Added vinyl

Chico Jim

• Trust your ears
Added vinyl
« on: 13 Aug 2018, 11:59 am »

Last week I was looking for a toaster at a local thrift store and saw a old tt and receiver marked as $100.00.  I found a toaster to replace my old one.  I passed on the tt and receiver but for some reason it piqued my interest as while both were grungy looking, I knew the receiver was decent, a radio shack realistic STA-76, I didn’t look that closely at the TT.  Fast forward a few days and I was in the area and stopped in and both were still there.  I took a closer look at the tt, a Miracord Elac made for Radio Shack, it still had the original Shure M75 cartridge and stylus, both in new condition.  It resembled my old Dual tt which was really decent.  Being senior day, I got both for $70.00 and took them home and cleaned my “cheap and cheerful” finds.  I also bought a few Lp’s that needed some love. 

The TT and Receiver are from 1972, tt made in W. Germany and the receiver in Japan and designed by David Hafler.  After setting up the TT I was off to the races. Oh my, I forgot how deep, thick and wonderful spinning vinyl sounded, even the occasional pop was forgiven.  I’m going to have fun building a vinyl collection around my thrift store find.  The receiver is really decent and the FM is damn near tube quality.  I mated it with my ah! Tjoeb CD Player and Totem arro’s and this little system is damn good.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Added vinyl
« Reply #1 on: 13 Aug 2018, 12:24 pm »
Enjoy your find!   A Dual matched with a Japanese receiver takes most of us back to the '70s and our vinyl days. 

Chico Jim

• Trust your ears
« Reply #2 on: 13 Aug 2018, 01:33 pm »
Very true.  My first real system was a dual 1219 and a Nikko receiver with JBL L66’s.  That was the system that led me down this amazing journey

Chico Jim

• Trust your ears
« Reply #3 on: 13 Aug 2018, 02:04 pm »
More pics

ohenry

« Reply #4 on: 13 Aug 2018, 04:12 pm »
A friend had that t-table and it was surprisingly good.  He preferred to simply turn on the rebadged player rather than futz around with his Transcriptor having a crazy low mass arm that was not friendly at all. 

When asked, he'd say, "Do you want some music or just look good while listening". 

Where's that Seals and Croft album?  :lol:

twitch54

« Reply #5 on: 13 Aug 2018, 04:14 pm »
cool find Jim, enjoy !

Chico Jim

• Trust your ears
« Reply #6 on: 13 Aug 2018, 04:53 pm »
Ohenry:

I’m totally blown away on how darn good it sounds.  Doing some micro adjustments with the anti-skate which seems to be best at zero which tells me it’s really level, that the angle and tracking are excellent.  I’m lucky as there’s a really cool record store and several thrifts to start building a decent vinyl collection. Just finished listening to some Harry Chapin 😊

Only going to get better with the new Jico stylus that will be to me Friday.  Maggie’s love everything, especially vinyl I’m finding out.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #7 on: 16 Aug 2018, 09:30 am »
That does take me back, looks to be in great shape, too.
Congratulations!

Chico Jim

• Trust your ears
« Reply #8 on: 16 Aug 2018, 11:41 am »
Steve:

It’s pretty clean.  New stylus is all it needed.  It has some slight rumble, typical of the era, not a factor when music is happening, only noticeable between tracks.  It is so musical😊

bacobits1

« Reply #9 on: 16 Aug 2018, 03:46 pm »
What's remarkable is back something in say '79 for instance it never sounded that good.
Surprising what's in those grooves!Keep tweaking..............