BCD - ?

1ZIP

BCD - ?
« on: 1 Mar 2016, 04:29 am »
Did I read somewhere in the various threads that Bryston is about to introduce a prototype BCD - X?  Or am I having a senior moment.

Mag

Re: BCD - ?
« Reply #1 on: 1 Mar 2016, 04:55 am »
You are correct, Sir!

March 18 at Montreal audio show if it's a go.

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #2 on: 1 Mar 2016, 03:52 pm »
: :drums: :guitar: :dance:

techguy0192

« Reply #3 on: 1 Mar 2016, 10:02 pm »
I'm really looking forward to seeing this product released.  Had I known that a new CD player would be released, I would not have purchased an Ayre CX-7e MP a few months ago.

I hope there will be a way to integrate this with the BDP devices.  I'm sure the BOT is great given the price point, but I would think a BCD directly connected to a BDP would make for a killer digital setup.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #4 on: 1 Mar 2016, 10:05 pm »
I'm really looking forward to seeing this product released.  Had I known that a new CD player would be released, I would not have purchased an Ayre CX-7e MP a few months ago.

I hope there will be a way to integrate this with the BDP devices.  I'm sure the BOT is great given the price point, but I would think a BCD directly connected to a BDP would make for a killer digital setup.

Hi Techguy

The new CD player will not connect to the BDP - it connects to your preamp.

james

techguy0192

« Reply #5 on: 1 Mar 2016, 10:50 pm »
Hi Techguy

The new CD player will not connect to the BDP - it connects to your preamp.

james

Understandable.  I can see how that would conflict with the BOT in the existing product line.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 1 Mar 2016, 11:00 pm »
Understandable.  I can see how that would conflict with the BOT in the existing product line.

No sorry I did not explain correctly -  I meant it is not possible to connect the new CD player to the BDP as the CD player does not have a USB out which is required for connection to a BDP.

james

1ZIP

« Reply #7 on: 1 Mar 2016, 11:03 pm »
Any sneak preview photos?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 1 Mar 2016, 11:11 pm »
Any sneak preview photos?

No sorry nothing yet - waiting for faceplates.

James

bummrush

« Reply #9 on: 1 Mar 2016, 11:55 pm »
Looking forward to it.Nice surprise, didn't see that coming at all.

SFOX

« Reply #10 on: 2 Mar 2016, 12:39 am »
james

does the player use the same drive as the BOT-1 or a drawer-type ?

steven

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 2 Mar 2016, 01:03 am »
james

does the player use the same drive as the BOT-1 or a drawer-type ?

steven

It's a drawer style - new Sony CD drive.

James

spinner

« Reply #12 on: 2 Mar 2016, 08:31 am »
  So happy to hear about the new player. I assume it will have the balanced output. :thumb:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 2 Mar 2016, 09:39 am »
  So happy to hear about the new player. I assume it will have the balanced output. :thumb:

Yes Balanced and Unbalanced outputs - I am crossing my fingers I can get a prototype for the Montreal show.

james

techguy0192

« Reply #14 on: 2 Mar 2016, 01:05 pm »
Any idea on the price point for this new player?

Thanks for releasing a new BCD. :thumb:

Marius

« Reply #15 on: 2 Mar 2016, 01:11 pm »
HI James,

Not having the BCD-x connect to the BDP must have been an explicite design decision on behalf of Bryston. Other than competition with the BOT, what could it be? I would really be interested as to why you would forgo on such a much desired and highly anticipated feature :scratch: , making the Combo of a BDP-BCD ( with the hard/software options of the BOT) a no-brainer.

Of course it exemplifies that a dedicated cd player can, and will, (or Bryston wouldn't build it), sound as good as the BOT, probably even better, and that combined with even better ease of handling ;)

Cheers,
Marius

No sorry I did not explain correctly -  I meant it is not possible to connect the new CD player to the BDP as the CD player does not have a USB out which is required for connection to a BDP.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #16 on: 2 Mar 2016, 01:47 pm »
HI James,

Not having the BCD-x connect to the BDP must have been an explicite design decision on behalf of Bryston. Other than competition with the BOT, what could it be? I would really be interested as to why you would forgo on such a much desired and highly anticipated feature :scratch: , making the Combo of a BDP-BCD ( with the hard/software options of the BOT) a no-brainer.

Of course it exemplifies that a dedicated cd player can, and will, (or Bryston wouldn't build it), sound as good as the BOT, probably even better, and that combined with even better ease of handling ;)

Cheers,
Marius

Hi marius

Yes I see the new CD player as really a specialized product and dedicated to the best CD playback available. I guess we could have looked at allowing it to connect to the BDP but that would mean extra circuitry and USB capability etc.

james

Marius

« Reply #17 on: 2 Mar 2016, 02:25 pm »
Thanks James,

I do hope you will reconsider for a BCD-x revision i...

It would really be the logic thing to do, and judging from our BCD-1's there's room enough for some extra circuitry. Introducing USB would of course open up the BCD-x as a DAC for usb-pluginnables (..) and making it serious competition for the BDA-3.

well,

Hope you'll keep taking overall system consistency and buyers convenience in perspective in your design decisions.

Cheers,
Marius

Hi marius

Yes I see the new CD player as really a specialized product and dedicated to the best CD playback available. I guess we could have looked at allowing it to connect to the BDP but that would mean extra circuitry and USB capability etc.

james

schmidtmike76

« Reply #18 on: 2 Mar 2016, 03:05 pm »
Sound quality purposes this cdp alone vs the (bdp-2 and bda-2). As most of the files being played in the bdp are ripped cd's. 

Daniel Datchev

« Reply #19 on: 2 Mar 2016, 04:01 pm »
I have three BCD-1, as Bryston announced they go for digital and hi-res formats and ceased production of CD players.