UK Manufacturer of Active two way monitors with built in preamp and DAC

Ashley James

• AVI
Hello all we're new to this Forum but ADM9 Active, remote controlled monitors with in built preamp and DAC are being discussed under powered monitors so it seemed appropriate to answer any questions anyone may have, if they find them interesting.

They cause a storm of controversy in the UK with one Forum having published nearly 600 posts and received over 20,000 viewings in the last few months!
It seem that traditional separates enthusiasts taken exception to the idea that these render them redundant. However we have strong links to the Pro Audio side and so it's seems perfectly sensible to us.

Ashley

denjo

Hi Ashley

Welcome to Audiocircle! Its great to have you here to share your views. Your AVI Laboratory 21 series integrated amplifier was very good indeed and gave me many hours of listening enjoyment. Ah, but my audio nervosa, made me foolishly sell it off in search of a pre and power combo (which has never satisfied me) and I am almost back full circle, looking for an integrated!

I have been a long time fan of AVI Audio and I have quite a bit about your new range of speakers. Would be good for you to share some info about these new revolutionary speakers, the technology behind them and more importantly, how they sound.

Best Wishes,

Dennis

Steve Eddy

• http://www.q-audio.com

Welcome aboard!

Strangely enough a friend of mine sent me an EMail just this afternoon telling me to check out the ADM9s.

They cause a storm of controversy in the UK with one Forum having published nearly 600 posts and received over 20,000 viewings in the last few months!
It seem that traditional separates enthusiasts taken exception to the idea that these render them redundant.

Such a reaction is not terribly surprising. But then those people don't really represent the market you're wanting to sell to, do they?

se

MaxCast

Hi Ashley, do you have a web site or link?

Steve Eddy

Ashley James

• AVI
I'm hoping that if I've edited my profile correctly, my web address will be at the bottom of this page.

AVI has always been an engineering company with zero tolerance of unsubstantiated BS, we deplore the way our Industry has been hi-jacked by the unscientific and the irrational and I suppose that we hadn't fully understood how entrenched this stuff is with its followers - hence the ruckus.

It may be an odd thing to say, but most (possibly all) of our customers, and they come from all over the world seem so friendly and normal. It possible to exchange controversial views with them without causing offence, even if we agree to differ, but on two Forums, one where I have posted and another where I haven't, there is anger, resentment and scorn. It's been a shock!

However ADM9s are doing extremely well for us and customers really love them, so if I can answer questions, hopefully without sounding like a hard sell, I'd be delighted.

Ashley

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
The dogmatic often feel threatened by the truth.   :(

Active speaker design is one of my audio epiphanies (after head to head comparing Paradigm Studio and Active 20s, which were passive/active versions of pretty much the same two-way standmount speaker).  Unfortunately the Active 20 is no longer made (due to lack of sales).  :roll:

A well designed active two-way can easily be a destination speaker and quite threatening to the entire loudspeaker and amplifier industries, especially to the marketing departments.

I can only explain the consumer resistance in terms of the hobbiest aspects of audio.  It amazes me how strong that pull is when compared to the obvious sonic advantages of going active.  But it goes back to the dogma/threat phenomenon which keeps them from auditioning in the first place.

Ashley James

• AVI
There have been quite a few active speakers that haven't shown the advantages of the system and a preamp and a source are still needed. Ours have both built in and need only noughts and ones from anything to produce music. Drive units have improved so much in the last few years that crossovers can not only be at higher frequencies but also conform to the theoretical ideal; They become inaudible by comparison with the best passive designs.

None of this is popular with manufacturers/retailers selling add on boxes as upgrades to audiophiles, but it's immensely useful in the home as Computers, TV's and Hi Fi converge or for those with home studios who just need a compact, reliable and accurate, fit and forget, tool.

Pro Audio gear is so good in every respect and so much less expensive than hi fi too. I don't think some hi fi types have realised this just yet, many in the UK really cannot accept that a computer could play music, which was another surprise discovery for us.

Steve Eddy

I'm hoping that if I've edited my profile correctly, my web address will be at the bottom of this page.

Not yet.

It's in your profile, but to have it at the bottom of the page where people can see it and get to your website directly instead of having to look at your profile, you have to include it in your signature.

Something like this (replace the left and right parentheses with left and right brackets):

UK HiFi Manufacturer
(url=http://avihifi.com/index.html)AVI HiFi(/url)

se

Ashley James

• AVI
I'm sorry about this,  I've tried again but don't understand, I can see left and right brackets already there and am not sure what you mean by parenthesis.

Steve Eddy

I'm sorry about this,  I've tried again but don't understand, I can see left and right brackets already there and am not sure what you mean by parenthesis.

Sorry. I used parentheses instead of brackets so it wouldn't be interpreted as code. But I went through the help file and found a way to get around that.

Code: [Select]
Hi Fi Manufacturer (UK Based)
[url=http://avihifi.com/index.html]AVI HiFi[/url]

Just copy the text above and paste it into your signature.

se

Ashley James

• AVI
Don't apologise I apologise for being so DIM!

I do hope it works this time and I promise you I know more about speakers than Computer language!

Ashley

Steve Eddy

Don't apologise I apologise for being so DIM!

Dim? Naaaaah. You sell yourself too short. It's just a matter of priorities is all.

I do hope it works this time and I promise you I know more about speakers than Computer language!

Works perfect! Though I don't remember seeing all those naked women on your website before. :green:

se

Ashley James

• AVI
We'd like some but I'm too near being sectioned to risk asking any!!!!

Hogg

Hi Ashley,

If you have a distributor in the U.S., they're very, very quiet.  How does one audition and purchase AVI products in the U.S.?

Jim

Ashley James

• AVI
Overture Imports are on the contacts page of our Website and I've written to him to promote us a bit more!

He's a hi fi man and hasn't fully appreciated the impact these things are making yet.

In the UK it's a War Zone, neither the dealers nor some manufacturers want to accept the inevitable domination of computer based music systems and some of them will go out of business rather than concede. It's an extraordinary situation compared to the pro side where the better integrated treble and more controlled bass of ADM9s, makes for less fatiguing listening and more accurate information presentation.

Life is weird!

Ash