VMPS Speakers For Sale...!

Stimpy

Re: VMPS Speakers For Sale...!
« Reply #620 on: 15 Apr 2016, 12:12 am »
REPOST & Price Drop  -  $777.00  (What's with the pricing?  If it drop to $666, I'm not listing the new ad!!!)    :icon_twisted:

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/full-range-vmps-tower-2-special-edition-local-pick-2016-04-13-speakers-60601-chicago-il

VMPS Tower 2 Special Edition - Local Pick  -  (Chicago, IL)  $888

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/full-range-vmps-tower-2-special-edition-local-pick-2016-01-30-speakers-60601-chicago-il

"A nice pair traded in all original. The foam may need to be replaced but wanted to show an example of a really nice unit of this age. Very nice sound for low price."

Stimpy

« Reply #621 on: 17 Apr 2016, 12:18 am »
REPOST & Price Drop  -  $500  NOW $275...!!!

http://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/ele/5555120377.html

VMPS TOWER II LOUDSPEAKERS  -  (CHELMSFORD, MA)  $750

http://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/ele/5477820807.html

"VMPS TOWER II LOUDSPEAKERS BY ITONE AUDIO, CA.--HIGHLY EFFICIENT SPEAKERS--GENUINE WALNUT VENEER WITH SNAP OUT BAFFLE COVERS--50"H X 21.5W X 17D--POWER REQUIREMENTS 20-300W RMS--12" SUBWOOFER, 12" LOW BASS WOOFER, 5" MIDRANGE, TWO FRONT TWEETERS ONE TOP TWEETER. SPEAKERS WERE PURCHASED NEW BY PRESENT OWNER AND HAVE HAD ONE IN HOME FACTORY UPGRADE."
« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2016, 03:09 am by Stimpy »

Stimpy

« Reply #622 on: 17 Apr 2016, 12:28 am »
VMPS RM30 Floorstanding Speakers  -  (Seattle, Washington)  $2995

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/ele/5541119126.html

"From the website:

The RM30 Series 2 is a Seven driver 110 pound column speaker with 3 wide range ribbon midranges (280-6.9K response) and one FST ribbon tweeter (6.9k-30K response) These drivers have 1/20th the mass of the cones and domes that most speakers use. Planars offer amazing low level resolution detail and transparency. Couple the ribbons to two custom built 6" megawoofers with 5 pound magnets and 4 layer voice coils for fast detailed bass. The 10 inch side firing passive bass radiator extends response and output to 26Hz.
The mirror-imaged L-R speakers are reversible, allowing the 10" passive radiators to fire either inward or outward to maximize the averaging of room modes. We generally recommend:
· Smaller rooms &/or short sidewall spacing = basses face inward
· Larger rooms &/or long sidewall spacing = basses face outward
The RM 30 is a speaker that can match the dynamic capabilities of competent horns, the immediacy of electrostatics and planar-magnetics, and the fine detailing and imaging of the best dynamic designs. -- Positive Feedback
The RM30′s are extremely flexible of placement, including touching the back wall if necessary.

In addition to the information above, these speakers have the following upgrades:

Rosewood Exterior
Upgraded Capacitors (Auricaps)
Sound Coat Vibration Damping
Mega Woofer Option
External Crossovers
Super Tweeter (placement can be changed from back)

Specifications:
Bass -- 2x 16 cm (6″) WCF midbass, 1x 25cm (10″) Passive Radiator
Mid -- three rectangular 10 x 20 cm (4 x 8″) Neo ribbons, 280 Hz -- 6.9 kHz
Treble -- FST, 6.9 kHz -- 30 kHz
Impedance & Sensitivity -- 4 Ohm (3.6 min.) 93 dB/1W/1m
Power handling -- 400W rms / 4 Ohms, 20 W min.
Frequency response -- 26 Hz -- 25 kHz +0/-3 dB
Dimensions & Weight -- 122H x 18W x 49D cm, 50kg (48″H x 7″W x 19″D cm, 110 lbs)
Output levels and distortion -- max. 1% THD fullrange / 1W, max. 115+ dB SPL/1m
Finishes -- standard lite oak, dark oak, MLS rosewood, macassar ebony.

Original price $5500.00. Excellent condition. No trades. Note: these speakers are beautiful - they look as good as they sound, and they sound as good as they look. The pictures, I'm afraid, do not do them justice. At all."

PMAT

« Reply #623 on: 17 Apr 2016, 04:14 am »
Rosewood RM 30's were my dream for two years. Those have all the goodies too.

