Sony HAP-Z1ES Music Server

Rob50

Re: Sony HAP-Z1ES Music Server
« Reply #220 on: 27 Apr 2014, 01:07 pm »
You AV receiver will be fine. The HAP-Z1ES does all the decoding and connects with analog outs.

Thank you, for your help / feedback. I just now have a decision to buy the HAP-Z1ES, or go with the HAP-S1 ( and speakers ) as a separate music system ?? Ideally, I'd like the flagship player, but so expensive !!
Has anyone compared both players, and if so, does the HAP-Z1ES, justify the price difference, regards, purely based on sound ?

peterlim8

« Reply #221 on: 29 Apr 2014, 02:33 am »
Thank you, for your help / feedback. I just now have a decision to buy the HAP-Z1ES, or go with the HAP-S1 ( and speakers ) as a separate music system ?? Ideally, I'd like the flagship player, but so expensive !!
Has anyone compared both players, and if so, does the HAP-Z1ES, justify the price difference, regards, purely based on sound ?

Put it in this way, after your purchase of Z1ES, the next upgrade will be top DCS, top Emm, etc. Those in between , don't bother,  as you're not a reviewer.

Moreover, the Z1ES comes with DSD re-engine, which is not available in S1. This feature will "re-make" all your music file to DSD quality, just like those re-mixed or re-mastered SACD from the shelf, without paying any cents. And you've an option to toggle between DSD-re-engine and non-DSD-re-engine, if you want to have some fun of it.

And Z1-ES offer internet radio as well, it come free, and you're able to convert it to DSD quality as well, as long as the Z1ES is still functioning.

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #222 on: 29 Apr 2014, 03:34 am »
Man, I like this sucker. It does not try to show off if that makes sense.

It does not have the super black background, nor does it have the best image focus or detail retrieval. Yet, I have no trouble picturing the event.

What it does is allow the speakers to disappear, has wonderful bass, big soundstage, nice fluid sound. I just want to listen to it all the time because it just sounds so immersive and engaging. Great recordings are WOW!! Even lesser recordings are pretty decent sounding.

It's different. Good different.

I am playing it through tube pre and tube monos, just to disclose...... Further disclosure, this is not mine :( and will be going back to the owner end of this week. However, I have had several DAC's through this system and this Sony is one of the most enjoyable I have heard.

I'm holding out on the purchase for now, but I will likely be getting one. I am also curious to read more reviews on the modded units. Particularly from those that have gotten to know it in stock form prior to the mod(s). 

Rob50

« Reply #223 on: 29 Apr 2014, 08:54 am »
Put it in this way, after your purchase of Z1ES, the next upgrade will be top DCS, top Emm, etc. Those in between , don't bother,  as you're not a reviewer.

Moreover, the Z1ES comes with DSD re-engine, which is not available in S1. This feature will "re-make" all your music file to DSD quality, just like those re-mixed or re-mastered SACD from the shelf, without paying any cents. And you've an option to toggle between DSD-re-engine and non-DSD-re-engine, if you want to have some fun of it.

And Z1-ES offer internet radio as well, it come free, and you're able to convert it to DSD quality as well, as long as the Z1ES is still functioning.

My main concern is, I don't have high end speakers or AV Receiver, to get the true sonic benefit of this player, and at a cost of £2000, I can't afford to upgrade my system. ( I still want one though ! )

smargo

« Reply #224 on: 29 Apr 2014, 01:28 pm »
after 2.5 months of listening to this player - the 96khz and the 192khz recordings using the upsampler on the sony sound very special - more so than most of the dsd 2.8mhz upsampled to double dsd - go figure

the 96 and 192 to me in general sound much more real and open and spacious - although the "shelby lynne" sounds spectacular - the best dsd 2.8 i have heard - however this is mostly the exception

Rob50

« Reply #225 on: 29 Apr 2014, 01:44 pm »
after 2.5 months of listening to this player - the 96khz and the 192khz recordings using the upsampler on the sony sound very special - more so than most of the dsd 2.8mhz upsampled to double dsd - go figure

the 96 and 192 to me in general sound much more real and open and spacious - although the "shelby lynne" sounds spectacular - the best dsd 2.8 i have heard - however this is mostly the exception

Can you transfer converted dsd ( 2.8mhz - double dsd ) files from jriver ?

