Subwoofer output when SP1.7 is in bypass mode...?

nicolasb

« on: 31 Jul 2003, 02:00 pm »
It's been suggested elsewhere that the SP1.7 (unusually) can be made to produce output on the subwoofer channel even when the analogue bypass is active. (Activated by using discrete code 060).

James T, could you confirm or deny this, and (if there is subwoofer output in bypass mode) could you clarify exactly what is output on that channel?

Thunder

No sub output in bypass mode
« Reply #1 on: 1 Aug 2003, 02:44 am »
In bypass mode, there is no sub output. My understanding is that if you want to add your sub in bypass mode you will have to use your alternate output to your mains, balanced or unbalanced (whichever output you are not using currently for your mains) and send this signal to an external crossover that can sum the output to produce a mono signal part to send to your subwoofer.

If anyone has any suggestions on which audiophile quality external crossover could be used for this purpose, that doesn't costs a fortune, I'd love to hear about it.

afblaster

« Reply #2 on: 1 Aug 2003, 07:14 am »
I also noticed this on another AV forum.

I confirm that discrete code 060 does activate the sub in bypass mode, but I found that if you are in bypass mode when you send the code, you have to exit bypass and then re-select bypass before the sub becomes active.

The problem I found, which is obvious really, is that in bypass mode there is no LFE control from the SP1.7.  Prior to using this code I had set up the sub's x-over and level on the processor, which is probably the preferred method.  I am now experimenting to find a level and x-over setting using the controls on the TLE1 itself which will allow me to reajust the sub's level on the processor, so that the sub's output is the same whether in bypass mode or not.

Currently the settings are as follows - on the TLE1 the level is set at half-way between Min and the first mark, and Freq set at 45Hz, while on the processor the sub level is set at 10dB and the x-over freq at 25Hz, and X-Bass is set to ON using FB1 front plus TB1 centre and surround speakers, all set to Large.  This setup appears to work OK.

Thunder

« Reply #3 on: 1 Aug 2003, 06:49 pm »
Sorry that my previous post was not correct. Code 060 does in fact activate the sub in bypass mode. I hadn't realized this. When this is done, it sends the full signal to the sub with no digital processing, so you will need a crossover (built in or external) to limit the signal to the range you need.

buns

« Reply #4 on: 7 Aug 2003, 10:32 pm »
So whats the story on this feature? How come its listed in the manual but the section referring to it isnt actually there?

Ad

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #5 on: 9 Aug 2003, 11:29 am »
Hi Buns,

When we first did the manual there was pressure to get it out ASAP so we just put a line in referring everyone to the website for hidden codes because we knew we would be adding features as we went along.

james

Tanner

« Reply #6 on: 1 Sep 2003, 10:53 pm »
Thanks to you all i still have 3 hairs left on my head. I have been trying to activate my sub in 2 channel bypass for 3 days now. After reading these posts it WORKS. :D