Stephen Wilburn's ebony HT3's

jsalk

Stephen Wilburn's ebony HT3's
« on: 12 Sep 2006, 10:43 pm »
Stephen wanted macassar ebony but was quite particular about the grain pattern.  He wanted something somewhat interesting, but not too wild.  We looked at quite a few batches before settling on this one.

I later purchased a nice claro walnut board for the front baffles.  It turned out to be a real nice match. 

The result was a very rich looking set of HT3's.  Here they are:

Here's the side panel of one of them:

And a close-up of the front baffle:

Happy listening Stephen!

- Jim

TF1216

• Industry Participant
Re: Stephen Wilburn's ebony HT3's
« Reply #1 on: 12 Sep 2006, 11:05 pm »
Every pair of HT3s turn out amazing but this time I have to chime in.  Those are absolutely magical!

Gosh...

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #2 on: 12 Sep 2006, 11:07 pm »
Stunning combo Jim!   :thumb:

I wish my former Ebony speakers looked as good. 

George

BradJudy

« Reply #3 on: 12 Sep 2006, 11:12 pm »
Very nice once again.  Makes me want to go finish a walnut bowl I'm working on.  :)

jermmd

« Reply #4 on: 13 Sep 2006, 01:11 am »
Beautiful!
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I love the Claro Walnut!

Steve Vol

« Reply #5 on: 13 Sep 2006, 01:26 am »
Jim, thanks for beautiful work.  The speakers exceeded my expectations of what they would look like.  Now I can't wait till they arrive and I get to hear how great they sound.  I know I will not be disappointed. 

Thanks for all the work you did to build these speakers.

Steve
Houston

MaxCast

« Reply #6 on: 13 Sep 2006, 12:13 pm »
Bravo!

Christof

« Reply #7 on: 14 Sep 2006, 01:53 am »
Nice work Jim!

Can someone photoshop a faux tuxedo onto the bottom grille. For some reason these speakers look so stately to me I kinda expect them to hand me a cup of tea or a biscuit or something on a silver platter.  Stephen, if this was your choice of wood species, I must commend your taste.

95bcwh

« Reply #8 on: 14 Sep 2006, 03:53 am »
Jim, thanks for beautiful work.  The speakers exceeded my expectations of what they would look like.  Now I can't wait till they arrive and I get to hear how great they sound.  I know I will not be disappointed. 

Thanks for all the work you did to build these speakers.

Steve
Houston

Dude, that's a stunning piece of art, if in the very unlikely event you're disappointed... then I will buy them from you.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Zero

« Reply #9 on: 14 Sep 2006, 04:00 am »
In complete envy over here.  Just - - - wow.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #10 on: 14 Sep 2006, 01:15 pm »
So Jim   Are you planning on something like that for RMAF?

Steve Vol

« Reply #11 on: 14 Sep 2006, 03:31 pm »
"Dude, that's a stunning piece of art, if in the very unlikely event you're disappointed... then I will buy them from you..  " 

Barry, thanks for offer - NOT.  LOL.  I think they would contrast with your pair!

Jim does awesome work doesn't he.  Although I picked the woods, it's Jim who puts it together and make the speakers look sooo good.  What a great combo, great sound and great looks in a speaker.

randybessinger

« Reply #12 on: 14 Sep 2006, 04:49 pm »
Wow!!  Congrats Stephen on a great pair of speakers!!

jsalk

« Reply #13 on: 14 Sep 2006, 05:16 pm »
Dennis -

I am working on a "Rocky Mountain Special."  I won't have much to say about it until it is farther along.  But since one of the charming things about Denver is the Latino influence, I purchased an exhibition-grade piece of Mexican cocobolo for this project. 

Here it is:

I'll leave the rest to your imagination until later.

- Jim

mgalusha

« Reply #14 on: 14 Sep 2006, 06:14 pm »
I am working on a "Rocky Mountain Special."  I won't have much to say about it until it is farther along.  But since one of the charming things about Denver is the Latino influence, I purchased an exhibition-grade piece of Mexican cocobolo for this project.

That's one beautiful piece of wood. Can't wait to see how those turn out. Now there will be at least two sets of Cocobolo speakers at RMAF.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #15 on: 14 Sep 2006, 06:16 pm »
Dennis -

Here it is:

I'll leave the rest to your imagination until later.

- Jim

Drool....

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

George

95bcwh

« Reply #16 on: 14 Sep 2006, 06:32 pm »
Will this "special edition" version of HT3 be put up on auction at the RMAF? :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

Kishore

« Reply #17 on: 14 Sep 2006, 08:38 pm »

Jim, your craftsmanship is nothing short of  :aa:  :bowdown:. I never really liked ebony till I saw the pix now on what you have done with it :inlove:

You have set a bar on what speakers should look (wrt sonics- your happy customers have done the talkin anyways :thumb:)

I definitely owe myself to become your customer some day  8)

Cheers,
Kishore

jsalk

« Reply #18 on: 14 Sep 2006, 10:35 pm »
Barry -

Will this "special edition" version of HT3 be put up on auction at the RMAF? :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

I don't think so.  I was considering it for a while.  But as the project became more involved, I realized that these would be the most expensive pair of HT3's I have done to date.  

All of the speakers we build are for sale and these will be too.  But if there are no takers at the show, these will look fabulous in my home theater.  I will be in no hurry to get rid of them.

After working on Kirk's HT3's, I realized that there is another level to take cabinets.  So I am thinking of establishing some sort of special edition speakers with no limit to cost.  Amboyna burl front baffles anyone?  

These would obviously be very expensive speakers and I have no idea what market potential they may have.  But I would certainly love producing them for someone looking for something EXTRA special.

This particular pair of HT3's would definitely fit in that category.

- Jim

Christof

« Reply #19 on: 15 Sep 2006, 12:11 am »
Another level.....I dare someone to commission solid Pink Ivory baffles on Purpleheart cabinets!!!