ROON - What exactly is it?

Samurai7595

ROON - What exactly is it?
« on: 7 Jan 2016, 01:05 pm »
I'm not sure I really understand the whole ROON thing...

I'm currently using a Bryston BDP-2 digital player to stream my music (stored on a locally attached USB stick) to my Devialet 200 and running the MPaD control point on my iPad Mini.

What exactly is ROON & how does it tie in to the whole equation?

That is, is ROON a online streaming service like TIDAL or an app to organize someone's music collection or a control app or ...  :?

Sorry for the dumb question but someone please explain the whole ROON thing in plain English.

Wim J

Re: ROON - What exactly is it?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jan 2016, 02:11 pm »
The BDP's are conceptually not streamers, they are file players. At first the BDP was only able to play files from connected USB drives. Later, Bryston made it possible to stream to the BDP's and to connect the BDP to a NAS.

ROON is a program that organizes your music collection and controls playback to multiple zones. It integrates very well with Tidal.
I'm sold to Roon...  I hope that Bryston will integrate Roon into the BDP. With early Roon releases I could stream to my BDP activating the shairplay option. But recently I could not get it to work anymore on the BDP. So My BDP isn't used for the time being. ROON is what MPD should have been...

UPDATE: it seems Bryston has RAAT (Roon’s own protocol) already implemented i the most recent beta software.   :thumb:  Enjoying my BDP-1 again !  :D
« Last Edit: 7 Jan 2016, 04:26 pm by Wim J »

scirica

« Reply #2 on: 7 Jan 2016, 03:37 pm »
Roon is a subscription service that runs on your computer (on your network) that supplies a great GUI, metadata, and curated information. Really is a game changer when compared to products like JRiver (although an excellent player).  The integrational with Tidal expands your library to being almost limitless.  A free trial is offered I believe. You should try it.

In the last release, they now have a Roon Server app that runs in the background on your main pc, then you control via their very nice iPad app.  Does require a new iPad however. I picked up an new Mini 4.

mav52

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jan 2016, 04:12 pm »
Roon is a subscription service that runs on your computer (on your network) that supplies a great GUI, metadata, and curated information. Really is a game changer when compared to products like JRiver (although an excellent player).  The integrational with Tidal expands your library to being almost limitless.  A free trial is offered I believe. You should try it.

In the last release, they now have a Roon Server app that runs in the background on your main pc, then you control via their very nice iPad app.  Does require a new iPad however. I picked up an new Mini 4.

So no JRiver required,

scirica

« Reply #4 on: 7 Jan 2016, 04:18 pm »
So no JRiver required,

Correct!  As a matter of fact, just like JRiver would, you would want Roon to have exclusive use of your pc audio, so you would make sure JRiver is closed (you can keep it installed - I still use it from time to time).

SC

schw06

« Reply #5 on: 7 Jan 2016, 04:20 pm »
My question is how it compares sonically to Amarra, Audirvana, Pure Music etc...? The interface looks amazing but I haven't heard how it stacks up to the other audio engines.
David

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #6 on: 7 Jan 2016, 04:57 pm »
Another question: can it be used solely to control the bdp (instead of the integrated web interface), or does it require a copy also be running on your computer as well?

zoom25

« Reply #7 on: 7 Jan 2016, 05:40 pm »
My question is how it compares sonically to Amarra, Audirvana, Pure Music etc...? The interface looks amazing but I haven't heard how it stacks up to the other audio engines.
David

On my Macbook Pro I have compared Roon to Audirvana Plus. Audirvana Plus definitely edged out Roon sonically. I also prefer Audirvana over Amarra nowadays. Although, the BDP-1 beats them all.

scirica

« Reply #8 on: 7 Jan 2016, 09:13 pm »
David

I'm a pc music server guy, which may not be relevant to your question, but I give JRiver v21 a slight edge over Roon in sound quality as well.  It's close though and I'm using Roon about 80%, JRiver about 20% of the time these days.

kenreau

« Reply #9 on: 7 Jan 2016, 09:25 pm »
Another thing to be mindful of is roon still (currently) requires a computer be involved.  That's currently a deal killer for me.  I do not want a noisy computer in my audio system.  When they can be morphed on to a streamer (ie Aurender, Auralic, et al) I'm interested.  Reportedly this is in the works (roonspeaker, or something?) and anticipated out in 2016.  Check out the CES coverage going on now for the latest info.

