Amplifier ‘Synergy’

Ragnar71

Amplifier ‘Synergy’
« on: 27 Jun 2019, 02:55 am »
I know most things in this field are objective, but is it a common theory that Spatials  respond to class D amplification better than A/B. I read a post saying something to that and was wondering g if that was a widely held perception or just someone really happy with their own set up.

harley.guy07

Re: Amplifier ‘Synergy’
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jun 2019, 05:40 am »
I think it is system dependent. I have heard people say they enjoy theirs with class D amps but I love mine with my Class A A/B Pass Labs amp. I believe Clayton at one time was showing his speakers with Linear Tube Audio brand products which are a tube amplifier that uses no output transformer. So I believe system synergy has more to do with the sound and outcome than the type of electronics you choose. Also with a sensitivity as high as they have they allow you more options for electronics as far as amplifiers go

Wind Chaser

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jun 2019, 08:03 am »
...with a sensitivity as high as they have they allow you more options for electronics as far as amplifiers go

While that is indeed true, I wouldn't recommend single ended triodes. In addition to sensitivity, one has to consider the load the speaker puts on the amp.

Shredder

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jun 2019, 01:40 pm »
I power my L2s with an a/b Ayre integrated and they sound great.

harley.guy07

« Reply #4 on: 28 Jun 2019, 03:40 am »
I power my L2s with an a/b Ayre integrated and they sound great.

I've always liked Ayre electronics and wondered how they sounded with a Spatial speaker. Seems like your happy. I myself looked at Ayre and Plinius before settling on my Pass Labs. I will admit my love of Nelson Pass's philosophies of amplifier designs had a lot to do with the direction I went. But those two other brands equally intrigue me. In fact before getting my new pre dac I wanted to here Ayre but did not know anyone in the area that owned them

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #5 on: 28 Jun 2019, 06:56 am »
Clayton has a pair of Golden Cherry Maraschinos (proprietary Class-D with hybrid modulation).   :D