Spatial/Nuprime advise please.

Tom419

Spatial/Nuprime advise please.
« on: 13 Jun 2019, 12:22 am »
I am about to pull the trigger on two possible Spatial speaker/Nuprime amp scenarios.  Option #1  Spatial M4 turbo S with a Nuprime IDA 16 integrated amp $ 3990. OR Spatial m3 turbo S with a Nuprime IDA 8. $4090.  My newly assigned 2 channel room is a carpeted, 12.5 x 19 x 8 space.  My musical tastes are mostly rock and jazz. My source will be a Bluesound Vault 2i which I will buy around the same time as my speaker/amp purchase. I hoping to have a nice sounding system that 2 people seated close together can enjoy that leans towards warm as opposed to bright. Im a 70 year old newbie and would greatly appreciate input from people who have first experience with these two combinations.  Thanks in advance.

Wind Chaser

Re: Spatial/Nuprime advise please.
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jun 2019, 03:47 am »
I wish I could help, but I haven’t heard the M4 or the IDA 16. I own the M3 and I had an IDA 8 on loan while I patiently waited for my Nuprime DAC-10 to arrive. If I were to hazard a guess, the M3 and M4 are more similar than different, seeing that they use the same compression driver, it’s just that the M3 will provide you with more / deeper bass than the M4. As for the IDA 8 vs 16, they have different amps and DACs, so even though I haven’t heard the 16, I would suspect it would be real step up from the IDA 8. So each combo has it pros and cons, but which would be the better choice?  :dunno:

JackD

« Reply #2 on: 13 Jun 2019, 03:58 am »
I have owned the M3 Turbo S and the M3 Triode Master along with the DAC-10/ST-10 combo but have also owned an IDA-8.  You will be disappointed with the IDA-8 on the Spatial speakers.  The IDA-16 will be much closer to the 10 series combo and if you can live without the extra bass output of the M3 then go for the M4 and the better integrated and worry about a sub if you feel you need it later. 

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 13 Jun 2019, 04:37 am »
I'd get the speaker with more/stronger bass.  My reasoning is this.  If you ever get the upgrade itch in the future, it'll be far easier to get a better DAC/Amp/Preamp in the future than it will new speakers.  And digital technology is changing rapidly enough that you're better off spending the $$ on the speakers first and then upgrading the rest of the system as technology evolves.

morganc

« Reply #4 on: 13 Jun 2019, 05:04 am »
I agree with Tyson, it's always easier to upgrade anything else except for the speakers.

JackD

« Reply #5 on: 14 Jun 2019, 12:48 am »
While I agree that getting the best speaker first is the ideal situation but if in the OP's case this $4k expenditure is an end game with no plans to fairly quickly change out the amp I think he will ultimately be dissapointed in the M3/IDA-8 combo but who knows. I never tried it with mine as it had been long boxed up when the DAC-10/ST-10 combo arrived and the M3 TS's came a year later.  He may think the combo is fine and the only way to know is try it out. If he gets the amp from Audio Advisor at least he will have 30 days to find out.

harley.guy07

« Reply #6 on: 14 Jun 2019, 03:58 am »
I am right now using a NuForce P-8 for a preamp and it works well but I have no clue how the company has changed since Optoma took them over. They seem to use the same philosophy of built but not sure. And I am only using it as a pre I have not heard their amp sections. I am getting ready to trade in my PS Audio NuWave DAC for a Stellar gain cell dac and will be probably selling the Nuforce P-8 if I like the Stellar setup with my Pass Labs amp. Since the Stellar has a better dac section and pure balanced outputs not just XLR like the P-8 I could not see me not liking the gain cell dac better as both a dac and pre.

I would go with the larger M3 and the larger amp if this is an end game situation. I know the price might be a little above what you mentioned below but I think the m3 and the larger amp would allow you to never wonder what could have been if you went with the other routes. Then again the M3's are rather efficient speakers as my bias meter on my Pass Labs amp hardly every moves even at loud volumes so I stay in class A operation all the time :thumb:

Tom419

« Reply #7 on: 19 Jun 2019, 01:17 pm »
I would like to thank everyone who took the time to give me your much appreciated advise. Yes, I will be purchasing the IDA 16 over the IDA 8. Now, if only a used pair of M-3' Turbo S were to magically appear in my path for $2000. Is $2000 to much to ask for?   

Wind Chaser

« Reply #8 on: 20 Jun 2019, 06:30 am »
Now, if only a used pair of M-3' Turbo S were to magically appear in my path for $2000. Is $2000 to much to ask for?   

I might consider releasing mine, but I'm located in Western Canada, about an hours drive from the Washington State Line.

Tom419

« Reply #9 on: 20 Jun 2019, 09:21 am »
Wind Chaser    Thank you for bringing that to my attention but I'm hoping to avoid shipping and find find some in Ohio or Michigan.   

rebbi

« Reply #10 on: 21 Jun 2019, 07:49 pm »
Hi, Tom,
First, if I were you, I'd go for the M3 over the M4. You'll love the extra openness and bass authority that the M3 offers. If you're looking for comparisons, see my comprehensive reviews and comparisons on my audio blog, here, here here and here. (That should keep you busy for awhile...)  :lol:
You'll see that I've owned both the M4 and M3, and what motivated me to upgrade from the former to the latter.
Additionally, I used to own a Nuprime IDA-16 and (after 300 hours of break-in as recommended by an online forum post) I sold it and moved on. If you're interested in why I made that decision and what I have settled on, feel free to send me a PM.
Hope that this is helpful to you!