Doug Ravizza

« Reply #624 on: 17 Apr 2016, 01:03 pm »
The RM30 Series 2

If they're Series II, where are the CDWGs?

Stimpy

« Reply #625 on: 17 Apr 2016, 07:38 pm »
If they're Series II, where are the CDWGs?

The sellers description was copied directly "From the website", from the old VMPS site.  So, the speakers may or may not be Series II's.  Still, some nice opens being included.

BEM10001

« Reply #626 on: 18 Apr 2016, 07:52 pm »
The sellers description was copied directly "From the website", from the old VMPS site.  So, the speakers may or may not be Series II's.  Still, some nice opens being included.

I was told that only 17 pairs of series 2s were made, so if these are indeed series 2 and you are looking for rosewood get out your checkbook. Not too many floating around out there.

PMAT

« Reply #627 on: 19 Apr 2016, 06:48 am »
Aw hell, get out your checkbook anyway.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #628 on: 19 Apr 2016, 05:36 pm »
I think the 30s outperform the 40s, auditioned next to each several times in Brian's LEDE sound room. 

rbbert

« Reply #629 on: 19 Apr 2016, 07:55 pm »
I think the 30s outperform the 40s, auditioned next to each several times in Brian's LEDE sound room.
I think Brian also said or implied this on occasion.  OTOH, several frequent posters at AC (John Casler, Tyson) have stated that the RM40 was the "sweet spot" of the VMPS lineup.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #630 on: 19 Apr 2016, 08:54 pm »
I think Brian also said or implied this on occasion.  OTOH, several frequent posters at AC (John Casler, Tyson) have stated that the RM40 was the "sweet spot" of the VMPS lineup.

I believe Bound for Sound also liked the RM40s better.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #631 on: 19 Apr 2016, 09:15 pm »
Who else if anyone confirmed direct side by side AB in an LEDE, on several different locations?

The 40s mid-treble sound blurred in that AB test.  I suppose it could be personal preference.  Brian agreed the last time we did this AB. 

After hounding Brian every time I could to drop the 10" side firing 30 woofer, he finally did drop it.  The 30 enclosure is about 1/3rd the volume needed for that woofer complement.  And of course it needs literally about 5x the PR area of the OEM two 6.5s.

What the 30s need is to toss the dual 6.5PRs (easily bottom out) and replace with one 15" side firing PR.  Classic PR math: 2x active driver area = PR area (see the award winning GoldenEar Audio range, and Brian's first series of the IIa/R w/dual 15PR). 

And if you do this, place both PRs on the same side, do not mirror image: the less is driver symmetry in the bass range the less are bass mode effects (see TAS 2015 Product of the Year distributed bass array).

I urged Brian to side fire the PR, and he finally did, in his last model, the RM50.       

G E

« Reply #632 on: 19 Apr 2016, 11:25 pm »
James wrote:
"
What the 30s need is to toss the dual 6.5PRs (easily bottom out) and replace with one 15" side firing PR.  Classic PR math: 2x active driver area = PR area (see the award winning GoldenEar Audio range, and Brian's first series of the IIa/R w/dual 15PR). 

And if you do this, place both PRs on the same side, do not mirror image: the less is driver symmetry in the bass range the less are bass mode effects (see TAS 2015 Product of the Year distributed bass array)"

James-

I converted my RM-30M to the series II. The bottom firing PRs gone, holes plugged with 3/4 inch plywood sealed with an incredibly sticky 3m automotive product. The side woofers gone replaced with PRs.

You say not the speakers should not be mirrored. My side PRs fire toward the center. Should I have the firing outbound instead?  I recall reading somewhere Brian recommended inward firing for short wall, smallish room installations. The room in 12.5 x 15 x 9, acoustically treated with of 703 panels

Stimpy

« Reply #633 on: 20 Apr 2016, 12:16 am »
REPOST  -  $3500

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VMPS-Super-Tower-III-/121961834374?hash=item1c657de786:g:FHwAAOSw~oFXFm0N

VMPS Super Tower III  -  (Naples, Florida)  $3500

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VMPS-Super-Tower-III-/121930075545?hash=item1c63994d99:g:v4wAAOSwyjBW7eqx

