Outstanding Demo CD's etc...

fishinbob

Re: Outstanding Demo CD's etc...
« Reply #1260 on: 4 Nov 2013, 10:56 pm »
It's been a few years but I recall Nuance looking for piano music that would make you cry or words to that effect.

I recently purchased this one looking for another rendition of Schubert's Impromptu no 3. and it comes as close to sounding as though it's actually in my room of any of the solo piano recording I have. Highly recommended.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000L43QNS/?tag=sacdinfocom-20

robcentola

« Reply #1261 on: 5 Nov 2013, 05:06 pm »
This is great! I love finding new music. Great taste everyone! Learning so much!

metier

« Reply #1262 on: 6 Nov 2013, 03:03 am »
This is great! I love finding new music. Great taste everyone! Learning so much!

Here is a good thread to find new music
link

grantc79

« Reply #1263 on: 26 Dec 2013, 04:20 pm »
ballake sissoko has an album called At Peace.

First track Maimouna is amazing.

Here's a youtube crappy sq version http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWjI7ZDW7uw

drew8mc

• Lineal Inc.
« Reply #1264 on: 31 Dec 2013, 07:11 pm »
I haven't been to this Circle in a long while, but this thread is so good I had to contribute my loves.  Looking through my collection, here are some recommendations by genre.  I haven't read through the entire thread, so if I've repeated some, sorry about that.  These are just albums I love.  I'm an album guy, and typically listen to entire albums at a time.  If, however, there is a specific track I tend to favor, I've noted it.  Artist is listed first, then album title.  My musical taste is a bit eclectic, so I've tried to pick out some music that perhaps people have not heard, or even heard of.  Sound quality is generally quite excellent, but the well known audiophile discs already listed will undoubtedly sound better than most of what I've listed.  I'm just trying to add some interesting choices for those curious enough to look them up. 

Rock, alternative and country:
1. The Civil Wars, The Civil Wars
2. Jack Johnson, Brushfire Fairytales
3. Kings of Convenience, Declaration of Dependence- but I love all their albums
4. Erin McKeown- Grand- Track 12: James
5. Gillian Welch- The Harrow and the Harvest
6. Kim Richey- Thorn in My Heart
7. Beck- Sea Change
8. David Byrne and St. Vincent, Love This Giant

World Music:
1. Dead Can Dance, Into the Labyrinth, Spirit Chaser, and Anastasis are all great... with amazing sound quality
2. Ayub Ogada- En Mana Kuoyo- Track 9- Kothbiro
3. Bebo and Cigala, Lagrimas Negras
4. Caetano Veloso and David Byrne, Live at Carnegie Hall
5. Celso Fonseca and Ronaldo Bastos, Juventude/ Slow Motion Bossa Nova
6. Daboa, From the Gekko
7. Kodo, Mondo Head
8. Juan Martin, El Alqemista (The Alchemist)
9. Roberto Fonseca, Zamazu
10. Renaud Garcia-Fons, Entremundo
11. Seu Jorge and Almaz, Seu Jorge and Almaz
12. Vassilis Tsabropoulos, Melos

Blues:
1. Muddy Waters, Folk Singer
2. Keb' Mo', Just Like You
3. Buddy Guy, Blues Singer
4. John Lee Hooker, Jealous

Electronic, World Beats, etc.
1. Tosca, Dehli 9
2. Koop, Waltz for Koop
3. Mercan Dede, Nefes
4. Suba, Sao Paulo Confessions
5. Thievery Corporation, The Richest Man in Babylon

Jazz:
1. Gregory Porter, Liquid Spirit
2. Leon Parker, Awakening
3. Don Byron, Bug Music
4. Oscar Brown Jr., Sin and Soul
5. Count Basie, 88 Basie St.
6. Jamie Cullum, The Pursuit

Classical:
1. Arvo Part, Miserere- ECM release
2. Nigel Kennedy and Lynn Harrell, Duos for Violin and Cello
3. Osvaldo Golijov, La Pasion Segun San Marcos
4. Zbigniew Priesner, Requiem for my Friend
5. Kroumata Percussion Ensemble, Garbage Concerto- Rock Symphony- BIS release, available at HD Tracks
6. Henry Purcell and George Crumb, Apparition, Performed by Christine Schafer and Eric Schneider

There are, of course, tons of albums I love which don't sound stupendous, but I'll leave that for another thread.  Actually, that would be an interesting thread; Outstanding Music, Bad Sound.
Happy Hunting.  If any of you do not use Spotify on your computer, I recommend it.  It's a free streaming program that allows you to listen to any music they have (you'll be able to find most rock and jazz listed, world and classical is hit and miss).  You can listen to entire albums, radio, playlists, etc.  I use it to audition new music I may want to purchase, and for those great one hit wonders that you don't really want the whole album. 

Cheers,
Drew

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #1265 on: 14 Feb 2014, 03:17 pm »
Thanks for all the new recommendations and I am glad you found this  thread, it has over the past few years allowed me
to enlarge my music collection and has made me smile many times!!

All the best
Alex

drumike

« Reply #1266 on: 15 Feb 2014, 12:30 am »
Newcomer with Salk SCST's for about a month now and I'm really enjoying rediscovering my CD collection.
Some of these may have already been mentioned but I hope some will be new and enjoyable. Most of these are fairly old .
1. Rhythm, Country and Blues - MCA - Duet Compilations by various artists. My favorite - Rainy Night in Georgia by Sam Moore and Conway Twitty
2. Robert Cray - Shame + a Sin. He brings it on every cut.
3. Radio Tarifa - Rumba Argelina - Spanish meets Moorish, meets contemporary African, meets European medieval. Nice rhythms, percussion and vocals.
4. Africa - - John Santos - Afro Latin Jazz Cuban Rumba & West African Chants - Some great Latin Musicians. Hear a Conch Shell played with style on Medicine Man.
5. Luis Conte - Cuban Dreams - In particular Drume Negrita , a sweet sounding Afro-Cuban Lullaby with ocean waves as back round. Nice Conga as well.

