Bryston Amps and Power Conditioning

masi61

Re: Bryston Amps and Power Conditioning
« Reply #60 on: 13 Jul 2018, 08:58 pm »
I have the BIT15 and all my components plugged into it. Ever since getting the BIT 15 I have noticed that the bass response from by Thiel CS 3.6 speakers is real uninteresting and attenuated compared with the treble frequencies. I have the 4B SST2 amp. My interconnects are XLR Analysis Plus - I don't recall which one, though I think they were like 300$ or more per meter/pair.

I'm beginning to wonder is the BIT 15 limiting the dynamics of the 4B SST2 to the Thiel speakers. I also have Analysis Plus speaker wire with spade lug connectors. Please advise. I have not gone back to plugging the amp into the wall to test my theory yet. I do have peace of mind that my CD player (Sony XA-5400 ES) will not fry any more display control boards due to brown outs (this happened once while under warranty and once while out of warranty) . But I do not believe that the sound quality is any better from the BIT 15 - right now I would say it is much worse. Please advise...

zoom25

« Reply #61 on: 13 Jul 2018, 10:10 pm »
How long have you been using the BIT15 with the current setup?

masi61

« Reply #62 on: 13 Jul 2018, 10:46 pm »
I've had the BIT 15 for almost 2 years. I leave my system on continuously. I use the stock power cords.

zoom25

« Reply #63 on: 14 Jul 2018, 12:20 am »
Okay, good to know and you answered my question about using stock power cables (unshielded?). The only thing else left to ask about power cables would be that the gauge is 14 (AWG) for the Torus and amplifier?

As far as interconnects go, I'm not sure what the construction looks like of your Analysis Plus. Do you have any standard interconnects like Mogami 2549? I find that along with Grimm TPR are a good cheap solution to keep around as a reference. These are neutral sounding for me and have never had a problem with them tonally. I got them custom made for ~$20ish each. I did find one of my other more expensive interconnects a bit less suitable (Mogami 3173 and SCIN effect). I'm sure there's probably nothing wrong with your interconnects, but just throwing some ideas.

Maybe try readjusting the speakers (distance/toe-in)? You can put some masking tape around the spot where they are, so you can experiment and always have the option of returning back to the same starting point. If you have a headphone rig, that's also a great way to supplement and confirm whether what you're hearing on speakers is translating on headphones or not. You don't have to worry about the room at all.

If you have a picture of the room and/or the rack, that could be a good start. For example, I've moved the Torus and my Class D away from the rest of my gear, and to the side, rather than having them all vertically lined up in the same rack with all their toroids matching up.

Maybe take a look at the wiring again to see if it's a jungle back there or if the signal and power cables are stuck together? Simple plugging and replugging of all the cables to clean up the connectors. Just some ideas. :thumb:

TJ-Sully

« Reply #64 on: 15 Jul 2018, 01:48 am »
I have the BIT15 and all my components plugged into it. Ever since getting the BIT 15 I have noticed that the bass response from by Thiel CS 3.6 speakers is real uninteresting......I have the 4B SST2 amp......I'm beginning to wonder is the BIT 15 limiting the dynamics of the 4B SST2 to the Thiel speakers. ........... But I do not believe that the sound quality is any better from the BIT 15 - right now I would say it is much worse. Please advise...

hi masi61,

here's my 2 cents...

I have a 4BSST2 as well...and recently aded a BIT20 to my system. The BIT20 made a positive difference.
Prior to making the plunge, I did some research on the Bryston BIT power conditioners, and i determined the BIT 15 would be too small to handle the large power demands needed to drive the 4B.  I think your observations are legit - and you may need to either upgrade to the BIT 20 - or, as you suggest, plug the 4B directly into the wall. 

Good luck!

TJ

here's a pic...

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #65 on: 15 Jul 2018, 05:43 pm »
Hi Folks,

For any amp larger than the 3B we recommend the 20 Amp BIT.  Otherwise plug the 4B and larger into the wall.

james

Pundamilia

« Reply #66 on: 16 Jul 2018, 04:47 am »
Hi James

Thanks for that clarification. It is very helpful for those of considering power conditioning with Bryston (particularly amps) equipment.

I apologize if this question has been asked (and answered) before, but does a BIT 20 require a dedicated 20 Amp circuit? I seem to recall reading somewhere that Bryston offers an adapter for the different plug arrangements. That would seem to indicate that there is some flexibility.  :scratch:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #67 on: 16 Jul 2018, 02:24 pm »
Hi James

Thanks for that clarification. It is very helpful for those of considering power conditioning with Bryston (particularly amps) equipment.

I apologize if this question has been asked (and answered) before, but does a BIT 20 require a dedicated 20 Amp circuit? I seem to recall reading somewhere that Bryston offers an adapter for the different plug arrangements. That would seem to indicate that there is some flexibility.  :scratch:

Hi

Yes the beauty of the BIT 20 is you can use it on a 15 amp circuit with the adapter cord and then if you decide to go with a 20 amp service later just change the power cord.

james

masi61

« Reply #68 on: 16 Jul 2018, 05:22 pm »
Thank you guys for your replies. I wish my local dealer had steered me to the BIT 20. When I ordered mine all they did was take my order - I was flying blind and made the assumption that the “high power” outlets would have sufficient current to not hinder the bass dynamics, apparently I was wrong.

I bought the 19” model with the black face plate. Is there any chance that my dealer could swap this one out for the BIT 20 with same 19” black face plate and I pay the difference?

I know this is probably not going to happen but I did pay around $1850 USD for the BIT 15. I think when I looked on the Bryston website it said that only the 17” is now available.

I’m headed over to Hanson Audio tomorrow to pick up my Bryston remote that got damaged when the AA battery exploded internally. The remote is 6 years old, apparently it was covered under warranty - this is awesome!!

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #69 on: 22 Jul 2018, 02:03 am »
In the past I have plugged my 4B-SST² into my Furman REF20i. And at times into the wall.
Of late the amp has sounded better from the wall. It actually varies over the years.
Another thing I always notice (since I just checked the sound today) is that the amplifier is FAR more interesting (sparkle is the term I would use) with the back switches set to 29dB and NOT 23dB! (Even though I used balanced IC.)
When I flip them back to 23dB the sound just gets sterile.(in comparison, just in comparison!)

masi61

« Reply #70 on: 22 Jul 2018, 06:49 pm »
Thanks for your reply. I just checked and I have the gain set to 29 on both sides. Previously I accidentally had one set at 23db while the other was set at 29db. I was freaking out because I had to turn the balance knob way to one side and I made all kinds of erroneous conclusions about what was wrong.

I’ve resolved that. But am curious about this amp issue with the BIT 15. I’m encouraged that I will be hopefully getting some answers soon. Unfortunately I have lost confidence in my listening (if you know what I mean). I guess you have to get back into the hobby just like anything else.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #71 on: 22 Jul 2018, 10:04 pm »
  An Isolation transformer is what is needed in lieu of conditioning Bryston. They got the power supply right but the Electric company still allows so much hash on the line only an Isolation transformer will do right. Does not Bryston make one ??  Easy peasy.

charles

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #72 on: 22 Jul 2018, 10:06 pm »
  BTW there are power conditioners available that absolutely do not rob anything from power amps. Just need to know about them.

charles

Pundamilia

« Reply #73 on: 2 Aug 2018, 11:33 pm »
What is the maximum peak current draw of the 4B3?

Elizabeth

« Reply #74 on: 2 Aug 2018, 11:49 pm »
From Bryston website, back page of owner's manual 4B3
Power
Consumption 
(Watts)Bridged:  900W 8Ω: 1700 watts

SO putting out 900 watts at 8ohms in bridged mode will cost you 1700 watts
That seems to be the highst spec.
Considering peaks and the 900 watts is at the distortion figures of ratings..
I would bet you could try to suck 2000 watts at a moment under extraordinary circumstances.
(you better be wearing ear protection. LOL)
Most likely your lights are gonna dim in unison with the music.

Plug the amp into the wall. If you want, use an aftermarket cord

There are some Furman with a stiffening cap. The stiffening cap supports the power supply under heavy amperage draw
I own one, the Furman REF20i. and I alternate my Bryston 4B-SST² from the Furman or the wall depending on whatI want. Of late I have been from the wall more.
From the Furman is more high frequency finess but a little thinner mids and lows... from the wall more mid/low range guts.only a small change. but I can hear it.

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #75 on: 3 Aug 2018, 06:57 am »
What is the maximum peak current draw of the 4B3?
Does it really matter? You will never reach that point in a household setting. When you play that loud your windows (all of them, even the tiny ones in the basement) will be history. The first Watt is important. Any Watt over that is just peaks.

Elizabeth

« Reply #76 on: 3 Aug 2018, 02:19 pm »
Does it really matter? You will never reach that point in a household setting. When you play that loud your windows (all of them, even the tiny ones in the basement) will be history. The first Watt is important. Any Watt over that is just peaks.

I think it can matter. Some folks regularly cause their amps to hit the yellow clipping warnings.
More so with a 4B than a pair of 7Bs.. Sure they are on the way to hearing loss. But that is their right. If the amp is hitting clipping, it is using more than the green light peaks, and thus may be using that maximum power draw.
(as an aside. I wonder if the amp will 'clip' with weak AC power FASTER or at lower wattage, than if the amp has all the AC power from the wall it can possibly use? this might be worth a separate thread??)

Pundamilia

« Reply #77 on: 10 Aug 2018, 04:34 pm »
Following up on James's recommendation:
For any amp larger than the 3B we recommend the 20 Amp BIT.  Otherwise plug the 4B and larger into the wall.

james

I would like to plug my 4B3 directly into the wall outlet rather than a surge protector, but my power cord is too short for the location of the amplifier. I have been looking for a 15 ft (5 M) replacement cable for the 4B3 (currently Volex 386A 15 Amp 125V 2 M length). According to the Volex website, the 386A cords are 10 Gauge. I cannot find an equivalent cable in the required length. Can I use a narrower cable (e.g. 14 Gauge) without compromising the SQ of the 4B? Ultimately, I would like to get a 20A bit as per James recommendation, but I am looking for an interim solution. Does anyone have any suggestions? I appreciate any helpful comments.

BCRich1

« Reply #78 on: 10 Aug 2018, 11:35 pm »
Hi,
Actually the 14 gauge cable is certified for 15amps, 12 gauge would be for 20amp. So the 10 gauge would be even heavier duty. I would think you would be ok with the 10 gauge at a 5 meter length.
Check with James to be sure.
Enjoy the Music, I love my Bryston set up!
Mike

BSMSPEMBA

« Reply #79 on: 13 Aug 2018, 02:02 pm »
Following up on James's recommendation:
I would like to plug my 4B3 directly into the wall outlet rather than a surge protector, but my power cord is too short for the location of the amplifier. I have been looking for a 15 ft (5 M) replacement cable for the 4B3 (currently Volex 386A 15 Amp 125V 2 M length). According to the Volex website, the 386A cords are 10 Gauge. I cannot find an equivalent cable in the required length. Can I use a narrower cable (e.g. 14 Gauge) without compromising the SQ of the 4B? Ultimately, I would like to get a 20A bit as per James recommendation, but I am looking for an interim solution. Does anyone have any suggestions? I appreciate any helpful comments.

I use Encore cords from Silver Sonic (DH Labs).  I found them to be quality, shielded cords.  The link is below.

https://silversonic.com/products/power-cables/encore/