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #226 on: 29 Apr 2014, 07:44 pm »
Can you transfer converted dsd ( 2.8mhz - double dsd ) files from jriver ?

If the upsampled 2.8mHz DSD  (offline via JRiver or Audiogate, for example) files are now 5.6mHz DSF or 5.6mHz DFF files then sure, of course.  Might be interesting to hear them via the Sony vs sending the original 2.8mHZ files and having the Sony internally upconvert them to 5.6mHZ anyway.  Same with converted PCM to 5.6mHz DSD (with and without DSD mastering on).  Those are a few of the things I'll do now that I have the Modwright modded unit for a few days (before I have to get it to Randy aka RKlein, the new owner), and more in depth when I get Vinnie's RWA modded unit.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #227 on: 29 Apr 2014, 07:53 pm »
By the way, I have not noticed any owners mention this...but the outputs of this Sony machine are inverted polarity, so the right thing to do is swap black/red at your amp or speakers (both channels).  And often Dan's tubed mods (and tubed preamps) invert too...but in this case (his Sony HAP-Z1ES Truth Mod) it doesn't..so I needed to swap black/red leads.  I realize many recordings are done inverted, so this is somewhat theoretical, but what the heck.  I want to compare the same recordings I'm used to, so need to reduce variables as much as possible.  I think Vinnie's mods swap them back...but will make sure once the unit arrives.

Edit: Dan takes his signal right from the DAC, before Sony's own phase inverting circuitry....so nevermind...his unit does not require me to change anything.  Stock owners should, though.  I have an email into Vinnie to ask about his, but I think he works the same as Dan.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #228 on: 29 Apr 2014, 10:09 pm »
By the way, I have not noticed any owners mention this...but the outputs of this Sony machine are inverted polarity, so the right thing to do is swap black/red at your amp or speakers (both channels).  And often Dan's tubed mods (and tubed preamps) invert too...but in this case (his Sony HAP-Z1ES Truth Mod) it doesn't..so I needed to swap black/red leads.  I realize many recordings are done inverted, so this is somewhat theoretical, but what the heck.  I want to compare the same recordings I'm used to, so need to reduce variables as much as possible.  I think Vinnie's mods swap them back...but will make sure once the unit arrives.

Edit: Dan takes his signal right from the DAC, before Sony's own phase inverting circuitry....so nevermind...his unit does not require me to change anything.  Stock owners should, though.  I have an email into Vinnie to ask about his, but I think he works the same as Dan.

Hi Ted,

I fix this with the RWA-Z1ES-X mods as well, and I posted on the Sony Forum asking if they would consider adding a menu setting to switch the absolute phase (and on the fly via the remote App).  hey, you never know...  :wink:

Vinnie

Ric Schultz

« Reply #229 on: 30 Apr 2014, 01:26 am »
If you make two pair of interconnects that have an XLR on one end and an rca on the other and you terminate them so that one pair has pin 2 as hot and the other pair has pin 3 as hot then you can swap cables coming out of the XLR outputs and compare phase.  If you are running balanced then you can make two balanced cables that are hooked up different and compare that way.  Obviously, would be way better for Sony to give us a phase control in their software.  The balanced outs will sound slightly different than the unbalanced outs.  They are using a different op amp and coupling caps on the balanced outs.

All my mods will have the phase correct.  If Sony does not give us digital phase switching then I can add a second set of RCAs (or even a second set of XLRs) on the back that would have inverted phase and you could have them both hooked up to your preamp and switch phase by switching inputs.....while you are listening.

