New RSL CG5/CG25 Reviews and Discussion (Congrats to RSL!!)

ajzepp

As I documented in another thread (see below for reference/link), I discovered a love for RSL speakers several years ago, and I still own and enjoy them today. Just got the news that the new line is on pre-order, and I'm very excited to see what they've done. Thought I'd establish this thread for future discussion and feedback once they are released into the wild. I hope to get a pair in to at least demo at some point, so I'll be happy to provide some feedback and make a video once I do.

Here is a link to the new CG5/CG25 product page, and below that is the thread I referenced above.

https://rslspeakers.com/cg5-overview/
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=111915.0
« Last Edit: 1 Feb 2020, 07:56 am by ajzepp »

ajzepp

Re: New RSL CG5/CG25 Reviews and Discussion
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jan 2019, 04:53 am »
Just a quick update that I spoke with Joe of RSL today, and I should have a pair in here by the end of the month. They're just waiting for the current production run to ship. The first batch apparently went like hot cakes. I'll be comparing the CG5s and hopefully a CG25 in both 2-channel and HT applications, and should be able to get a video up.

For anyone who loves dynamic, transparent speakers, these should be quite appealing. The CG4/24 line was one of the few box speakers that won me over, and these promise to be a step up from those. I'm eager to give them a listen.

apstoltz

« Reply #2 on: 8 Jan 2019, 02:42 pm »
Very interested in hearing your thoughts as I have had the cg3 line, but felt they were a little too small for my room. What will you compare them with?

ajzepp

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jan 2019, 08:01 am »
I'll first compare them directly to the CG4/24, which I still own and use nearly every day...and then compare and contrast with some other random speakers I'm familiar with, including my Magnepan 3.6r's in my main room. I really don't have much interest at all in upgrading the CG4/24s, but then when I saw that the new line is also slightly higher end, it did pique my curiosity. I tend to have a love/hate relationship with most box speakers, because I'm a transparency junkie and once I adapt to boxes, I start *hearing* the box. But RSL did an amazing job with my current speakers, and they sound as transparent today as they did they day I bought them, which I find very impressive. The only other box that accomplished that in my home was the DeVore Super 8s. So I'm very much looking forward to giving these a listen. I do also have a pair of 3s here, so I'll probably pull them out and offer a quick side note on the differences, also. They do struggle to fill up a room, I agree with you 100% on that. Hopefully the new batch ships soon.

apstoltz

« Reply #4 on: 16 Jan 2019, 01:34 pm »
I would be curious to know how the cg3 compares to the cg4 as well. Looking forward to your thoughts on all of the RSL's.

ajzepp

« Reply #5 on: 16 Jan 2019, 10:40 pm »
Sure thing...I'll set the 3s, 4s, and 5s all next to each other and try to offer some thoughts on the differences. I do feel the 3s are a ridiculous value at their price point - especially when you get the package deal with their speedwoofer...the whole things comes in at under $1k, which I have no clue how they make any money doing that...but the 5s should be a very nice upgrade. The reason why I'm so curious is because they're double the cost of the 4s, and given how much I love the 4s, and the fact that they've been working on the 5s for over two years, they have the potential to be really good. The room I'll have them in isn't big in terms of square footage, but in cubic feet it's a much larger area, so that will be a real test for them. They appear to have a bit more internal volume than the 4/24s, and I'm sure they're designed to primarily be used with a subwoofer, but I'll try both configurations just to see how they do.

ajzepp

« Reply #6 on: 7 Mar 2019, 09:36 am »
Got some great news...I heard from RSL tonight, and apparently they've been having some logistics issues on their end, which accounted for the delay. I'm happy to say that they'll be shipping me some new offerings from the CGL 5/25 line, so I'll be happy to report back on some comparisons as soon as I've had some time with them. Will be sure to include comparisons to the CG3 and CG4/24 lines, as well, since I know a few of you guys are curious about that.

If anyone else has feedback on them, please chime in as well!

These are some of the best speakers that many people have never heard of, even though the company is legendary out west. Can't wait!  :thumb:
« Last Edit: 26 Apr 2019, 03:47 am by ajzepp »

ajzepp

Re: (*Updated 4/25*) New RSL CG5/CG25 Reviews and Discussion
« Reply #7 on: 27 Apr 2019, 04:34 am »
Just got confirmation that my order from RSL has shipped today. So I'll have a pair of CG5s, CG25s, and a separate CG25 center speaker. I usually evaluate HT speakers in a 2-channel setting first, so that will be first up. It should be very interesting to see what RSL has done with a speaker that is twice as expensive as their previous line.

I expect to have some very early, initial impressions/comparisons posted late Friday night, 5/3.

ajzepp

Re: (*Updated 4/25*) New RSL CG5/CG25 Reviews and Discussion
« Reply #8 on: 2 May 2019, 12:16 am »
Just a quick image of the CG25 in the wild...just arrived a few min ago. On the ground is the CG24 for comparison. The CG25 IS a lot bigger, but not quite as much as this photo would indicate based on the angle I took it. Sorry for the poor lighting...just a quick snapshot. Planning to break them in tonight and will offer some initial feedback tomorrow.

ajzepp

Re: (*Updated 5/1*) New RSL CG5/CG25 Reviews and Discussion
« Reply #9 on: 2 May 2019, 12:23 am »
BTW, I know several people have asked for comparisons with the other speakers in the line. Later tonight I'll put them all side by side and take a couple photos, and once I get listening impressions under my belt initially, I'll offer some auditory comparisons, as well. First impression visually, though...I'm really glad they went in this direction in terms of the size. I wanted something more substantial for a theater room I'm putting together, and my fingers are crossed that these will be the ticket. Hopefully they are dynamic and transparent, just like the CG4/24s, but on a larger scale.

ajzepp

Re: (*Updated 5/3*) New RSL CG5/CG25 Reviews and Discussion
« Reply #10 on: 3 May 2019, 10:35 am »
Here's a quick photo of the RSL models that I own. From right to left, we have the original version of the CG3, the CG4, the CG24, the CG5 (new), and the CG25 (new). As you can tell, I love this company and it's products. Will have more feedback on the comparisons shortly.

