RMAF 2018 anyone?

Delacroix

RMAF 2018 anyone?
« on: 14 Sep 2018, 02:10 am »
It's getting close and not much mention here...anyone going? This year I'm skipping...couple of reasons but I have ticket to see John Scofield here on the 5th and an old friend coming to town that weekend so other things taking priority for me. I always enjoy it when I go but it seems generally less of an adventure than it used to be 10 years ago (maybe I'm just getting old).

targa02

Re: RMAF 2018 anyone?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Sep 2018, 04:56 am »
After skipping last year I was very excited to attend RMAF this year. But, then I realized my parent’s 60th wedding anniversary is 10/5. 

leif8660

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
« Reply #2 on: 18 Sep 2018, 07:56 pm »
I think I will go lol

twitch54

« Reply #3 on: 18 Sep 2018, 08:11 pm »
I'm taking the grandkids to the Zoo that weekend, the monkeys are more interesting there ..........

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #4 on: 19 Sep 2018, 04:18 pm »
I think I will go lol

..yep Damon might pop a hernia toting those 9 Ultras around alone

htradtk

« Reply #5 on: 19 Sep 2018, 11:02 pm »
Would love to be there but can’t do, however I’ll be attending the Capital Audio Fest in Rockville Maryland in November! This show is becoming the RMAF of the east! It will be good to see Damon and Leif again this year, great host! Anyone out there going?

Henry

Sandrock

• *My Sound Space*
« Reply #6 on: 20 Sep 2018, 12:34 am »
Well 'yep' I decided to attend this year!
I arrive on Thursday afternoon and return Monday night after I spend Monday with PS Audio in Boulder.

I am looking forward to it and in seeing everyone.  This will be my first time attending the RMAF.
I am excited......

gme109

« Reply #7 on: 6 Oct 2018, 02:06 am »
Heard a lot of really good sounding systems the first day of RMAF, and then I entered the Von Schweikert room, and had a transcendental Out of Body Experience. I've never heard an audio system sound this close to live music before in my life.
« Last Edit: 6 Oct 2018, 03:04 pm by gme109 »

Nick77

« Reply #8 on: 6 Oct 2018, 02:57 pm »
Heard a lot of really good sounding systems the first day of RMAF, and then I entered the Von Schweikert room, and had a transcendental Out of Body Experience. I've never heard of an audio system sound this close to live music before in my life.

Pics??

gme109

« Reply #9 on: 6 Oct 2018, 03:40 pm »
Sorry I didn't, but perhaps someone else who visited the show could post some.

Delacroix

« Reply #10 on: 9 Oct 2018, 10:18 pm »
Haven't found much yet online about the VSA room but if you locate any links, share them here. Here's one pic:

https://theaudiobeatnik.com/rmaf-2018-pictures-day-2-part-1/
« Last Edit: 10 Oct 2018, 12:17 am by Delacroix »

leif8660

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
« Reply #11 on: 10 Oct 2018, 01:10 am »
Heard a lot of really good sounding systems the first day of RMAF, and then I entered the Von Schweikert room, and had a transcendental Out of Body Experience. I've never heard an audio system sound this close to live music before in my life.
Did I get to meet you?

gme109

« Reply #12 on: 10 Oct 2018, 02:37 pm »
Did I get to meet you?

Not formerly, but I did see you there, and we have talked a few times on the phone.  I currently own a pair of VR 35's, which I'm very happy with.

KLH007

« Reply #13 on: 10 Oct 2018, 07:09 pm »
Sensational room/system, top of the heap!

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #14 on: 10 Oct 2018, 10:38 pm »
Haven't found much yet online about the VSA room but if you locate any links, share them here. Here's one pic:

https://theaudiobeatnik.com/rmaf-2018-pictures-day-2-part-1/

..from the link: “Von Schweikert Audio showed their new Ultra Nine Loudspeakers and their V12XS Shockwave subwoofer”...what subwoofer?...where?

KLH007

« Reply #15 on: 10 Oct 2018, 10:49 pm »
Leif runs the sub out of phase to reduce/eliminate bass boom.

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #16 on: 11 Oct 2018, 03:57 pm »

..an Ultra based system is truly transformative

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #17 on: 11 Oct 2018, 04:00 pm »
Leif runs the sub out of phase to reduce/eliminate bass boom.

..I was aware of that but only in the event of room anomalies...in the rear of the room as he and Damon did at 2017 AXPONA when dealing with what turned out to be a square room

kernelbob

« Reply #18 on: 12 Oct 2018, 11:46 pm »
KLH007, the VSA subwoofers don't have a phase switch.  They have a phase rotation dial.  It's important that the amount of phase rotation is correct based on the distance of the subwoofer(s) from the front speakers.  When dialed-in, the system cancels room nodes, eliminating peaks and troughs due to room interactions.  Basically, at the correct phase rotation setting, the front speakers and the rear subs interact to provide flat response.

I'm using a pair of the XS-15 subwoofers at the back of my listening room as part of the VR100XS system.  The subs are located 45 feet from the front of the VR100 towers, 52 feet from the front wall.  The phase rotation is set to 170 degrees for that distance.  With well recorded live performances the system extends the soundstage into and through my listening room, replacing my room's acoustics with the spatial qualities of the recording venue (surprisingly, including height).  One VSA subwoofer does a good job at taming room nodes.  However, to most fully recreate the left/right components of the venue's acoustics and to open up the height, you'll want two of the VSA subs, one driven by each of the left and right main speakers (I've done the comparison).

These aren't simply subwoofers.  They're a key component in an integrated system capable of recreating a performance's acoustic space.  Think of it as aural holography.

Best,
Robert

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #19 on: 13 Oct 2018, 08:09 pm »
KLH007, the VSA subwoofers don't have a phase switch.  They have a phase rotation dial.  It's important that the amount of phase rotation is correct based on the distance of the subwoofer(s) from the front speakers.  When dialed-in, the system cancels room nodes, eliminating peaks and troughs due to room interactions.  Basically, at the correct phase rotation setting, the front speakers and the rear subs interact to provide flat response.

I'm using a pair of the XS-15 subwoofers at the back of my listening room as part of the VR100XS system.  The subs are located 45 feet from the front of the VR100 towers, 52 feet from the front wall.  The phase rotation is set to 170 degrees for that distance.  With well recorded live performances the system extends the soundstage into and through my listening room, replacing my room's acoustics with the spatial qualities of the recording venue (surprisingly, including height).  One VSA subwoofer does a good job at taming room nodes.  However, to most fully recreate the left/right components of the venue's acoustics and to open up the height, you'll want two of the VSA subs, one driven by each of the left and right main speakers (I've done the comparison).

These aren't simply subwoofers.  They're a key component in an integrated system capable of recreating a performance's acoustic space.  Think of it as aural holography.

Best,
Robert

..very informative...well done Bob