Kenreau

scirica

« Reply #10 on: 7 Jan 2016, 10:05 pm »
Another thing to be mindful of is roon still (currently) requires a computer be involved.  That's currently a deal killer for me.  I do not want a noisy computer in my audio system.  When they can be morphed on to a streamer (ie Aurender, Auralic, et al) I'm interested.  Reportedly this is in the works (roonspeaker, or something?) and anticipated out in 2016.  Check out the CES coverage going on now for the latest info.

Kenreau

Yep, RoonSpeaker on the way!  Although my purpose built server is super quiet, and with roon running as a server app only it's very clean.  But you are not alone in wanting no computer in your audio system. I tried running minimserver on my NAS and eliminating the computer from my system, but was unhappy with minimserver's performance.

gustavog

« Reply #11 on: 7 Jan 2016, 10:10 pm »
Can Roon be used to operate a BDP-1, as opposed to stream to a BDP-1?

Marius

« Reply #12 on: 8 Jan 2016, 08:19 am »
Hi,

What i don't grasp yet, is why we would pay Roon's rather steep price, for replacing MM in the first place.

The BDP's raison d'etre (providing the best conceivable music player hardware) takes out the need for that Roon functionality. The interface to ones library would be the other main feature (though the lack of screenshots on Roon Labs website isn't providing the best sneak peek into that) and could indeed be a reason to look beyond MM. Then again, there are others services around doing just so for quit a bit less. Plex for starters still amazes in this functionality and extremely good looks. Being developed in a way reminiscent to Bryston/Chris continiously building and expanding MM.

Haven't signed up for the 2 weeks trial yet because of the above (dislike to have to enter my CC credentials before being able to testdrive too..). Maybe im missing Roons point. In that case please help me in a better understanding of it. Roon's own forum doesn't really help it's case. Reading the discussion on sound quality (first priority by all means) in comparison to say Audirvana (superior and cheaper, crappy interface..) is quite clear.

Cheers,
Marius
« Last Edit: 8 Jan 2016, 11:30 am by Marius »

firedog

« Reply #13 on: 8 Jan 2016, 12:53 pm »
Hi,

What i don't grasp yet, is why we would pay Roon's rather steep price, for replacing MM in the first place.

The BDP's raison d'etre (providing the best conceivable music player hardware) takes out the need for that Roon functionality. The interface to ones library would be the other main feature (though the lack of screenshots on Roon Labs website isn't providing the best sneak peek into that) and could indeed be a reason to look beyond MM. Then again, there are others services around doing just so for quit a bit less. Plex for starters still amazes in this functionality and extremely good looks. Being developed in a way reminiscent to Bryston/Chris continiously building and expanding MM.

Haven't signed up for the 2 weeks trial yet because of the above (dislike to have to enter my CC credentials before being able to testdrive too..). Maybe im missing Roons point. In that case please help me in a better understanding of it. Roon's own forum doesn't really help it's case. Reading the discussion on sound quality (first priority by all means) in comparison to say Audirvana (superior and cheaper, crappy interface..) is quite clear.

Cheers,
Marius

You are missing the point, but that's okay. It's not for everyone.

Roon, IMO, is the best UI for music playback and music library management. Puts a wealth of online information at your fingertips about each album, tags, organizes, and integrates Tidal seamlessly into your music library. They've just added integration with Squeezebox systems and HQPlayer.

