Pavane 12AT7-T

Pez

Pavane 12AT7-T
« on: 27 Nov 2010, 11:43 pm »
Just installed the Psvane 12at7-t's in my tube amps. Unlike most new out of box tubes these ones don't sound absolutely tinny, as a matter of fact they sound pretty damned relaxed. I expect some changes of course as time goes on, but right away they sound very nice. I have a set of mullards and a set of amperex 7062s which have been my reference for quite some time. Once they are broken in I will do a direct comparison. 

As far as the build quality they look pretty nice. Biggest thing you notice is that they have gold plating on the pins. They come in a gorgeous jewelry box, but be careful they are not taut in the foam and can fall out if you are careless enough to tip the box while open.

More later.
« Last Edit: 5 Dec 2010, 02:38 pm by Pez »

Pez

Re: Psvane 12AT7-T
« Reply #1 on: 28 Nov 2010, 07:00 pm »
Day 2 with these tubes about 8 hours on em. They are sounding even better. Surprising that they haven't started sounding bad. Usually signal tubes get nastier before they start sounding good. So far not the case here. Any way they are pretty good sounding still.
« Last Edit: 29 Nov 2010, 04:20 am by Pez »

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #2 on: 29 Nov 2010, 05:23 pm »
  So far so good. Curious to know how they fare against the Mullard and Amperex. I use them as well as Teles.

charles

Pez

« Reply #3 on: 4 Dec 2010, 04:40 am »
Ok so been listening now to the Vanes (that's right, I'm cutting out the Ps part because it pisses me off) for a few days. They have more than 60 hours on them by now, though I haven't been keeping track that closely. I'm starting to feel like one of those gushy magazine jerks, but there really isn't anything to say other than these are game changing. They have a degree of realism to them that is startling. Vocals are very localized and solid, instrumentation is so gorgeous it makes the hair on your arms stand up. There is absolutely nothing that these tubes don't improve top to bottom. I've only heard this sort of thing one other time and it was with the Treasures (which deserve quite a bit of credit themselves for what I'm hearing) I think the Vanes allow the Treasures to really shine at their fullest. Whereas the Amprex are good, but not on the same level of clarity of beauty as the Treasures, the Vanes allow them to really sing at their fullest ability.

That's pretty much it at this time. This is a completely different degree of improvement. One that is seldom enjoyed with the upgrade of an entire component, yet here it is in mere $100 tube roll.

saisunil

« Reply #4 on: 4 Dec 2010, 10:15 am »
nice to read about new stock beating the old stock ... for a change ...

thanks

iGrant

« Reply #5 on: 4 Dec 2010, 03:13 pm »
Ok so been listening now to the Vanes (that's right, I'm cutting out the Ps part because it pisses me off) for a few days. They have more than 60 hours on them by now, though I haven't been keeping track that closely. I'm starting to feel like one of those gushy magazine jerks, but there really isn't anything to say other than these are game changing. They have a degree of realism to them that is startling. Vocals are very localized and solid, instrumentation is so gorgeous it makes the hair on your arms stand up. There is absolutely nothing that these tubes don't improve top to bottom. I've only heard this sort of thing one other time and it was with the Treasures (which deserve quite a bit of credit themselves for what I'm hearing) I think the Vanes allow the Treasures to really shine at their fullest. Whereas the Amprex are good, but not on the same level of clarity of beauty as the Treasures, the Vanes allow them to really sing at their fullest ability.

That's pretty much it at this time. This is a completely different degree of improvement. One that is seldom enjoyed with the upgrade of an entire component, yet here it is in mere $100 tube roll.

Pavane, we tried to correct it, but everything had been made by the time we saw it and got over the wtf shock :) We had been focusing on the sonics, they were going to be released under the GF brand name initially but we didn't want 2nd tier products with our name on out there untested by us, like is happening with the Treasures. We had to pull our logo off of the Treasures too.

Glad you are enjoying the Pavanes, we are getting lots of similar feedback already, across the board in the line-up and guess what?, stay tuned, more is on the way :).

The Treasure team calls the Pavane it's reference series, I get this concept, easy to say, hard to implement but I think they have hit the nail on the head, they show what could be wrong with other tubes and therein lies their magic.

