier/Norh Multiamp
ACI Titan Sub (Original Version)
ACI Jaguar 2000 (to compare, and still own)

Cheers,
ian

Hi Ian...

Thanks for that worthwhile and lucid comparo.
I must say, I am a bit surprised.

How you describe the Taylos, is exactly what I hear in my Gibbons monitors.  I am quite sensitive to any sort of thin, etched, dry, bleached or excessively tipped or analytical sound.  While I do find them them sufficiently transparent and revealing, I sure don't hear any of that.

toobluvr

« Reply #90 on: 21 Jun 2007, 08:01 pm »
I believe the associated gear is of utmost importance in the comments made above, and I believe I can understand how each speaker would display the given characteristics in each of the listener's systems.

Thanks for listing the equipment used. It's very, very helpful.

Ian, you heard the Gibbons with Shindo gear. This is considered to be an ideal pairing. I take it the Gibbons still didn't do it for you. What did you end up buying, and are you driving them with the Odyssey amps?

When listening to speakers, I am fully aware that you are also listening to the amps signature.....and to all gear in the chain, for that matter.  Earlier I listed the 3 amps I tried.   I know their signatures well from having used them over time on several speakers.    I took this into account when commenting on my DeVore monitors.  That is, I tried to describe and isolate the "sound" of the speaker.

toobluvr

« Reply #91 on: 21 Jun 2007, 09:42 pm »

Frankly, I think I've caught lightning in a bottle, and I don't relish buying something different, spending more, and finding it's not as good...

Congrats!

Most folks on here probably know that tons of $$$ does not guarantee good sound, and that better sound can often be had for less.  A local buddy of mine just downsized his very expensive system.  He feels it is the most musically satisfying and emotionally rivetting system he's ever had (I happen to agree), AND he's put several dozen thousand dollars into his pocket in the process!!

Win-Win!!    :thumb:

« Last Edit: 21 Jun 2007, 09:58 pm by toobluvr »

toobluvr

« Reply #92 on: 21 Jun 2007, 09:55 pm »
Congrats!

Most folks on here probably know that tons of $$$ does not guarantee good sound, and that better sound can often be had for less.  A local buddy of mine just downsized his very expensive system.  He feels it is the most musically satisfying and emotionally rivetting system he's ever had (I happen to agree), AND he's put several dozen thousand dollars into his pocket in the process!!

Win-Win!!    :thumb:

Thanks. We'll see how it unfolds.

What comprises your friend's new system?

New system is:

All top-of-the-line EAR gear:  digital, preamp, amp.
Marten Designs Bird loudspeakers   (Heritage Series)

*  Analog setup remains constant:  all Brinkmann table / arm / cartridge
*  cabling remains constant and unfamiliar

toobluvr

« Reply #93 on: 21 Jun 2007, 10:05 pm »
Yikes. Your friend downsized to $29,700 Marten Bird loudspeakers?!

That's a whole 'nother league of downsizing. I'm in single A ball by comparison...  ;)

:lol:

Yep....like I said.....he downsized from a very expensive system.
Way outta my league too!

PS:  I see you like to ride.  I have a Litespeed Arenberg.