I think the discussions about it not having high-end audio quality are BS.

In any case, many think that HQPlayer is THE software for best sound, so that also takes care of that.  Good hardware doesn't in anyway "take out" the need for Roon. Roon is UI and playback software, so it isn't competing with HW.

If you don't value what Roon brings to the table, I can't argue with you. It does cost $, and that puts some people off.

firedog

« Reply #14 on: 8 Jan 2016, 12:58 pm »

Kenreau

The first devices with RoonSpeaker installed are already on the market. See the Sonore Sonic Orbiter SE. http://www.rendu.sonore.us/Sonicorbiter.html

Aurender and Auralic and others have just shown products with Roon at CES. Many more on the way. I think you are going to find a Roon option on servers and streamers as an almost ubiquitous item in the coming year.

Marius

« Reply #15 on: 8 Jan 2016, 01:39 pm »
Seems i'm not missing the point at all ;) It's UI. Apparently a very nice one. (they won't let me see, without providing my CC).

Its also plays back software. What im trying to figure out is if the BDP would sound differently, maybe even better, using Roon. Wouldn't understand why it would, but hey, wouldn't hurt to try. Then again, as you say, it isn't competing with hardware. At least not when configured to interface to a Roon endpoint, the BDP in this case. (of course this all changes when used on a regular computer, it then  would need to compare to Audirvana and the likes) Not going into that here.

To cut it short: Roon on the BDP would only serve as a better interface to the BDP hardware and BDP determined SoundQuality?

Thanks Marius

You are missing the point, but that's okay. It's not for everyone.

Roon, IMO, is the best UI for music playback and music library management. Puts a wealth of online information at your fingertips about each album, tags, organizes, and integrates Tidal seamlessly into your music library. They've just added integration with Squeezebox systems and HQPlayer.

I think the discussions about it not having high-end audio quality are BS.

In any case, many think that HQPlayer is THE software for best sound, so that also takes care of that.  Good hardware doesn't in anyway "take out" the need for Roon. Roon is UI and playback software, so it isn't competing with HW.

If you don't value what Roon brings to the table, I can't argue with you. It does cost $, and that puts some people off.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #16 on: 8 Jan 2016, 01:40 pm »
HI Folks

We have Roon setup at CES and it is a very slick interface. 

The real question for me is what people think of the sound because instead of using MPD to play your files (like in our BDP) you are using the Roon software. It will be interesting to see what our customers think.

james

Marius

« Reply #17 on: 8 Jan 2016, 01:49 pm »
HI James,

Thank you. Great experiment! Great of you to set that up on Ces. Talking about exposing yourself to the public as a company stimulating and living open innovation  :thumb:

Roon replacing MPD is a totally different approach of course than Roon interfacing to the BDP, using MPD.
I do share your question about the SQ. Still, hope you will keep MPD and invest development time in the MPD-part of the BDP.

Cheers,
Marius

HI Folks

We have Roon setup at CES and it is a very slick interface. 

The real question for me is what people think of the sound because instead of using MPD to play your files (like in our BDP) you are using the Roon software. It will be interesting to see what our customers think.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #18 on: 8 Jan 2016, 01:55 pm »
HI James,

Thank you. Great experiment! Great of you to set that up on Ces. Talking about exposing yourself to the public as a company stimulating and living open innovation  :thumb:

Roon replacing MPD is a totally different approach of course than Roon interfacing to the BDP, using MPD.
I do share your question about the SQ. Still, hope you will keep MPD and invest development time in the MPD-part of the BDP.

Cheers,
Marius

Hi Marius

MPD is definitely not going away when it comes to the BDP.

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #19 on: 8 Jan 2016, 05:32 pm »
Hi!

Okay, I am a bit lost here. Is Roon now being implemented into BDP software as an alternative to MPD?

One other thing - is Bryston planning on integrating a parametric EQ system into the BDP?

Cheers!
Antun