DHT tubes for the Vinnie Rossi LIO preamp - looking for recommendations

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Wasn't sure how many tube heads frequent Vinnie's Circle, so I thought I would post here.

The LIO with the DHT module installed can use the following tube families:

2A3 / 45, 300B, PX4 / PX25, 101D / 205D, and SV811 / SV572

As of now, I have only heard the LIO with the stock EH 2A3 Gold-Grid tubes and with Svetlana SV811-10 tubes (thoriated tungsten filaments).  Out of those two, I preferred the SV811's.

I am a newbie when it comes to DHT tubes (all my time has been spent on 6922 and 6SN7 tubes) and I am looking for some guidance on where to spend my time and money.

What I want out of the tubes:

- Well balanced and no significant areas of weakness
- Holographic imaging and soundstage
- Well fleshed out vocals and mid-range, with texture and ambiance
- Strong and articulate bass
- Pulls me more into the music
- Needs to be quiet and not microphonic
- A realistic price tag - can/won't spend $1000+ on a pair of tubes - no matter how good they sound
- Can be NOS or current production

Where I could use some guidance:

Are there certain families that provide what I am looking for better than others? For example, 300B over 2A3?

Within a specific family, any recommendations?  For example, you must hear the EML 300B mesh plate or the psvane 300B

My system:

Speakers:  Vandersteen 5A's or Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Amps:  Atsah NC 1200 mono blocks
Preamp:  Vinnie Rossi LIO
DAC:  Vinnie Rossi LIO
Cables:  Morrow Audio, Kaplan Cable
Room treatment:  Lots from RealTraps and GIK

Room size is 21'10" x 12'10" x 8'

Let me know what other info I could provide.

Thanks in advance for your help and assistance.

George

BobRex

I hate to say it, bit I think that Vinnie is probably the only one who can make any serious recs at this time.  I'm comfortable with 2A3s, but I'm used to using them at output stages; I have no idea how they sound in front ends.  Since the number of DHT pre's is so limited, the experience pool is extremely shallow. 

So what made you prefer the 811s?  I'm waiting for my DHT, so I'm curious.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
I hate to say it, bit I think that Vinnie is probably the only one who can make any serious recs at this time.  I'm comfortable with 2A3s, but I'm used to using them at output stages; I have no idea how they sound in front ends.  Since the number of DHT pre's is so limited, the experience pool is extremely shallow. 

So what made you prefer the 811s?  I'm waiting for my DHT, so I'm curious.

Here is what I posted after our brief listening session.

We tried two different tubes:

The stock 2A3's that ship with the LIO DHT and a pair of SV811's that Vinnie used at Axpona.

While the 2A3 tubes were excellent and bested the Siemens CCa Grey Plates that I use in the AVC/tubestage LIO, the SV 811's could really rock and added some additional body and texture that fleshed things out.

I am hoping to have Vinnie over next week and hopefully he will be bringing some tubes with him.

I should also have a set of NOS National Union 45 tubes that I snagged off of eBay thanks to SFOX7076.

George

sfox7076

Glad to be of service.  It's really circuit dependent until you hit a high end level like Vinnie makes.  To me, if the circuit is top notch, the tubes are the only sound you will hear. I have not really enjoyed 2A3s as a preamp tube.  Output tube yes, but preamp with low current application is not really where they shine.  I do like the 45 and certain other tubes.  I am a huge fan of the 101D, but that tube is not easily obtained and is extremely unforgiving.