Equipment Racks and Stands

Zoe

« on: 3 Apr 2004, 10:07 pm »
Is there a consensus as to what is the best but economical equipment rack/stand to buy?  Also, is there an agreement that buying junk will degrade the sound? Circuit City has about 8 to pick from ranging from $150 to $300.  Other outlets are a little higher.  

What's the scoop?  Thanks in advance.

JoshK

« Reply #1 on: 3 Apr 2004, 10:40 pm »
Are you even slightly handy?  Do you think you could drill holes in MDF shelving?  Because you can build a flexy rack, which work quite well from parts bought at Home Depot and you could even have them cut the MDF shelving to size.  All you would need to do is drill holes in the shelf and then paint the shelfs before putting it together.  Cheap, pretty easy and works well.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 3 Apr 2004, 10:41 pm »
If you DIY just be sure you keep the shelves "sonically aerodynamic." 8)

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #3 on: 4 Apr 2004, 03:49 am »
Here's some further info on the TNT Flexy Rack -> http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/flexye.html and another rack with step by step photo's -> http://www.jetcom.org/gallery/flexi?page=1  :)

some young guy

« Reply #4 on: 4 Apr 2004, 04:05 am »
i built a flexy a few months ago. i used ¾" rods and 1½" maple boos block cutting boards, with excellent results. it only took a couple hours and about $200. it also looks great. :D

mca

« Reply #5 on: 9 Apr 2004, 04:14 am »
Where did you find the Boos cutting boards and what was the cost?

some young guy

« Reply #6 on: 9 Apr 2004, 06:27 am »
i have an old friend who works for williams sonoma. he got me four of them for $180 8) . you can do a google search for "boos blocks" to order on line. it's my understanding that home depot, lowes and ikea also have simular cutting boards, but i have yet to find them there.