If anyone would like a copy of the Philips test disc track #23 (left channel) or #24 (right channel) please email me and I will email them to you (16meg each).  These have positive going pulses and if they are going up then it is in positive phase.....if it goes down then negative.  You can load it on the Sony or any source and even make a CDR with it and you can check any DAC output.  You do need a scope to see the pulse.  You can get an inexpensive app for the I/phone/Pad that will make your I thang an o-scope.  You do need an adapter cable to get the signal in.
« Last Edit: 1 May 2014, 12:48 am by Ric Schultz »

peterlim8

« Reply #230 on: 1 May 2014, 12:37 am »
My main concern is, I don't have high end speakers or AV Receiver, to get the true sonic benefit of this player, and at a cost of £2000, I can't afford to upgrade my system. ( I still want one though ! )

Think of part of the money go to your retirement pension, maybe you will feel better.

I guess it's depend whether you have extract most from your system.

And, if I were you, I'll wait for used set from the US, there might be mod unit available as well. :) So, no harm waiting!

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #231 on: 1 May 2014, 01:03 am »
Has anyone compared this to the Auralic?

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #232 on: 1 May 2014, 01:11 am »
Has anyone compared this to the Auralic?

The Vega?  No comparison, the Vega is a dedicated DAC at almost 2x the price, and is quite a bit better on everything.  The Auralic Aries is their streamer and not released yet.  I will have the first (or one of the first) one for US review and will let you know how it does soon.  :)

Stercom

« Reply #233 on: 1 May 2014, 01:19 am »

:thumb: Yep, its all about the music now, not the equipment.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #234 on: 1 May 2014, 01:26 am »
The Vega?  No comparison, the Vega is a dedicated DAC at almost 2x the price, and is quite a bit better on everything.  The Auralic Aries is their streamer and not released yet.  I will have the first (or one of the first) one for US review and will let you know how it does soon.  :)

I was guessing, but you never know as the Sony is brand new...  I bet an Aries/Vega combo will sound amazing.

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #235 on: 1 May 2014, 02:04 am »
I actually just had the Vega here and now have the Sony here to play with till tomorrow.

The Vega is one tough DAC. It sets the standard in under $5K DAC's IMO. Maybe even up to $10K. It just does everything right, and handles vocals better than anything I have heard. Superb USB input on it.

One thing though, you gotta use the balanced outputs to find out what it is about. I didn't care much for its RCA outputs.

The Sony is no slouch though. It is very musical and immersive, It does not have the best image focus, stage depth, nor the quietest background, but it does have an ability to engage you to with the music.

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #236 on: 1 May 2014, 02:13 am »
The Vega?  No comparison, the Vega is a dedicated DAC at almost 2x the price, and is quite a bit better on everything.

We shall see....as you know, I just sold my E20 MKIII DAC for Dan Wright's modded Sony.  When I was at Mike Galusha's he was able to get his Vega to sound pretty damn close to the E20 in sound.  I am certainly hoping that the modded Sony with the two Amparex Bugle Boys I have been saving that will be inserted in the 6922 driver stage along with a tasty 5AR4 tube along with the usability of the SONY will make me a happy camper. 

I will bring those tubes up when I come up to pick up my Sony (after you get over your TB of course... :wink:)

Regards,

Randy

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #237 on: 1 May 2014, 03:00 am »
That's a plus with the Sony, I could build my own tube output stage for it pretty easily from the sounds of it... probably use another Aikido or maybe mu-follower if I need the gain...

And I would only be using the RCA outs of the Vega since I'm not throwing away my SET amp anytime soon, but the RCA outs did sound really darn good at my place.

It would be a really stupid financial decision for me to buy a Vega, so I gotta ask... if the Sony was competitive it would be awesome because I wouldn't need a computer anymore too.  :icon_twisted:

OzarkTom

« Reply #238 on: 1 May 2014, 03:01 am »
I was guessing, but you never know as the Sony is brand new...  I bet an Aries/Vega combo will sound amazing.

AURALiC formally launch Aries digital audio streamers

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2014/04/auralic-formally-launch-aries-digital-audio-streamers/

smargo

« Reply #239 on: 1 May 2014, 03:22 am »

The Sony is no slouch though. It is very musical and immersive, It does not have the best image focus, stage depth, nor the quietest background, but it does have an ability to engage you to with the music.

however with just the level 1 red wine mods - it has awesome image focus and stage depth and is very quiet on the recordings that lend itself to these traits