As always there is no best tube, there are great tubes and the wonderful thing about tubes is that a $20 tube just might the best one for you, happy rolling.

Cheers,
Ian

TomS

« Reply #6 on: 4 Dec 2010, 03:18 pm »
Is there a 12AU7 flavor as well?

Wayne1

« Reply #7 on: 4 Dec 2010, 04:15 pm »
Indeed there is, Tom.

I have a 12AU7-T in the EE MiniMax DAC I have here. It really does take the sound to a higher plane. I sent another one of the pair out of tour with the DAC.

I highly recommend the Pavane series. When I talked to Rachel, she indicated the introductory pricing was going to end this month. In January the 12A*7 series tubes will be going up to $100.00 a pair.

Here is a link Pavane Reference Series

usp1

« Reply #8 on: 4 Dec 2010, 05:19 pm »
Can you buy a single tube or does it have to be pairs?

Wayne1

« Reply #9 on: 4 Dec 2010, 05:20 pm »
The Pavane series is only sold in pairs.

Pez

« Reply #10 on: 5 Dec 2010, 12:53 am »
Rarely am I able to say something is an improvement in my system in every single factor imaginable. Sometimes it's an improvement in bass, or soundstage realism or perhaps cleaner top end. But with the Pavanes it's literally everything.

They boosts every aspect and I don't miss any of my inferior NOS tubes (which I would commonly trade in and out because neither were better in every respect than the other). Never thought I'd see the day when I referred to my 12AT7 Mullards I paid almost $250 for or my impossible to find Amprex 7062s as "inferior". Mind blowing. :duh:

Ericus Rex

« Reply #11 on: 5 Dec 2010, 01:20 pm »
This thread is making me want to sell all my NOS tubes and get some Vanes before the price goes up!

(Ian laughing sinister, evil laugh in background)

Wind Chaser

« Reply #12 on: 5 Dec 2010, 01:37 pm »
Rarely am I able to say something is an improvement in my system in every single factor imaginable. Sometimes it's an improvement in bass, or soundstage realism or perhaps cleaner top end. But with the Pavanes it's literally everything.

They boosts every aspect and I don't miss any of my inferior NOS tubes (which I would commonly trade in and out because neither were better in every respect than the other). Never thought I'd see the day when I referred to my 12AT7 Mullards I paid almost $250 for or my impossible to find Amprex 7062s as "inferior". Mind blowing. :duh:

This is good news as I have a pair of these on the way along with a pair Treasure 300B -Z Grade A and pair Treasure 6CA7-Z Grade A.

Wind Chaser

Re: Pavane 12AT7-T
« Reply #13 on: 5 Dec 2010, 03:41 pm »
Positive Feedback liked them too... (scroll about half way down)

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue52/awards.htm

Wind Chaser

« Reply #14 on: 5 Dec 2010, 03:44 pm »
A full review... and they ain't even broken in yet! :thumb:

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue51/shuguang.htm

Pez

« Reply #15 on: 5 Dec 2010, 03:56 pm »
his comparison of the pavanes being like going from CD to SACD is very apt. I use both formats in my system and rebook sounds as good as SACD did. And SACD is now an entirely new level of ease, detail, depth, and clarity.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #16 on: 5 Dec 2010, 04:48 pm »
Ian, any 5670's on the way?? :thumb:

rbyar

« Reply #17 on: 7 Dec 2010, 04:02 am »
Hi All,

I am trying to decide between the Pavane 12AX7 and the Genalax 12AX7(re-issue). Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

REB

Wind Chaser

« Reply #18 on: 7 Dec 2010, 04:15 am »
How do the Genalax reissues compare with the best NOS?  If they don't, then the answer is pretty obvious.

Pez

« Reply #19 on: 7 Dec 2010, 04:27 am »
While I haven't tried the Genelax 12XX7 anything I haven't really been all that impressed with 95% of what I have heard from new Genelax. I think their most "coveted" tubes tend to be the power tubes. The Kt66s (great) kt77s (blah) kt88s(just passable as a decent tube IMO). Any way I personally wouldn't bother with the Genelax signal tubes, but that's the beauty of tube rolling, maybe they're great. In my experience though the Pavanes ARE great.