PS. A quick note about the sound...I've never been one to believe in break-in, but RSL speakers have convinced me that it's a real thing. More on that later, but Im a little over half way into a 36hr pink noise break in, and WOW is this speaker changing a lot. The CG4/24s did that when I first got them, as well, but whatever your views on break-in, these speakers will make you a believer.

WC

« Reply #11 on: 3 May 2019, 04:48 pm »
Do you have the Speedwoofer 10s also?

ajzepp

« Reply #12 on: 3 May 2019, 09:19 pm »
Do you have the Speedwoofer 10s also?

I do, yep. I have it paired with some Magnepan 3.6s. It's a very clean sub, particularly great for music. The only RSL I haven't heard yet are the new re-packaged CG3s, but my understanding is that they're only a cosmetic change from the previous version, otherwise it's the same speaker. But yeah, the Speedwoofer is a solid value for sure.

WC

« Reply #13 on: 3 May 2019, 09:48 pm »
I was looking to get a pair of subs this summer for my HT. I currently was thinking of getting the Rythmik sub parts and building the pair of subs, but that would end up costing me $500 more than the RSL Speedwoofer 10s and a significant time sink in building the sub cabinets. The Rythmik can go lower, but will I notice it? I have been running with out any subs. 5.0 system.

ajzepp

« Reply #14 on: 3 May 2019, 10:36 pm »
I was looking to get a pair of subs this summer for my HT. I currently was thinking of getting the Rythmik sub parts and building the pair of subs, but that would end up costing me $500 more than the RSL Speedwoofer 10s and a significant time sink in building the sub cabinets. The Rythmik can go lower, but will I notice it? I have been running with out any subs. 5.0 system.
It would probably be a very nice addition to an HT set up if the room was small-to-medium sized. If a larger/more open room, it may not be enough once the tracks get demanding. That's the main reason I use Power Sound Audio subs (Tom Vodhanels, one of the original founders of SVS's comapny) for HT and the RSL primarily for music. The 10" driver they use sounds great, but not sure how it would handle difficult passages in action films. No reason to believe it can't, just haven't really pushed it yet.

ajzepp

Re: (*Updated 5/23*) New RSL CG5/CG25 Reviews and Discussion
« Reply #15 on: 23 May 2019, 09:56 am »

01svtL

« Reply #16 on: 4 Jun 2019, 07:59 pm »
OP, any updates?

mmurt

« Reply #17 on: 4 Jun 2019, 08:41 pm »
Ditto!  Thanks.

ajzepp

« Reply #18 on: 5 Jun 2019, 03:03 am »
Visitors! Woohoo!! lol

So essentially I have completed putting together a full 5.2.4 all-RSL room, and especially after calibration, things are sounding really good. The new CG5/25 line is a clear step up over the 4/24. They are dynamic, have a suprisingly robust low end for their size (though they are not small by any means), and just like their siblings, they have a nice degree of transparency, which is exactly what I look for in a dynamic/box speaker.

The only caveat, as I've beaten to death in the thread over at AVS, is that regardless of what you think about burn in, I STRONGLY recommend putting 30-40hrs on these things before critically listening. I will freely admit that out of the box, the 4/24s were sounding better. I thought something was very wrong. But after giving them time to break in on their own, they began opening up.

I think I said this earlier in the thread, but I dont know WHAT RSL does to their speakers, but it's the same thing that happened when I bought the 4/24s back in 2012. I hated them at first. That turned into love, and they've been with me ever since. I have no place for them at the moment, but I like them so much that I really have no desire to sell them. The same happened with the 5/25s. I really could not be happier with them currently.

The 5s do a slightly better disappearing act than the 25s do, and image a tad better. If I were doing music only, I'd PROBABLY go with the 5s over the 25s, whereas with the previous line I preferred the 24s over the 4s. I think the cabinet volume and slightly larger drivers in the 5 series allow for the smaller of the two speakers to sound a bit better musically. On the other hand, for movies I like the 25s up front, which is why I ultimately decided on three CG25s for the front stage. I don't need them to disappear or image to the same degree since they have a whole team of buddies to help them produce the effects. But both my roommate and I agreed that for music only, the CG5s are our preference.

Also, even though I felt the 3 series (haven't heard the CG23, only the CG3s) was a TAD thin, they blend surprisingly well with the 5/25s in surround duty (atmos height channels, in this case). The height channels are far more active than I anticipated before i went with Atmos, and I was a little fearful that they'd stand out, but they blend in very well.

Overall, I just am consistently very happy with RSL products, and especially with the in-home trial they offer, if they fit the description of the sort of speaker that you want in your environment, they are a no-brainer. They're built like little tanks, they sound great, the customer service if phenomenal, and they basically take all the "risk".

Just for the love of GOD, let them break in lol.

witchdoctor

« Reply #19 on: 5 Jun 2019, 09:05 am »
Congratulations, sounds like a perfect set-up. Thanks for posting the review :)