Linksys Wireless-B Media Link - $29.95

Audiovista

• Industry Contributor
    • Vista-Audio
Linksys Wireless-B Media Link - $29.95
« on: 22 Apr 2007, 03:27 pm »
I came across this a few months back:

http://www.mcminone.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=MCMProducts&category%5Fname=3830336&product%5Fid=58%2D10875

I bought it and it was sitting it my basement ever since. I finally unpacked it last night and started toying with it.
It may be configured as a stand-alone boom-box

or as a source component

Unit comes with a decent remote control (well, decent for the price of the unit, it does the job and is rugged enough - I dropped it from ~4ft onto the hardwood floor and it survived without a scratch). It has an outboard power supply (linear type - which is great, I would be worried about switching supply in this price range). Analog RCA outputs, L and R and optical TOSLINK output.

Surprisingly enough, the setup was uneventful and I was able to pick up some internet radio stations quickly (the default list of stations is pretty outdated and many are not broadcasting anymore - however, adding new stations is not a problem, as long as they stream in mp3 format). The unit can be configured for wired or wireless networking, and you do not need a PC for the setup, but it will come handy to read users manual that comes on included CD-ROM. Note that I am by no means a computer geek and whenever need to work with networks I have to re-learn the process (obviously I don't have too many problems with PC stuff and there is enough time between problems and upgrades that I forget details).

Next, I installed Media Server software and the Linksys was able to find my files without any problems.

Now - sound quality:

1. Boom-box: listened only with internet radio and it does sound like a $30 boom-box. Primary use: extreme convenience around house, background music, etc.

2. Source component connected to an amplifier: first thing to notice - outputs are low in level. Best sound is when the Linksys' volume control is set to ~80%, but if you use it with an integrated amp (as I do), chances are that you will not be able to drive it very hard. Preamp would help.
     2.1. Internet radio: Sound quality is on par with average FM radio quality. If you live in NYC, tune up to 102.7 and that's the kind of sound you'll get. It is listenable, nothing impressive but ok for non-critical listening.
     2.2. MP3 files: Sound quality compares to better FM stations on an average tuner. Again, in NYC it would compare to FM 101.9.

Another note that may help: I could not hear difference in sound between mp3 files compressed at 192kbps and 320kbps. Compared to a CD player versions of the same songs, the bass was soft and boom-y and highs were somewhat veiled. But the poor bass was more offending to my ears.

All the listening so far was done by using Linksys' analog outputs. I do not have DAC with toslink handy, will have to move the unit and hook it up to my HT receiver, but it is reasonable to expect significant improvement.

Something tells me that this unit is a prime candidate for op-amps replacement and some serious bypassing (op-amps and every single chip there is) which should help a lot. At $30 price nobody will worry about voiding warranty by opening it.

CONCLUSION:

(+) Low, low cost
(+) Easy, hassle-free setup
(+) Ultimate convenience - stream your music or listen to internet radio wherever your Wi-Fi reaches (and you have AC power available).
(+) Performance on par with low to mid-low level FM tuners
(+) Acceptable display and functional front pannel/remote controls
(+) Looks like a tweaker's paradise - even the simplest tweaks are expected to bring significant improvements and you can go as far as your patience takes you
(-) Performance on par with low to mid-low level FM tuners (yeah, I know I said that this was a +, but it depends on your point of view)
(-) Boomy bass, fogged highs

Heck, it's hard to find many negatives when something so functional costs so little.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED TOY (not a serious piece of audio equipment, but enjoyable and rewarding to spend some time with)  :thumb:

Boris

hackkira

Re: Linksys Wireless-B Media Link - $29.95
« Reply #1 on: 25 Aug 2009, 08:48 am »
Surprisingly enough, the bureaucracy was boring and I was able to aces up some internet radio stations bound (the absence account of stations is appealing anachronous and abounding are not broadcasting anymore - however, abacus new stations is not a problem, as continued as they beck in mp3 format). The assemblage can be configured for active or wireless networking, and you do not charge a PC for the setup, but it will appear accessible to apprehend users chiral that comes on included CD-ROM. Note that I am by no agency a computer beatnik and whenever charge to plan with networks I accept to re-learn the action (obviously I don't accept too abounding problems with PC being and there is abundant time amid problems and upgrades that I overlook details).