Just some of what I'm really enjoying. I play Congas (for fun) and love the latin instrumentation that I'm hearing in a whole new way with the Salks.
Thank you, Jim and all contributors to this wonderful circle.
 If anybody enjoys this type of stuff I have plenty more.
Mike

charmerci

« Reply #1267 on: 15 Feb 2014, 04:40 pm »
Just a reminder - p. 57 has a summary list.

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
« Reply #1268 on: 19 Apr 2014, 06:32 pm »
Hey guys,

I got this Linda Ronstadt album when it was released and I wanted to recommend it to my Salk friends:

It has some nice songs and they are very nicely recorded.

smokey

« Reply #1269 on: 24 Apr 2014, 02:45 pm »
 :D Has anyone listen to any of  MAPLESHADE CD:s all of their sound staging is great,I like JAZZ they have a lot of go listening,
      my SS8 jump to,  BOOGEYIN! SWAMPROCK, SALSA & TRANE by A LA CARTE BRASS & PERCUSSION ,   They really let the SS8:s
    show off what they can do   :thumb:

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #1270 on: 7 May 2014, 09:42 pm »
Hello,

Yes Mapleshade has been mentioned several times in the thread.

http://www.amazon.com/Round-Midnight-Linda-Ronstadt/dp/B000002H3S

If you like Linda Ronstadt her double CD with Nelson Riddle Orchestra.....released back in 1990 I think....its a wonderful set of songs from the big band time....and many of the cuts are just superb.

Round Midnight is my favorite.

Enjoy!

Alex

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #1271 on: 8 May 2014, 02:50 am »
Hello,
If you like Linda Ronstadt her double CD with Nelson Riddle Orchestra.....released back in 1990 I think....its a wonderful set of songs from the big band time....and many of the cuts are just superb.

You are sooooo right!

Mudslide

« Reply #1272 on: 20 May 2014, 02:37 am »
Hi all.  Great thread and I just (re)discovered it.  I'm sorry if my request has been addressed before but I don't have the time to read the hundreds of posts.

I'm looking for suggestions for a disc/band that primarily features piano and acoustic (or sweet electric) guitar.  All genres are acceptable.  TIA.

strat95

« Reply #1273 on: 20 May 2014, 04:31 am »
Hi all.  Great thread and I just (re)discovered it.  I'm sorry if my request has been addressed before but I don't have the time to read the hundreds of posts.

I'm looking for suggestions for a disc/band that primarily features piano and acoustic (or sweet electric) guitar.  All genres are acceptable.  TIA.

When I read your post the first thought that came to mind was Pat Metheny and Brad Mehldau, the album was called Metheny Mehldau.

Mudslide

« Reply #1274 on: 20 May 2014, 01:39 pm »
When I read your post the first thought that came to mind was Pat Metheny and Brad Mehldau, the album was called Metheny Mehldau.

Thanks, Strat.  I just checked it out, and it's quite good.  The song, Make Peace, is almost perfect for what I'm looking for.  I guess I want the music to feature the guitar over the piano in most cases.  It is generally the opposite on Metheny Mehldau.  But it's good stuff, nevertheless.  I'm going to download some of it.   :thumb:

jaw5279

« Reply #1275 on: 20 May 2014, 09:07 pm »

You may want to give some of the earlier Cat Stevens a try.  "Tea for the Tillerman" and "Teaser and the FireCat" come to mind.

strat95

« Reply #1276 on: 21 May 2014, 12:10 am »
Thanks, Strat.  I just checked it out, and it's quite good.  The song, Make Peace, is almost perfect for what I'm looking for.  I guess I want the music to feature the guitar over the piano in most cases.  It is generally the opposite on Metheny Mehldau.  But it's good stuff, nevertheless.  I'm going to download some of it.   :thumb:

Glad you like it Mudslide.  I enjoy Make Peace very much and although they don't fit your criteria because of drums, Ring Of Life (track 4) and Say the Brother's Name (track 7) are quite good too.  I do see what you are saying though that the guitar is not the 'feature' instrument on many of the other tracks.

Mudslide

« Reply #1277 on: 21 May 2014, 04:38 am »
You may want to give some of the earlier Cat Stevens a try.  "Tea for the Tillerman" and "Teaser and the FireCat" come to mind.

Thanks, Jaw.  I'm not interested in vocals.  I would like instrumentals only (or mostly). 

Mud

jaw5279

« Reply #1278 on: 23 May 2014, 08:16 pm »
Thanks, Jaw.  I'm not interested in vocals.  I would like instrumentals only (or mostly). 

Mud

Ahh.  If that is the case, I would recommend Leo Kotke's 6 & 12 String Guitar (the one with the armadillo on the cover) or something by the California Guitar Trio. 

John.
« Last Edit: 31 May 2014, 01:41 pm by jaw5279 »

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
« Reply #1279 on: 16 Mar 2015, 04:58 pm »
This was my album of the year(2014):

This album has excellent bass and the guitars sound marvelous 8)! This made my Salk speakers come alive like being in the recording studio.