"Up for Auction is a pair of VMPS Super Tower III speakers in Natural Oak. These sound incredible and I will miss them very much. The grills are in good shape the right tower is scratched on the outside, but they sound great. The Focal T120 tweeters still work great but need re-foaming. Kits available on ebay for 18.00. Aside from that they work great and will be listening to them until the bitter end. I strongly suggest local pickup. I will arrange for freight at cost after the sale. If you want them freighted to you I will have them on pallets and ready for pickup. Buyer will pay the freight directly, otherwise local pickup. I am selling because we are moving into a house that will not allow me to listen to them as they should be ........nice and loud. I will consider trades for something smaller like a nice pair of Paradigms or similar. Or really nice guitar. Pictures coming as soon as I can bring myself to take them. I have been in the Audio business for 20 years, and I know of no speaker that sounds close for the asking price. The closet thing to these I have set up were a pair of Focal Grand Utopias 2003 vintage."

Question:  Does ebay allow for trades?  I don't know how that'd work...???

John Casler

« Reply #634 on: 20 Apr 2016, 01:01 am »
James wrote:
"

And if you do this, place both PRs on the same side, do not mirror image: the less is driver symmetry in the bass range the less are bass mode effects (see TAS 2015 Product of the Year distributed bass array)"

James-

I converted my RM-30M to the series II. The bottom firing PRs gone, holes plugged with 3/4 inch plywood sealed with an incredibly sticky 3m automotive product. The side woofers gone replaced with PRs.

You say not the speakers should not be mirrored. My side PRs fire toward the center. Should I have the firing outbound instead?  I recall reading somewhere Brian recommended inward firing for short wall, smallish room installations. The room in 12.5 x 15 x 9, acoustically treated with of 703 panels

GE,

There likely is no "best" but only the best for your room, and listening habits.

Bass radiates "hemispherically" at low frequencies, but one can likely notice differences with "in-firing" and "out-firing" in specific pressure zones, and seating positions.

As well James' suggestion that asymmetrical firing could have advantages and could be a good one (unless you are a Libra) and having asymmetrical reflective paths can often be good in boxy rooms.  Early on, we had "mirror imaged" RM30 cabinets, so they could be used in "imaged pairs" in or out.  Later some cabinets came un-matched meaning asymmetrical set up was part of the program.

In the end, it is the old "TRY IT" and see how you like it routine.  Not hard to wiggle them into the different options to take a listen.

In doing so, also play with the "distance" to the front wall, as you may find that even small differences closer or farther away can change the response at the listening position.

BEM10001

« Reply #635 on: 20 Apr 2016, 08:22 pm »
I have 30s and have listened to basically everything in the lineup although not side by side. My friend / former VMPS dealer describes 30s as "mini Elixirs." They do indeed sound better than the 40s and are a very good looking speaker. Have those set up with some RM2s in my living room now. Quite the combo package.

G E

« Reply #636 on: 21 Apr 2016, 12:07 am »
The RM 30 is a special speaker. A friend of mine just got Utopis Scalas and is reviewing amp choices. I loaned him my Bryston 28s for 3 days and it was not a good match. We were both surprised. We brought them back to my place and fired them up and the magic was restored. His comment - my wife and I have listened to speakers up to $90,000 and nothing has sounded as good as this. 

Brian Cheney is a genius.

BEM10001

« Reply #637 on: 21 Apr 2016, 01:14 am »
Here's the setup I have now. RM2s with PR upgrade from John C, custom maple bases, refinished cabinets and reupholstered grilles. RM30s that I got from the listing here. Alpha tri traps from GIK then the artwork is all acoustic panels that I built myself with supplies from GIK and Guilford Fabric along with a Merimekko wall hanging as a cover for the big acoustic panel.

John Casler

« Reply #638 on: 21 Apr 2016, 03:18 am »
Here's the setup I have now. RM2s with PR upgrade from John C, custom maple bases, refinished cabinets and reupholstered grilles. RM30s that I got from the listing here. Alpha tri traps from GIK then the artwork is all acoustic panels that I built myself with supplies from GIK and Guilford Fabric along with a Merimekko wall hanging as a cover for the big acoustic panel.

What a GREAT LOOKING System!!

If you feel adventurous you might try elevating the RM30's about 6".

It is called the "High Boy" Tweak, and many found it made some nice improvements.

Maybe a wine box, just to give it a listen, but if you like it, you could have the guy who did your RM-2 Slot/Bases work something nice looking up.

For many, it tended to increase the Soundstage, and other little sonic nuggets.

BEM10001

« Reply #639 on: 21 Apr 2016, 03:16 pm »
Will give it a shot thanks for the tip!