Differences between Super Minis/Wedgies/Otica MTM/?

bsr

Differences between Super Minis/Wedgies/Otica MTM/?
« on: 31 Jul 2019, 03:21 pm »
I’ve been digging through threads looking at options to add to a pair of OB subs and I’m still a little unclear on what the options are. Sounds like the Super Minis are latest option and seems like they should be great but just wanted to check to see if there is still reason to consider some of the previous options.  Im also a little unclear on what the differences are...are the the wedgies and Otica MTMs the same thing?  I listen to a bit of everything but primarily jazz, funk, and some classical.

Thanks! 

mkane

Re: Differences between Super Minis/Wedgies/Otica MTM/?
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jul 2019, 09:40 pm »
 I don't know much but I don't think flat pac's are available for Otica MTM anymore. I do have Wedgies and Super Minis and am on the fence which pair do a better job in our environment. Both are excellent, Super Mini's probably the winner with vocals.

Captainhemo

« Reply #2 on: 31 Jul 2019, 11:19 pm »
There may  possibly be some  Mtm  packs  coming one of these days....
All the  kits use  a gr Neo3  in OB configuration the  Wedgies and  Super Mini's/Super7/Super 7 Monitors all use a  1" baffle while the  NX Mtm uses a  1.5" baffle to keep the  Neo3  aligned withthe voice coil of the  M165 NQ's.

Some differences
Otica MTM   2 6.5"  M165 NQ drivers.  in an 8.5"  baffle. These will play deeper  allowing for a lower cross over point to  the subs. They may offer a  bit  more  "body" than the  others but  likely give up  a  touch of  transparency/imaging

wedgies:   Use  4  of the  3"  LgK drivers  to  cover  down to  the 200 hz  range.  All  mounted in a  5" baffle  so crazy imaging and  transparency. The  Lgk  drivers are not currently available , hopefully  soon.  As I've mentioned in a couple other  threads, we do still have flat packs for these and we do  have a  set of  8, brand new  Lgk drivers that have never  been used.  We can  put a kit together   at the original   prices if  someone wishes and Danny  can easily supply  you  with the tweeters and  network components.

Super Mini:   A single Neo10 in a   waveguide covers  down to approx  200 hz.  the drivers  are   mounted in a  6.25"   baffle  so also  extremely  transparent with  amazing imaging.    The  transition between teh  Neo3 and Neo10   is amazingly seamless

Efficiency wise, they are all similar with the  MTM's and  super Mini coming in right  around 92db, the Wedgies  would be slightly  higher .... 93/94  ish
All 3  of the kits above  are  easy  to assemble and Danny  has  all the   hop up  parts if you  want to   go that  route with the networks.

Note, there is a bit of a wait on the Neo10's right  now

jay

mkane

« Reply #3 on: 1 Aug 2019, 12:07 am »

Sitting here with the Super Mini's I could swear I'm in a smoke-filled bar room.

Captainhemo

« Reply #4 on: 1 Aug 2019, 12:34 am »

Sitting here with the Super Mini's I could swear I'm in a smoke-filled bar room.

Need  a respirator  and an  air conditioner  ?   :lol: :thumb:
Enjoy  them   man   !!

jay

bsr

« Reply #5 on: 1 Aug 2019, 08:10 pm »
There may  possibly be some  Mtm  packs  coming one of these days....
All the  kits use  a gr Neo3  in OB configuration the  Wedgies and  Super Mini's/Super7/Super 7 Monitors all use a  1" baffle while the  NX Mtm uses a  1.5" baffle to keep the  Neo3  aligned withthe voice coil of the  M165 NQ's.

Some differences
Otica MTM   2 6.5"  M165 NQ drivers.  in an 8.5"  baffle. These will play deeper  allowing for a lower cross over point to  the subs. They may offer a  bit  more  "body" than the  others but  likely give up  a  touch of  transparency/imaging

wedgies:   Use  4  of the  3"  LgK drivers  to  cover  down to  the 200 hz  range.  All  mounted in a  5" baffle  so crazy imaging and  transparency. The  Lgk  drivers are not currently available , hopefully  soon.  As I've mentioned in a couple other  threads, we do still have flat packs for these and we do  have a  set of  8, brand new  Lgk drivers that have never  been used.  We can  put a kit together   at the original   prices if  someone wishes and Danny  can easily supply  you  with the tweeters and  network components.

Super Mini:   A single Neo10 in a   waveguide covers  down to approx  200 hz.  the drivers  are   mounted in a  6.25"   baffle  so also  extremely  transparent with  amazing imaging.    The  transition between teh  Neo3 and Neo10   is amazingly seamless

Efficiency wise, they are all similar with the  MTM's and  super Mini coming in right  around 92db, the Wedgies  would be slightly  higher .... 93/94  ish
All 3  of the kits above  are  easy  to assemble and Danny  has  all the   hop up  parts if you  want to   go that  route with the networks.

Note, there is a bit of a wait on the Neo10's right  now

jay

Thanks, this is helpful. Regarding the NX perhaps having a bit more “body”, would you say they are any more dynamic with punchier music/rock or are all options pretty punchy and dynamic? (I assume with the servo subs and being OB this is still an area where they all excel)

Danny Richie

« Reply #6 on: 3 Aug 2019, 01:09 pm »
I just had a dozen flat packs cut for the NX-Otica MTM. Unfortunately they didn't mirror image them and they cut all left side speakers. So they are suppose to have six more bases cut by Monday so that I will have six pair ready to go out.

mkane

« Reply #7 on: 3 Aug 2019, 02:09 pm »
 I would love to own a pair of those if there not all spoken for. Hardware also.

Danny Richie

« Reply #8 on: 3 Aug 2019, 02:49 pm »
I would love to own a pair of those if there not all spoken for. Hardware also.

They are not all spoken for.

bernardo

« Reply #9 on: 3 Aug 2019, 02:58 pm »
Danny or Jay

Can you please address this question: Regarding the NX perhaps having a bit more “body”, would you say they are any more dynamic with punchier music/rock than the other models in this thread?

Danny Richie

« Reply #10 on: 3 Aug 2019, 04:00 pm »
Danny or Jay

Can you please address this question: Regarding the NX perhaps having a bit more “body”, would you say they are any more dynamic with punchier music/rock than the other models in this thread?

I wouldn't say they were more dynamic or punchier. But they do reach down a little deeper. Instead of having to cross at near 200Hz they are almost flat down to 200Hz.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #11 on: 3 Aug 2019, 04:39 pm »
Yes, one thing to remember, the servo subs cover the ENTIRE bass section, so any/all punchiness will be produced by the dual servo subs, which are quite potent, indeed.

mkane

« Reply #12 on: 3 Aug 2019, 04:53 pm »
 A pai
They are not all spoken for.
A pair here if you will please