Delighted with my Selahaudio Tono Built

RZSERGIO

Delighted with my Selahaudio Tono Built
« on: 3 May 2017, 02:52 am »
Last year I decided to treat myself with a new set of speakers, I had been very happy with a set of Energy Monitors for a long while, and on the process bought a set of great monitors by Margules in Mexico, but I still wanted to try something new and with more bass, I was considering from the Elac`s B6, Revel Concerta 2 to the Kef L50, but after checking a couple of reviews on the web, I ended up on the audio circle blog by way of the no-audiophile page and decided to give Rick a try. My budget was 1k USD, I have very eclectic music requirements, did not want to spend money on a new Amp, currently an Onkyo, and personally like a flat monitor with warm sound with extended lows.

Rick was incredibly helpful and accurate on understanding my needs and budget, after a couple of mails, the new Tono design seem to match my requirements, it was a go for me with the Selah´s Tono. Rick was very accommodating, and redesigned the speaker original dimensions to meet my shelf and listening habits

at home.
Since I live in Mexico, I did not want to take a chance with shipping and customs taxes, so while being on a business trip to the US, I brought the kit and built the cabinets with a friend with professional experience on furniture building.

I have been listening to the Tono speakers for some days now, and I am delighted with the result, they sound really clean and tight, very efficient to run, my 100W Onkyo drives them well, and the bass extension is tight and clear, the overall result is a very warm accurate speaker that really calls for spending long hours listening to my music library. I did not have any previous speakers with Ribbon tweeters, the last speaker that I heard with ribbon was the magnepan  many many years ago, and did not enjoy the dispersed sound of the highs, but with the custom Ribbon for the Tono, I feel the spatial accuracy of the instrument, but gives me a more wholesome sense of space, at the end the Tono sounds like a wall of sound, great feeling after I was concerned the sweet spot may be too narrow, but I am happy to find the sound seems to blend together in a way that truly creates a stage for the music. I am truly happy with them, the only bad side, is that it makes me wonder how the other speakers along the Selah line may sound!!!

Anyway, Thanks Rick for the great follow up, and for offering such a honest and truly great product, thank you!, here are some photos of the process...

« Last Edit: 20 May 2017, 06:09 pm by RZSERGIO »

JapanJim

Re: Delighted with my Selahaudio Tono Built
« Reply #1 on: 3 May 2017, 04:55 am »
Great job on the build! Makes it very tempting to go for some new surrounds!

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #2 on: 3 May 2017, 05:20 am »
Nice looking speakers!

Enjoy your listening experience.

Michael

restrav

« Reply #3 on: 3 May 2017, 05:31 am »
The woodworking specially around the tweeter looks quite impresive

dflee

« Reply #4 on: 3 May 2017, 01:43 pm »
Gotta say best first post I have ever seen here. Welcome to AC RCSERGIO!
Great work on the build. They look great. May you have many years of enjoyment.

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #5 on: 3 May 2017, 07:31 pm »
Always good to see another happy Selah owner. Nice work there.

Cheers,
Lester