Little help, please: why does my BDP2 "appear to be offline"?

Northman

I recently picked up a used BDP2 -- and thank you to all who helped my understand what I was getting into! The firmware seems to be up to date but it's taking me some time to divorce it from the previous owner. Among other things, he left his Tidal username/password visible. (I have my own Tidal account and have that working.)

I'm using Manic Moose and have been using the online manual. Here's my question: on the home page I'm told that the unit "appears to be offline." And yet I can connect with my laptop, use Tidal, and access internet radio, so clearly it's connected somehow. It feels a bit glitchy (I have to go to Services to re-add the MPD when I start it up each time and the album art isn't working very well) but otherwise it works fine.

Here's the fine print: I'm not good with computers and I'm confused by the "appears to be offline" status. Is it possible that the BDP is in fact not connected but is running "locally" from my laptop? (As if I know what that means.) I've gone to the Network Interface page; the IP address seems to be the unit's address; Net Mask looks normal, based on the manual; the Gateway is EMPTY. I don't know what a Gateway is but I've tried adding my laptop's IP and my router's IP and that doesn't seem to help. Oddly, the manual that I'm using is quite thorough but, while it has a page on "Network Interfaces" and numbers next to Net Mask and Gateway, there's no corresponding explanation.

I should say that I've read numerous pages/posts about the BDP2 out here but haven't found what I'm looking for.

Any thoughts? I appreciate it!

gdayton

• Industry Participant
Hiya. This is probably best addressed in a phone discussion with one of us at Bryston. We can often initiate a screen sharing session or you can put the BDP in service mode and report the service ID to us so we can look at it remotely. Give us a call and we'll see what we can do.

-Gary

Northman

Thank you, Gary. Much appreciated. Will do!

Northman

Just a quick and well-deserved shout out to Gary, James, and especially Chris. Chris took the time to help me out this morning; he was courteous, patient, and knowledgeable. And everything is now working just fine. I've owned at least one piece of Bryston equipment for the last 25 years and ... I'm more impressed than ever.

Now if they can only get a cheaper remote onto the market and maybe a 360 degree speaker ...