ROON - What exactly is it?

Servingthemusic.com

Re: ROON - What exactly is it?
« Reply #40 on: 13 Jan 2016, 04:49 am »
This is a curated view of music. Sounds like you want JRiver. God Bless you then.

No actually. All i need is MiniMserver and Linn Kazoo.  I don't need to be dazzled.

scirica

« Reply #41 on: 14 Jan 2016, 10:57 pm »
No actually. All i need is MiniMserver and Linn Kazoo.  I don't need to be dazzled.

Cool. I ran Minimserver with Kinsky and a couple of other controllers.  With my NAS (Synology D214+) it just didn't cut it. 

Servingthemusic.com

« Reply #42 on: 15 Jan 2016, 02:26 am »
Cool. I ran Minimserver with Kinsky and a couple of other controllers.  With my NAS (Synology D214+) it just didn't cut it.

Didn't cut it in what way?

yetis

« Reply #43 on: 15 Jan 2016, 03:03 am »
For what it's worth. Roon is effectively the next evolutionary step of Sooloos; the UI that Meridian purchased years back.  The people who developed Sooloos left Meridian - as the story goes - to allow the developers to  really grow the concept.  That is why Meridian endpoints and Sooloos hardware were the first to fully operate within the Roon environment.

scirica

« Reply #44 on: 15 Jan 2016, 04:02 am »
Didn't cut it in what way?

In my case the Minimserver could not handle format switching dsd/PCM/dsd. Songs on an album would skip. Sound quality was fine, but I need the server to play all tracks on an album or playlist. This could be system dependent, but the folks at PS Audio said they had multiple cases of this. To be fair, this may be a PS Audio Bridge II issue.

Servingthemusic.com

« Reply #45 on: 15 Jan 2016, 04:45 am »
In my case the Minimserver could not handle format switching dsd/PCM/dsd. Songs on an album would skip. Sound quality was fine, but I need the server to play all tracks on an album or playlist. This could be system dependent, but the folks at PS Audio said they had multiple cases of this. To be fair, this may be a PS Audio Bridge II issue.

Imteresting...i can say that in 5 years, with numerous streamers, in at least 4 seperate systems I have never had an issue...i can stream redbook to Quad DSD without a hitch.

scirica

« Reply #46 on: 15 Jan 2016, 04:49 pm »
Imteresting...i can say that in 5 years, with numerous streamers, in at least 4 seperate systems I have never had an issue...i can stream redbook to Quad DSD without a hitch.

I'm jealous...I wanted the PS Audio DS DAC via ethernet to be my goto DAC, but they need to work on that piece.  Water under the bridge now as I have my BDA-3 in place and the PS Audio (with Bridge II) will likely be up for sale soon.

Servingthemusic.com

« Reply #47 on: 15 Jan 2016, 06:18 pm »
I'm jealous...I wanted the PS Audio DS DAC via ethernet to be my goto DAC, but they need to work on that piece.  Water under the bridge now as I have my BDA-3 in place and the PS Audio (with Bridge II) will likely be up for sale soon.

I hear ya. There are certain quirks with networks that are tough to sort out. I have read, however, that PS Audio stuff does not always
get along with other gear. I understand there are big problems with the BDP-2 and the DirectStream DAC.

gdayton

• Industry Participant
« Reply #48 on: 24 Feb 2016, 09:00 pm »
Hi Folks, Gary from Bryston here. I want to shed some light on where we are with Roon Ready and why it was taken down. Here's a post from Rob at Roon and some additional info from me below:

As you guys have gleaned, yes, one of the clear bugs in the Bryston implementation at CES was an SQ difference between MPD and RAAT. This should not be and is one of the things to be worked out. As a point of contrast, the system running in the TAD demo has both MPD and RAAT. The Roon Ready implementation was chosen for the demos, with MPD as a backup. I am pretty sure that the folks at TAD would not have stood for anything but the best playback they could get for their main demo at CES, so this should be some kind of testimony. Again, this is exactly why we did not want an untested beta circulated. This is an unpleasant, confusing situation for the user community to have to confront and what we are trying to avoid with the Roon Ready program. --Rob

We did it this way because our developer, Chris, was not at CES and few users are on the beta track, but it is clear now that this was a mistake... It was pretty clear on the very first listen that there was something wrong and that this wasn't something to share, but unfortunately, some of you have used what is not at all up to the quality of what we expect our Roon Ready integration will be.

This firmware is nothing like what will ship and is clearly not representative of what Roon Ready can do as an audio delivery mechanism and Bryston did not intend for anyone to get the idea that we were officially Roon Ready at that point.

Sorry for the misunderstandings.

So, know that we're still working on it! Roon Ready certification requires a lot more than just accepting audio. We are impressed with what Roon is, does, and how it sounds on our hardware. That's why we were interested in partnering to begin with.
-Gary

Wim J

« Reply #49 on: 26 Feb 2016, 12:41 pm »
HI Folks

We have Roon setup at CES and it is a very slick interface. 

The real question for me is what people think of the sound because instead of using MPD to play your files (like in our BDP) you are using the Roon software. It will be interesting to see what our customers think.

james

I still use Roon on my BDP-1 (stopped keeping it up to date to keep Roon going) and I can hear no difference between MPD on uncompressed files. I have all my files in WAV or FLAC-uncompressed.
Once I start comparing lossless or compressed formats there is a difference in favor of MPD.
But I don't see any point in compressing music files. With very cheap storage prices it's really not done to compress music if you have sound quality in mind.
Roon saved my BDP-1 from becoming useless. MPD sounds very good, but the interface is  :?

gregcss

« Reply #50 on: 26 Feb 2016, 01:06 pm »
I, too, was wondering about roon. Thanks everyone for the discussion to help clear that up. I run Logitech Media Server (LMS) on a Synology NAS and use Orange Squeeze android app to control. Sounds like ROON would provide the LMS and controller app duties, however, cannot run on NAS yet. LMS is free and Orange Squeeze was $5 for a total lifetime cost of $5....roon is $120/year or $500 lifetime  :scratch: