Procedure for debugging AVR protect mode

VinceT

Procedure for debugging AVR protect mode
« on: 4 Jul 2022, 04:01 pm »
I have a Denon x4700 going into protect mode. Seems to happen during loud and dynamic swings in the movies shuts off receiver.

Much research indicates this could be speakers, speaker wires could cause the issue.

What is prescribed debugging process. How do you tell if yoir speake wires are bad? I do have a tester.

WGH

Re: Procedure for debugging AVR protect mode
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jul 2022, 04:22 pm »
The Denon is probably running right at the hairy edge of shutting down while watching a movie, internal parts are overheating or failing. How many speakers and what brand are you using? What is the gauge of the speaker wire, 18, 14, 12? I find 10 gauge is the sweet spot.

Your Denon has pre-outs. I'll bet if you run the L/R speakers from a spare amp the problem stops.

Did the Denon always do this? A part might be failing and the Denon is toast, you will know when problem gets worse and starts shutting down at normal volumes.

WGH

« Reply #2 on: 4 Jul 2022, 08:40 pm »
Do you use a sub or are you running all the speakers full range, really loud for a long time? That would cause a shut down.

Typically the L/R, center and all the surround speakers frequency response are rolled off at 80 Hz and ALL low frequency are sent to the sub. There are two main reason for this: the speakers are relieved of low bass so they can go louder without strain and receivers can be designed to put out high power to all the channels without the need for a massive high current power supply. Since the sub has it's own amp it can do what it is designed for.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jul 2022, 09:50 pm »
How is the airflow around your receiver? If it’s in a tight spot with low airflow, that could be a problem.

When I bought a Denon 4500, the first thing I did was buy one of those “Silent” fans and place it on top of the vents over the power supply. Haven’t had any issues with overheating.

I also do use the Pre Outs for the Front L/R Speakers, so there is a lot less stress on the Amp.

What kind of speakers are you using? Are they an “Easy Load”, or are they a bit more challenging? Any/all of these things could contribute to the shutdown issue.

VinceT

« Reply #4 on: 5 Jul 2022, 10:35 pm »
Thanks all for chiming in!!!

Very helpful. To answer all questions best I can

- I do use powered subs
- I do use one set of 4 ohm speakers, rest are 8 ohm. I will remove them from the system
- I am using some cheap zip chord, good tip on the 10 gauge. Perhaps time to invest in some better cabling for HT
- Also great tips on seperate power amp for mains, and noiseless fan

VinceT

« Reply #5 on: 7 Jul 2022, 02:41 am »
So it happened again after about 10 minutes of normal TV watching

Subs were not turned on, and I removed the 4 ohm speakers. The load was much lighter than normal

So there is something going on, more testing is needed. I am going to check all the connections again on the back of the unit to make sure mothing is rubbing or touching

Is there anything else I need to be looking for? I heard there is a way to test the speaker wires for shorts?

WGH

« Reply #6 on: 7 Jul 2022, 03:38 pm »
So it happened again after about 10 minutes of normal TV watching

That sucks, the Denon looks like the Swiss army knife of receivers. I guess checking wires is a good first step but unless you have a new puppy, cats or ferrets the problem is elsewhere. Cat hair clogging the vents, spilled beer or a rug rat's apple juice accident would be fatal.

Check your perks if you bought the Denon with a credit card, many have free automatic extended warranty coverage.

richidoo

« Reply #7 on: 7 Jul 2022, 05:30 pm »
Try with no speakers attached. If it still trips you have an internal problem.
If it doesnt trip with no speakers attached then something wrong with one or more speakers.
Reconnect them one at a time, or use a DATS tester to see the load impedance of each speaker, including the speaker cables to be thorough.

VinceT

« Reply #8 on: 7 Jul 2022, 05:46 pm »
Try with no speakers attached. If it still trips you have an internal problem.
If it doesnt trip with no speakers attached then something wrong with one or more speakers.
Reconnect them one at a time, or use a DATS tester to see the load impedance of each speaker, including the speaker cables to be thorough.

Thanks Richidoo, much appreciated