Sensation Quirks

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
Re: Sensation Quirks
« Reply #20 on: 24 Aug 2010, 04:18 am »
Where'd you get the feet?  Hurt anyone with those yet?

tabrink

• lake life is good
« Reply #21 on: 24 Aug 2010, 04:24 am »
Hey Seth,
Your the BD  Business development guy!
Which is what I do myself!
 BD guy!
In layman's terms it means buy dinner!
As far as my isolation system I don't want to have to shoot ya!  But the sonic add was really pretty significant!
 :lol: :lol:

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #22 on: 24 Aug 2010, 05:57 am »
Cool.  So tell us about them.  I developed the standard feet to protect surfaces and they really don't do much more than that (nothing good for sonics).  Perhaps others would like to upgrade as well!

Nuuk

• Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence.
    • Decibel Dungeon
« Reply #23 on: 24 Aug 2010, 06:01 pm »
http://www.decdun.me.uk/listeningroometc.html#ddt

May be of interest talking about feet etc.  :wink:

saisunil

« Reply #24 on: 24 Aug 2010, 07:32 pm »
I have used Isol-Pads effectively under all equipments and first things it does is - it does no harm ...

Paul from Tube Research Labs recommends this and ships his gear with these unattached feet ...

Of course I am speculating their effect on Sensation, as I am still awaiting toi receive it ... but based on my experience - these isol pads are easy to use, affordable, helpful and above all - do no harm ... some of these tuning devices end them making the eqipment thick, think, fast or slow sounding ... in the end you just can't go wrong with plain mdf and rubber, I guess  :icon_lol:

Mariusz

« Reply #25 on: 24 Aug 2010, 08:29 pm »
I have used Isol-Pads effectively under all equipments and first things it does is - it does no harm ...

Paul from Tube Research Labs recommends this and ships his gear with these unattached feet ...

Of course I am speculating their effect on Sensation, as I am still awaiting toi receive it ... but based on my experience - these isol pads are easy to use, affordable, helpful and above all - do no harm ... some of these tuning devices end them making the eqipment thick, think, fast or slow sounding ... in the end you just can't go wrong with plain mdf and rubber, I guess  :icon_lol:

Are you serious?
This is your solution to hiss problem?
 :duh: :lol: :duh: :lol: :duh: :lol:

saisunil

« Reply #26 on: 24 Aug 2010, 08:33 pm »
Should have quoted ...
It was in response to - isolation feet, not noise from pot or tubes ...

Cheers

Cool.  So tell us about them.  I developed the standard feet to protect surfaces and they really don't do much more than that (nothing good for sonics).  Perhaps others would like to upgrade as well!

Mariusz

« Reply #27 on: 24 Aug 2010, 08:35 pm »
oh that  :)

CSI

« Reply #28 on: 25 Aug 2010, 01:29 am »
Don't want to risk hi-jacking the "quirks" thread (if so, moderator please pull this). But since we're on the subject, when I was first breaking in my Sensation (with buffer) I slipped a set of Herbie's Tenderfeet under it. I do this will all my gear and have sort of settled on Herbie's stuff over the years as being pretty effective - certainly very cost effective. Frankly, I heard no difference. Then a couple of days later I tried Iso-Cups. Big difference! Tighter bass, smoother top end. I took them right out again to be sure I wasn't just hearing things. I wasn't. The Iso-Cups are a permanent tweek for my Sensation. As always, your mileage may vary.

tabrink

• lake life is good
« Reply #29 on: 25 Aug 2010, 03:38 am »
Where'd you get the feet?  Hurt anyone with those yet?
"Cool.  So tell us about them.  I developed the standard feet to protect surfaces and they really don't do much more than that (nothing good for sonics).  Perhaps others would like to upgrade as well!"

Seth,
I has to do with timbre and especially resonance. Brilliance really. Think about the drum stick hitting the frame of the snare rather than the snare. Think about the sound of lips brushing a microphone or the mumblings of the string bass guy as he gets a groove happening. The gasping for air of the sax player or the thumb plucks of the banjo.
Real music is starting to happen here as I play with my Virtue systems daily.
Read my Avatar! Love my tubed Sensation! Thank you Gary!

« Last Edit: 25 Aug 2010, 06:20 pm by tabrink »

OzarkTom

« Reply #30 on: 25 Aug 2010, 04:26 am »
I am not believing my quirk on the tube moise in my Sensation. I need to do more evaluating. Mayne this thread was just an omen or something. Thanks gang.

I turned my Sensation on last night, and the tube noise on the 12ax7 tubes was down by 50% or more and the 5751 noise was down by 75% or more. Tonight was the same way. Now I wonder if something is broke, but the sound is still the same greatness. I cannot hear the 12ax7's at all when the music is playing while turning the volume up or down, and slightly hear it when the 5751 tubes are hooked up when playing.