Onlythat

« Reply #94 on: 21 Jun 2007, 10:12 pm »
My two cents------      I have owned Devore Gibbon 8's in the past and used them with tubes at one point.  I would call them fast,punchy, and detailed/revealing.  Wonderful imagers too.  They did strike me however, depending on equipment matching, as somewhat forward and tipped up a bit/thin tonally. 
   This is the reason I ultimately sold them. Adjusting the angle of the spikes/spacers on the bottom seemed certainly to mitigate this somewhat, but I never could get them to sing. 
    As to "so many people love them they cant be bad"-- well let me go on the on-line record as stating I have heard Thiel (sp?) speakers roughly one million times (give or take) in my 25 years as an audiophile and I have never heard them make a musical sound.  Not once. Okay-- maybe one or two times, but it was a cymbal and those drivers ARE metal.  Seriously-- I dont like Thiels.  To my ear they are analytical and harsh and detailed as all get out to a fault.
    This was NOT the case with the Gibbons, but I could get them going in that direction depending on the front end, wiring (Nordost was terrible with them!)
    Lots of guys use Thiel as their REFERENCE speakers.  So the everybody loves Raymond (or Devores) certainly isnt a good reason to buy them unheard.   Those reviewers are entitled to their opinions-- I just dont listen to any that use Thiel as a reference-- we clearly dont hear the same.
   As for sixmoons, wonderful mag and wonderful reviews, but some of the writers (including the main bottle washer) -- IMHO of course--- seem to love shall we say-- gear that's a bit on the sunnier side of the street tonally.  The consonance 2.2 Ref Linear CD player is one such animal.
   I know of one dealer who posts on message boards such as this occasionally that has heard the Devore line in-house and has chosen not to carry it owing to a feeling that it was a bit too detailed and-- how did he put it-- "lacked depth tonally."  (translation-- wasnt as full, rounded and fleshed out as he thought a good speaker ought to be).  I believe he likened them to Thiels in his subsequent email to me.   
    By this post I simply mean to offer another opinion-- not further stir up any stew.  I guess, in a sentence-- if at all possible-- hear before you buy.  Even if it's in a tiny room like In Living Stereo has-- it'll still be usefull-- especially before you buy NEW-- that's for sure!!!!!  You could lose a LOT of money gambling on other peoples' ears. 
   I did with the Gibbons to the tune of about 600 to 800 bucks (or was it more?).  Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to read a review of that new Thiel with the corrugated aluminum cones and then comb audiogon for a pair.  I hear they're GREAT...   :D

Onlythat

« Reply #95 on: 21 Jun 2007, 10:14 pm »
My two cents------      I have owned Devore Gibbon 8's in the past and used them with tubes at one point.  I would call them fast,punchy, and detailed/revealing.  Wonderful imagers too.  They did strike me however, depending on equipment matching, as somewhat forward and tipped up a bit/thin tonally.  
   This is the reason I ultimately sold them. Adjusting the angle of the spikes/spacers on the bottom seemed certainly to mitigate this somewhat, but I never could get them to sing.  
    As to "so many people love them they cant be bad"-- well let me go on the on-line record as stating I have heard Thiel (sp?) speakers roughly one million times (give or take) in my 25 years as an audiophile and I have never heard them make a musical sound.  Not once. Okay-- maybe one or two times, but it was a cymbal and those drivers ARE metal.  Seriously-- I dont like Thiels.  To my ear they are analytical and harsh and detailed as all get out to a fault.
    This was NOT the case with the Gibbons, but I could get them going in that direction depending on the front end, wiring (Nordost was terrible with them!)
    Lots of guys use Thiel as their REFERENCE speakers.  So the everybody loves Raymond (or Devores) certainly isnt a good reason to buy them unheard.   Those reviewers are entitled to their opinions-- I just dont listen to any that use Thiel as a reference-- we clearly dont hear the same.
   As for sixmoons, wonderful mag and wonderful reviews, but some of the writers (including the main bottle washer) -- IMHO of course--- seem to love shall we say-- gear that's a bit on the sunnier side of the street tonally.  The consonance 2.2 Ref Linear CD player is one such animal.
   I know of one dealer who posts on message boards such as this occasionally that has heard the Devore line in-house and has chosen not to carry it owing to a feeling that it was a bit too detailed and-- how did he put it-- "lacked depth tonally."  (translation-- wasnt as full, rounded and fleshed out as he thought a good speaker ought to be).  I believe he likened them to Thiels in his subsequent email to me.  
    By this post I simply mean to offer another opinion-- not further stir up any stew.  I guess, in a sentence-- if at all possible-- hear before you buy.  Even if it's in a tiny room like In Living Stereo has-- it'll still be usefull-- especially before you buy NEW-- that's for sure!!!!!  You could lose a LOT of money gambling on other peoples' ears.  
   I did with the Gibbons to the tune of about 600 to 800 bucks (or was it more?).  Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to read a review of that new Thiel with the corrugated aluminum cones and then comb audiogon for a pair.  I hear they're GREAT...   :D

toobluvr

« Reply #96 on: 21 Jun 2007, 10:15 pm »
Yikes. Your friend downsized to $29,700 Marten Bird loudspeakers?!

