A shocking problem

charmerci

A shocking problem
« on: 17 Dec 2015, 08:55 pm »
Here's the set-up.

A laptop running JRiver > external DAC > pre-amp > amp > speakers.

I'm listening to music. I want to change the volume, touch the metal preamp, a tiny electrostatic shock. No music.

I have to close down JRiver. Then start it up again. Everything is fine. Repeat as necessary. I sometimes touch it without any shock, music keeps playing.

Wassup? What can I do?

Right now, after I stop walking, I touch a piece of metal before touching the preamp. I live in the desert and it's dry here.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Re: A shocking problem
« Reply #1 on: 17 Dec 2015, 09:17 pm »
I wonder if your preamp's chassis is properly grounded? Maybe it's worth a try to ground it by attaching a wire from the chassis to a ground in your power distribution system. You could use a screw in your chassis and an AC plug but only using the ground prong... if you don't have a spare AC plug you can get an inexpensive one from any hardware store.

RDavidson

« Reply #2 on: 17 Dec 2015, 09:34 pm »
I had the same issue with some gear in the past. In the winter, when the air is dry, a static shock (from me touching the volume knob or switches on my DAC) would cause the microprocessor(s) to glitch. Same as you do, I'd have to turn off the DAC or preamp (which ever I shocked) and turn it back on to clear it.
You're doing the right thing. Just try to remember to touch something metal to drain your static charge before touching your gear.
Another thing that could help is to run a humidifier for awhile.......or wear rubber gloves. :lol:

Folsom

« Reply #3 on: 17 Dec 2015, 09:37 pm »
Touch something else metal first, like the rack it's on or whatever.

Davey

« Reply #4 on: 17 Dec 2015, 09:52 pm »
The type of shoes you wear can have a big effect on this.  It's not a bad idea to wear just your socks when the air is dry like this in the winter.  You stay grounded much better and won't build nearly as much static charge on your listening apparatus when you're moving around.

Dave.

charmerci

« Reply #5 on: 17 Dec 2015, 10:21 pm »
The type of shoes you wear can have a big effect on this.  It's not a bad idea to wear just your socks when the air is dry like this in the winter.  You stay grounded much better and won't build nearly as much static charge on your listening apparatus when you're moving around.

Dave.

Yeah, it's usually after I get up off my seat and walk across the floor in my slippers. Floor's too cold to walk across in bare feet for the winter.

Looks like I'll just have to keep a metal object handy nearby - or I just thought these (RDavidson - thanks!)

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #6 on: 17 Dec 2015, 10:35 pm »
You don't have a kid brother you can discharge the shock into?  The nose seems to work best.

richidoo

« Reply #7 on: 17 Dec 2015, 10:45 pm »
Does the preamp have a 3 prong power plug? Is the earth wire from the power inlet connected to the chassis? Is the volume control screwed to the chassis without insulating washers, etc. A multimeter set to 'Ohms' can help you make sure the volume knob or at least the front panel of the preamp is grounded to the IEC earth pin.

Chris Adams

« Reply #8 on: 17 Dec 2015, 11:33 pm »
I agree with Davey.  I take my slippers off when I enter my music room and no problem.  Leave the slippers on and zap! :o  Of course if your not into socks . . .

avta

« Reply #9 on: 17 Dec 2015, 11:57 pm »
you might try some anti static spray. It's easy to find in big box stores. you spray it on your carpet. It will reduce static although you may have to repeat the application. Another trick I've heard about but haven't tried is to rub a fabric softener sheet on your carpet to reduce static electricity.

RDavidson

« Reply #10 on: 18 Dec 2015, 01:21 am »
That reminds me. A few months ago, someone here posted having success with static issues by placing a fabric softener sheet under their gear ; I think it may have been a turntable? :scratch: Maybe worth a try.
« Last Edit: 18 Dec 2015, 02:44 pm by RDavidson »

sunnydaze

« Reply #11 on: 18 Dec 2015, 01:42 am »
Dryer sheets don't work for me.   Very simple solution,  no need to get fancy.   

(1) As mentioned earlier,  get a 3 prong plug,  dirt cheap at any hardware store. 

(2)  attach any ol crappy piece of zip cord to ground prong only,  do nothing to blades.

(3)  strip inch or two of insulation off other end

(4)  plug into wall,  run wire to rack,  tape to shelf at accessible  location

(5)  touch bare wire end BEFORE  touching any of your gear. 

You are now discharged.  Guaranteed to work,  without fail.   This is exactly what i do in my rig.

Keep your slippers on.     :thumb:

*Scotty*

« Reply #12 on: 18 Dec 2015, 02:59 am »
This is exactly the approach I use, although it helps to hang on for longer than a couple of seconds however.
Scotty

Davey

« Reply #13 on: 18 Dec 2015, 03:16 am »
That would work, but I can guarantee you'd forget to perform Step 5 occasionally.  :)

Manual discharging is fine, but a better approach is not to build a charge on yourself in the first place.  :)

Dave.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #14 on: 18 Dec 2015, 03:24 am »
Does touching the wire still make a huge finger-arc?

We have a lot of extremely low humidity days here, and I've learned to turn the back of my hand to the lower left corner of my amp before I touch my Pre or SBT. Simply sitting on, and getting up from, my listening spot generates mass static; footwear of any kind (or none) makes no difference. A 'zap-free' solution would be cool.

sunnydaze

« Reply #15 on: 18 Dec 2015, 03:41 am »
No,  you don't feel a thing.   What I posted above is a solution that works.   Guaranteed.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #16 on: 18 Dec 2015, 03:43 am »
No,  you don't feel a thing.

Awesome; thanks!!  :thumb:

sunnydaze

« Reply #17 on: 18 Dec 2015, 03:47 am »

Manual discharging is fine, but a better approach is not to build a charge on yourself in the first place.  :)

Dave.

I have found this to be impossible.   If you know the secret, please spill.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #18 on: 18 Dec 2015, 03:49 am »
I have found this to be impossible.   If you know the secret, please spill.

+1

Davey

« Reply #19 on: 18 Dec 2015, 06:10 am »
There are no secrets.  It depends upon the environment you're in.....the flooring.....the furniture....the clothes you wear.....a wood-burning stove without a humidifier.....etc, etc, etc, etc.  I already mentioned one technique that works well for me this time of year, but I can't guarantee it will work for you.  But I can guarantee something will.

But heck, if you want to discharge your electric personality to a convenient earth potential all the time that's fine with me.  Go for it.  :)

Dave.