Need Speaker Advice

John151

Need Speaker Advice
« on: 13 Oct 2006, 06:34 pm »
I have a pair of Lorelies, powered by a Stereo Stratos Extreme, fed by a Tempest, with an SB3 upstream providing the source. The room is rectangular in shape, and medium sized (don't have the exampe measurements, but something around 15 x 25), with the speakers on a short wall.

For multi-channel, these speakers are outstanding.  However, for two channel, the bass is too strong, and tends to muddy up some music selections.  I tend to be sensative to bass, and generally prefer sealed enclosures over ported designs. 

I realize that it is hard to give advice with such sketchy details, but am hoping to build a list of options that might reduce or tighten the bass.  Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, John

yo2tup

Re: Need Speaker Advice
« Reply #1 on: 13 Oct 2006, 08:17 pm »
Have your tried plugging up the rear ports?

BradJudy

« Reply #2 on: 13 Oct 2006, 08:18 pm »
How close are they to the wall behind them?  Try pulling them 1-2 feet forward and see how the bass sounds.

djbnh

« Reply #3 on: 13 Oct 2006, 09:46 pm »
Please consider giving Klaus a call. I imagine he can provide you with prudent advice.

popsyr

« Reply #4 on: 14 Oct 2006, 01:13 am »
John

I have the front of my Loreleis about 30 inches from the wall and that is in a room that is 13 x 11.   I called Klaus when I first got my Lorelei and said that the bass was overbearing.  He said to pull them away from the wall.  Since then I have also added some lp album cabinets that are angled with a home made bass trap in the back.  That has really tamed the overbearing bass.

Jason1

« Reply #5 on: 14 Oct 2006, 01:50 am »
John

I have the front of my Loreleis about 30 inches from the wall and that is in a room that is 13 x 11.  

You have two real options. Plug the ports, or buy some large bass traps.

totoro

« Reply #6 on: 14 Oct 2006, 03:15 am »
Gik acoustics sells relatively inexpensive bass traps:

http://www.gikacoustics.com/

Since you're using a squeezebox, you might want to try the inguzEQ plugin to do digital equalization/room correction. It's free (for now, at least), and it works pretty well for me so far.

http://www.inguzaudio.com/

hope this helps,
t

John151

« Reply #7 on: 16 Oct 2006, 03:33 am »

I did try this by simply jamming a pair of large socks into each port. This pretty much neutered the speakers.  Is there a better method that would only partially block the port?

John151

« Reply #8 on: 16 Oct 2006, 03:35 am »
How close are they to the wall behind them?  Try pulling them 1-2 feet forward and see how the bass sounds.

The speakers are about 3' from the back wall, and I really can't pull them any more forward. 

gitarretyp

« Reply #9 on: 16 Oct 2006, 03:47 am »

I did try this by simply jamming a pair of large socks into each port. This pretty much neutered the speakers.  Is there a better method that would only partially block the port?

I had a similar problem with similar speakers (usher cp-6311). Try using a bundle of straws rather than socks. They should reduce the bass a bit without being so severe as the socks.

My solution was to plug the ports and run stereo subs crossed pretty high (until i sold the speakers, anyway).

srb

« Reply #10 on: 16 Oct 2006, 03:59 am »

Try a strip of 1/2" to 1" thick foam maybe 4" wide, and just long enough so that when you roll it into a tube, the ends just meet, and there is a small opening in the center.

This has worked like a charm for me on several speakers.

PaulHilgeman

« Reply #11 on: 24 Oct 2006, 02:09 pm »
John,

Having heard your system in your room, and reflecting on time spent working with similar woofers in similar cabinets, my guess is the box/port is tuned too high for your room. 

The two easiest ways to tune the systme lower are to either decrease the port diameter, or increase the port length, or some combination of both.

The easiest way to tune the system lower is the straw trick that someone mentioned.  First though, cut the straws to the length of the port (you should be able to easily measure by hooking a tape measure on the inside lip).  First put them all of the way in, by default the area that the straws take up will slightly lower the tuning frequency, but you can slide them in and out to alter the tuning frequency.  1/8 of an inch at a time will probably be adequite.  But based on what I heard in your room, the port should be 1/2 to 3/4" longer than it is, possibly more depending on your tastes.  This should hopefully give you a sound somewhere between sealed and vented, and slightly deeper bass.  When lengthening the port, I recomend moving the straws outward, away from the inside of the cabinet.  This way, you will not end up getting too close to anything inside of the cabinet like a wall or crossover components.  This will prevent any turbulence noises from happening during lower bass notes.

This should really help things quite a bit as the tuning of the Lorelis in your room really seemed to react with some room resonance.  Most ported speakers need to be 'tuned' to fit the room anyhow.

I still have your CD, I forgot to bring it when I came over the second time.

Have a good one John,

Paul Hilgeman

lazydays

« Reply #12 on: 25 Oct 2006, 05:40 pm »
I had a similar problem with a pair of Klipsch speakers in my son's bed room. I found some thick closed cell foam, and made plugs (with a smaller hole). To me the speakers actually sounded better.
gary