That's a whole 'nother league of downsizing. I'm in single A ball by comparison...  ;)

But you know what?
He still comes over and listens to my system, and enjoys it very much.
Compared to his, mine is certainly not embarrassed, and I don't feel it is significantly lacking.

toobluvr

« Reply #97 on: 21 Jun 2007, 10:22 pm »
My two cents------      I have owned Devore Gibbon 8's in the past and used them with tubes at one point.  I would call them fast,punchy, and detailed/revealing.  Wonderful imagers too.  They did strike me however, depending on equipment matching, as somewhat forward and tipped up a bit/thin tonally. 
    As to "so many people love them they cant be bad"-- well let me go on the on-line record as stating I have heard Thiel (sp?) speakers roughly one million times (give or take) in my 25 years as an audiophile and I have never heard them make a musical sound.  Not once. Okay-- maybe one or two times, but it was a cymbal and those drivers ARE metal.  Seriously-- I dont like Thiels.  To my ear they are analytical and harsh and detailed as all get out to a fault.
    Lots of guys use Thiel as their REFERENCE speakers.  So the everybody loves Raymond (or Devores) certainly isnt a good reason to buy them unheard.   Those reviewers are entitled to their opinions-- I just dont listen to any that use Thiel as a reference-- we clearly dont hear the same.
   As for sixmoons, wonderful mag and wonderful reviews, but some of the writers (including the main bottle washer) -- IMHO of course--- seem to love shall we say-- gear that's a bit on the sunnier side of the street tonally.  The consonance 2.2 Ref Linear CD player is one such animal.
   I know of one dealer who posts on message boards such as this occasionally that has heard the Devore line in-house and has chosen not to carry it owing to a feeling that it was a bit too detailed and-- how did he put it-- "lacked depth tonally."  (translation-- wasnt as full, rounded and fleshed out as he thought a good speaker ought to be).  I believe he likened them to Thiels in his subsequent email to me.   
    By this post I simply mean to offer another opinion-- not further stir up any stew.  I guess, in a sentence-- if at all possible-- hear before you buy.  Even if it's in a tiny room like In Living Stereo has-- it'll still be usefull-- especially before you buy NEW-- that's for sure!!!!!  You could lose a LOT of money gambling on other peoples' ears. 
   I did with the Gibbons to the tune of about 600 to 800 bucks (or was it more?).  Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to read a review of that new Thiel with the corrugated aluminum cones and then comb audiogon for a pair.  I hear they're GREAT...   :D

Agree with you 100% on the Thiels!  I think they produce some god-awful sound and could never understand the praise they get.  Then again, I feel the same way about the Merlin VSM I once owned, that they were thin, etched and un-musical, and they too get universal praise.  Go fig-ya!   :scratch:

As far as DeVore....
Never heard the floorstanders.  I own the monitors, so my comments are limited to them.  I can say I will not tolerate thin, harsh, tipped, analytical or otherwise unmusical speakers....never, ever.  I'm particularly sensitive to it.  And my DeVore monitors never sound that way.

Hogg

« Reply #98 on: 22 Jun 2007, 01:52 am »
I've only heard the Gibbons at "In Living Stereo" in NYC.  I like others found them too tipped-up in the treble and therefore not easy to listen to for long periods of time.  The dealer was driving them with a Moon I5 integrated.  The excess treble distracted one from the midrange and bass.  The dealer then switched to a Shindo, Cain system.  The speakers were the Abby's; a beautiful sound with great tone.

I'd be leery of any speaker than sounds good with only one type or make of amplification.  I remember a very interesting demonstration by Red Planet audio (now defunct I believe) at the 2005 New York Hi End Show.  The 250 watts per channel solid state amplifier was driving Rethm speakers.  The combo was excellent; great sound stage, superb tonality, etc.

Jim

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #99 on: 22 Jun 2007, 01:05 pm »
while i happen to think thiels are awesome speakers - extremely musical, fantastic soundstaging, wery detailed, while not at all harsh - i know i have some personal "i'd never own those" speakers of my own.  vandersteen & magnapan come to mind.

so, i am 100% with "onlythat", re: his suggestions that you have to try before you buy, if you are considering buying new.  folks hear stuff differently.  if you buy used, you can afford to take chances - you get to hear different speakers in your own rig, & you can re-sell w/o taking a financial bath.

ymmv,

doug s.