Medium-time Bryston fan-boy joining up

Russr

Medium-time Bryston fan-boy joining up
« on: Today at 12:26 am »
Hi folks!  Russ here, from a very soggy Houston, TX.

Joining AC to get closer to the Bryston community, in part to figure out how to eke out additional years from my beloved Bryston Amps!

I first encountered Bryston with a re-labelled Lexicon NT512 in 2001.  I was looking for a set-up to drive my Martin Logan Aerius ESLs, and happened upon a fella in Florida (Front Row, I think).  I ended up with the Lex/9B-ST and an Anthem AVM2.. probably my favorite combo of all time!

As I "progressed" into the madness of the never-ending-upgrade, my SL3's needed a bit more oomph, and I tried a 4B NRB, then added a 4B-ST (repurposed the NRB), and a couple of PowerPacs (125's, if I recall correctly) for the rears.

Time moved along, first (US) startup was struggling a bit, so I downsized, but kept my 4B NRB (I was my first true Bryston!) and a Lexicon NT225 (4B-ST) in the garage.

Things stayed that way for a while, had a kid, well, technically my ex did that bit of work!), boxed up my collection of ML's (a pair of SL3's, 2 pairs of Aerius, a Stage & a Theater), and deployed an Anthem AVR all-in-one-box to simplify life.

Now that I have some time & space (note "Ex" above!), I'm looking at resurrecting my system of old as I educate my 9-yr old boy in all things AV.

An old love of mine reappeared, so I'm setting up my current system using a collection of Kef RDM2's... my very first hifi speakers were Kef Cadenza's back in the 80's, and the RDMs kinda take me back!

I dusted off an old Anthem AVM50, hauled my 4B's out... and ugh!  Status lights on the ST (Lexicon) were hitting red for a while, then stayed red, and the NRB has one channel showing no status (and I recalled just prior to mothballing it, I had sent it to Bryston for the same issue.. I still have the note telling me it was just a fuse, and in future I could just change 'em myself... but more of that for another thread!).

I started looking up the Bryston site, and called in, and was frankly a little disappointed.  Now, I AM very aware of the state of several facets of supply chains these days (due to another slow-moving startup I am involved in!), but effectively I was told that to fix "an issue" would cost $800, if other issues arise, each of them would be another $800, and there is no longer a refresh/refurb program. I must admit, I'm more than a little heart-broken.. I thought I would be buried before my trusty Brystons!

Anyways, don't wanna come across as too whiny on my first post, but glad to be here and hope to learn a lot from youse guys!

Russ

Mag

Re: Medium-time Bryston fan-boy joining up
« Reply #1 on: Today at 02:05 am »
  Welcome! From another Bryston Fanboy.
It's unfortunate that you have older equipment, I find Bryston Servicing to be exceptional. When equipment though is past warranty then I think it is reasonable that Bryston no longer foot the bill.
  My Bryston system has been on the back burner the last while because of my job. When I retire in two years it will be back front and center. For the time being I am using wireless earbuds so I can listen to music on my long road trips.

zeeman

Re: Medium-time Bryston fan-boy joining up
« Reply #2 on: Today at 02:25 pm »
Your Bryston gear is, at minimum, a decade past the original 20 year warranty.  Your post is akin to complaining about paying real money to fix a 30 year old beloved muscle car.  If it's too expensive to fix, it's time to look at new gear.