tweeter static, any ideas

noshortcuts

tweeter static, any ideas
« on: 5 Apr 2008, 05:43 am »
Hi all,

I have a new and wonderful system with one problem: tweeter static on my SongTowers and SongCenter.

I think it must be the new Sunfire TGA-7400 amplifier causing the static. Where it drives me crazy is with CD/SACD material that has quieter passages in the music and the static becomes pronounced and then I start focusing on hearing it. Today it really ruined listening to my new Miles Davis (Kind Of Blue) SACD. With other sources (TV/Cable and Radio) I don't usually notice the static unless I put my ear to the speaker to confirm that it is there. It is, and seems about as bad. The static remains even when I turn off the pre-amp.

Volume level does not seem to make a big difference. If the volume is down, there is still static. If the volume is up, the music often masks the static unless it is a quieter passage or I am less than 5 feet from the speaker.

I have used an extension cord to attach the amplifier to independent outlets and the problem remained.

Any of you wise Salk owners have an idea what the problem or solution is?

martyo

Re: tweeter static, any ideas
« Reply #1 on: 5 Apr 2008, 11:06 am »
I would think the chances are slim that all 3 tweeters would malfunction in the same way. I would check the cabling and if that isn't the issue, one by one, swap out each component to isolate the problem.

Or: party tonite a noshortcuts, have your buddies each bring a piece of gear and..........

jd3

« Reply #2 on: 5 Apr 2008, 11:32 am »
The static remains even when I turn off the pre-amp.

I would think the problem is the amplifier, the speaker connections, AC or ground if that's the case.  

jermmd

« Reply #3 on: 5 Apr 2008, 11:53 am »
I also doubt that more than one tweeter could have a problem. I'm thinking ground loop is the most likely problem-and the easiest to fix. Make sure everything is plugged into the same outlet and play with the cables and interconnects until you identify the culprit.

noshortcuts

« Reply #4 on: 5 Apr 2008, 02:39 pm »
thanks for all the replies.

Just to note, I have the whole system (including tv cable) connected through a Belkin PureAV PF30L conditioner. I have checked and only one component had a three prong outlet (dvd). I put a 2-prong on it to see if that caused an extra ground. No help.

I've emailed Sunfire to see how they respond.

I'll try the other ideas here such as removing the cable, double checking cables, and removing components.

I'll let you know. Thanks.

Toka

« Reply #5 on: 5 Apr 2008, 03:10 pm »
Do any of your interconnects run parallel to any power cords? If so, try crossing them at a 90 degree angle (or keeping them as far apart as possible if you can't do that).

noshortcuts

« Reply #6 on: 5 Apr 2008, 03:31 pm »
OK, no luck disconnecting components. Started with cable and went down the line.

Also, I put the pre-amp on "Tape" and the static is still there even with no source. I checked the volume and the static does change with volume. It does not go away at -60db, but is much more pronounced at 0db. That must be part of the reason I most often notice it interfering with the music when the volume is up but the music passage is on the quiet side.

Now I'll take a look at Toka's idea. However, since I've already tried disconnecting all the power except the amp and have also tried running the amp to another outlet, I don't have much hope.

At least I'll be able to tell Sunfire how well I've narrowed down the issue.

yooper

« Reply #7 on: 5 Apr 2008, 03:37 pm »
Might be a long shot, but it is worth mentioning..... I have a wireless network and the hub is within my listening room.  I found the network was causing a similar noise through the speakers like you are experiencing.  When surfing the net or downloading, the noise would become a bit louder.  However, since acquiring a new pre, the noise is gone.

Edit- I should have mentioned, when I disconnected the network the noise went away, so I knew in my situation this was the cause.  I moved the router and things improved.  Sometimes no noise, and at other times noise.

Worth a shot anyway.

Mark
« Last Edit: 6 Apr 2008, 01:20 am by yooper »

markC

« Reply #8 on: 5 Apr 2008, 03:41 pm »
Try disconnecting everything except the amp and speaker cables, (all ic's). If the noise still persists with only the amp on and speaker cables connected, it's got to be the amp.

rcarlton

• Mr. Waddles listening to the K-horns.
    • Ron Carlton's webpage
« Reply #9 on: 6 Apr 2008, 12:07 am »
I had a laser pickup on my CD player do the same thing. Cost $26.25 to fix it. :thumb:

reflex

• Look & Listen Mobile, Alabama
« Reply #10 on: 6 Apr 2008, 01:27 am »
Without hearing it myself, it sounds like a bad transistor.

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #11 on: 6 Apr 2008, 02:24 pm »
OK, first I need to know what you mean by static.

Hiss?  Crackle?  Buzz?

Continious or intermittant?

In time with the music or random?

As an earlier post suggested, first turn off system, disconnect everything except the power amp and speakers.  Turn on amp again.  Problem still there?  If so, originating in the amplifers.  If not, then ahead of amplifiers or possibly speaker issue.

Get back to me at 651-330-9871 and I can walk you through finding the problem.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

noshortcuts

« Reply #12 on: 6 Apr 2008, 02:58 pm »
OK, first I need to know what you mean by static.

Hiss?  Crackle?  Buzz?

Continious or intermittant?

In time with the music or random?

As an earlier post suggested, first turn off system, disconnect everything except the power amp and speakers.  Turn on amp again.  Problem still there?  If so, originating in the amplifers.  If not, then ahead of amplifiers or possibly speaker issue........

Of the three, I would say "hiss". Not so sure what the difference between hiss and buzz would be.

Only in tweeters. Continuous (not random or impacted by music, but by volume).

I need to wait for a day to take the system out and do the amp/speaker only test. I also need to make sure it's not due to the Pre being on top of the amp. It's that way for space issues and because the heavy amp runs cool and pre has room on top. But now I see the Sunfire manual lists this a potential cause of noise.

Do you think it could be the Pre on top causing it???

I'll let you know if I have questions when I pull it out and test.

Thank you!

noshortcuts

« Reply #13 on: 14 Apr 2008, 02:22 pm »
With all inputs disconnected and all components unplugged, I still get some hiss from amp to tweeters.
I may try running different speakers and/or running a different receiver/amp for one last check before sending in the Sunfire for RMA.

noshortcuts

« Reply #14 on: 16 Apr 2008, 01:09 am »
Ok, my semi-final conclusion:

It's not the amp, but the house has dirty power.

Before coming to this conclusion, I talked with Frank Van Alstine to get his ideas to further nail down the cause of noise in my system. Thanks Frank for your time and ideas! Besides providing more ideas of ways to test the system, he also confirmed that given the noise numbers that Sunfire gives (-118 db) and the rated efficiency of the SongTowers (88db), my system should be dead quiet. In the midst of final experiments, I took an old Sony receiver out of storage and plugged it in. It also created the same noise on the SongTowers (and other speakers). I have also tried different circuits in the house. Thus, my conclusion is that I need to call an electrician next.

From all the ideas provided here and from my own research, I am amazed how many ways noise can manifest in a system. It's a wonder that quiet systems exist.