Need a new dac

Mmaxed

Need a new dac
« on: 22 Jan 2019, 01:39 am »
Am in need of a new dac.  Want one with a power source other than just using USB.  Only input I need is USB and maybe optical.  Lets try to keep price under $200.

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: Need a new dac
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jan 2019, 02:12 am »
Schiit Modi, the multibit is $249 base version is $99.

http://www.schiit.com/products/modi-1

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #2 on: 22 Jan 2019, 01:55 pm »
Topping D50 sells regularly for $250. With some patience you can find new for under $200.

Mmaxed

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jan 2019, 02:26 pm »
Thanks guys.Looking at them and others.

SMSL Sanskrit 6th

Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100

Seems like there was another on the list that I'm not thinking of now.

I only use it for USB out of a laptop for streaming.   

rotarius

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jan 2019, 02:35 am »
I have owned the Cambridge 100.  The project dac box s2 in this price range is the way to go.  It is better than the cambridge 100 in every possible way.  A bit of a step up from the Musical Fidelity V90 as well but only with an upgraded psu.

Mmaxed

« Reply #5 on: 27 Jan 2019, 09:02 pm »
I missed your post on the project, but I ordered a Maverick D2 a few days ago.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #6 on: 27 Jan 2019, 11:16 pm »
I missed your post on the project, but I ordered a Maverick D2 a few days ago.

Did you get the OPA627 op amp upgrade?  It really needs it.  Sparko op amps sound good in the Maverick as well.  I own a D1 that I don't use any more.

Mmaxed

« Reply #7 on: 28 Jan 2019, 03:52 am »
I did get the upgrade.

SuperXRSSeattle

« Reply #8 on: 28 Jan 2019, 07:07 pm »
I have owned the Cambridge 100.  The project dac box s2 in this price range is the way to go.  It is better than the cambridge 100 in every possible way.  A bit of a step up from the Musical Fidelity V90 as well but only with an upgraded psu.

What upgraded PSU do you recommend?

rotarius

« Reply #9 on: 28 Jan 2019, 08:31 pm »
What upgraded PSU do you recommend?
I use a linear psu from China purchased on Ebay for 80 bucks. The designer of the dac recommends a psu upgrade.  Even the Allo 5V smps was a step up so I assume the ifi smps would work nicely.

SuperXRSSeattle

« Reply #10 on: 28 Jan 2019, 08:46 pm »
I use a linear psu from China purchased on Ebay for 80 bucks. The designer of the dac recommends a psu upgrade.  Even the Allo 5V smps was a step up so I assume the ifi smps would work nicely.

Thank you for the info! Is 5v what the designer recommends or go higher? Is there a place/link to read up on this? I'm curious who the designer is as well. I will have the S2 here tomorrow so the fun can start!  :)

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #11 on: 28 Jan 2019, 09:34 pm »
  Stancor makes VG linear power supplies as well.  Think iFi for that budget, hard to beat.

charles

rotarius

« Reply #12 on: 28 Jan 2019, 10:23 pm »
Thank you for the info! Is 5v what the designer recommends or go higher? Is there a place/link to read up on this? I'm curious who the designer is as well. I will have the S2 here tomorrow so the fun can start!  :)

There is a very long thread on pink fish media with the dac designer as a contributor. 
It has a micro usb power input and it needs to stay around dc 5v.

SuperXRSSeattle

« Reply #13 on: 28 Jan 2019, 11:12 pm »
Perfect, that's the source. Learned more than I planned and now not sure I want to be in the Project camp even with the reported high quality sound. The firmware updates, if there will be any in the future, has me cautious. If I understand reading between the lines it may be more of a DIY platform moving forward but I need something finished, or long term supported. Here's the link if anyone wants it:
https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/pro-ject-pre-box-s2-digital-dac.201691/

SuperXRSSeattle

« Reply #14 on: 28 Jan 2019, 11:17 pm »
  Stancor makes VG linear power supplies as well.  Think iFi for that budget, hard to beat.

charles

Thanks! There was comment at pink on the iFi, FYI. ps. found it p47 of that link, someone said the designer didn't like the iFi. I have no idea on it.