I wonder if Gary would know what has happened? Would there be a part in the buffer that has burned in and has mellowed out the tube noise? I have about 200+ hours on it now. More later....

OzarkTom

« Reply #31 on: 27 Aug 2010, 11:57 am »
Here is what I found in my system as far as tube noise. I will rate these 1-5, with 1 as being the quietest.

1. Amperex, Ge and Sylvania 12ax7
2. Telefunken, RCA and Raytheon 12ax7
3. JJ stock tube
4. Mullard
5. Any brabd of the 5751 tubes

I wish the 5751 tubes were quieter, but as CSI and I has noted, that is the best sound you will have in your Sensation. You hear more of the ambiance of the instruments and more of the hall which gives you more holographic 3D effect and more liveliness of the music.

My Sensation is not as noisy as it was, so the burn-in period could be a part of that.

CSI

« Reply #32 on: 27 Aug 2010, 05:45 pm »
Here is what I found in my system as far as tube noise. I will rate these 1-5, with 1 as being the quietest.

1. Amperex, Ge and Sylvania 12ax7
2. Telefunken, RCA and Raytheon 12ax7
3. JJ stock tube
4. Mullard
5. Any brabd of the 5751 tubes

I wish the 5751 tubes were quieter, but as CSI and I has noted, that is the best sound you will have in your Sensation. You hear more of the ambiance of the instruments and more of the hall which gives you more holographic 3D effect and more liveliness of the music.

My Sensation is not as noisy as it was, so the burn-in period could be a part of that.

Like he said. You really must try a 5751 (if you shop around a bit you don't need to pay a fortune). If it is too noisy for you, sell it to some other Sensationista (to coin a phrase). For what it's worth, I am also noticing a slight decrease in background noise (no music playing) as my amp breaks in. Also, FWIW, when you get a chance try the sensation as a preamp (assuming you have a good quality power amp in your arsenal). You will be pleasantly surprised.

Mariusz

« Reply #33 on: 27 Aug 2010, 06:41 pm »
FWIW
Out of curiosity, I swap few tubes around and compare two Sensation integrated amps - with and without buffer. 

- I found little improvements in eliminating hiss by tube swapping.
- hiss is louder while adj.  volume
- it gets better when mute is on
- non tube version is death quiet.
- it needs attention
- if it can be fixed by user, even better.

Love this Virtue amp and hope it will get even better?

Mariusz

CSI

« Reply #34 on: 27 Aug 2010, 09:14 pm »
I, too, have found that my amp is very slightly quieter with the buffer switched out. But this is a level of noise that is on a par with the very quietest SS amps I've owned. With the buffer in, the background noise is only barely louder - can't hear it at all from a few inches away.

The rushing sound from the volume control is the same with/without the buffer switched in. It also varies depending on where the control is in its rotation with some areas dead quiet. I'm guessing this is some sort of interaction between the POT and the buffer circuit but - the main point is - it really doesn't hurt anything.

vfreeman13

« Reply #35 on: 28 Aug 2010, 12:32 am »
Hi guys,

I am concerned regarding the hissing with the tube buffer.  Not to be a hard ass but when you spend  $1K plus you expect things to be 'in order'.  I have a sensation on order with the buffer currently that has been delivered yet and am wondering what kind of db were talking about at 1 meter.  Does anyone have a SPL to measure?

OzarkTom

« Reply #36 on: 28 Aug 2010, 01:52 am »
Hi guys,

I am concerned regarding the hissing with the tube buffer.  Not to be a hard ass but when you spend  $1K plus you expect things to be 'in order'.  I have a sensation on order with the buffer currently that has been delivered yet and am wondering what kind of db were talking about at 1 meter.  Does anyone have a SPL to measure?

The hissing does not occur when the volume is sitting still. You can easily play it all day with no hiss ever heard.

But the sound is unbelievable.

Mariusz

« Reply #37 on: 28 Aug 2010, 02:02 am »
The hissing does not occur when the volume is sitting still. You can easily play it all day with no hiss ever heard.

But the sound is unbelievable.

My does  :(

tabrink

• lake life is good
« Reply #38 on: 28 Aug 2010, 02:17 am »
Since I am in the habit of leaving the volume control at sensible levels when changing a CD or pausing, the slight background
sound is nearly non existent and absolutely not an issue..I can tell you mine is nearly gone and I just never even think about it. This puppy puts out sweet sound with a lot of punch and sonic buttery smoothness. Had to force myself to leave the volume turned up a few times and still a non issue. From my listening nothing.

On an other note the 5710 tube is absolutely amazing. Nearly as big a jump as when I switch back from not using the buffer..... Had to open the cover to make sure.

OzarkTom

« Reply #39 on: 28 Aug 2010, 02:42 am »
My does  :(

Mine did too until this week, especially with the 5751 tubes. The Sylvania GB 5751 was the worst of all. The guy that sold it to me said I could return it, now I am glad I didn't. It sounds too good.