songsurround + sub versus ST

gregcss

songsurround + sub versus ST
« on: 15 Oct 2011, 03:10 pm »
Hello, I am slowly building my HT with Salk song series speakers. I've already received a pair of songsurrounds and use them for my front L&R. Since they are in a bedroom (18x11) it cant tell how they will do as main speaker in a larger room (family room-no dimensions yet, will be moving in a year).

I am quite impressed with the SQ for music and HT from these speakers and plan to order another pair of speakers for either fronts or rears. I was thinking getting another pair of songsurrounds or move up to the STs. Regardless of the option I choose I will also get a sub (songsub, svs, rythmik, etc).

For music, do you think the songsurrounds + sub will work and how would this compare to just using the STs alone? Would the STs improve the HT experience over the SS as mains?

Thanks!

jd3

Re: songsurround + sub versus ST
« Reply #1 on: 16 Oct 2011, 10:05 am »
Since I've had and used both models as mains I'll offer a couple comments.  First, you could be very happy with just a Songsurround system with a sub.  I've used the Songsurrounds as mains briefly (with and without a sub) and they are very nice.  They are a very good bookshelf speaker, great midrange (like all of Jim's speakers) and go surprisingly low.  However, ST's will give you a more top to bottom sound, even used with a sub.  If you can afford it I'd go with the ST's as mains and use the Songsurrounds as surrounds.   In short, yes, the ST's (in my experience) should improve your HT experience.

gregcss

« Reply #2 on: 16 Oct 2011, 03:22 pm »
Thanks JD3, this is exactly what I was looking for. I think I'll go the ST route.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #3 on: 16 Oct 2011, 04:41 pm »
i would agree w/jd3, if you are talking about the single-woofer songsurround.  however, if you are talking the mtm iteration, and are willing to go w/a pair of subs and an active x-over, i would choose that instead of the st's.  in almost all cases, imo, a stand-mount iteration of a floorstander, when properly integrated w/active x-over and subs, will always outperform the floorstander.  it will likely cost more, but it will punch way over its class, imo.

ymmv,

doug s.