Large Ribbon Center (LRC) how good off axis?

Marbles

« on: 26 Oct 2003, 09:48 pm »
My Ht is such that three people normally sit in front of the TV, and two sit off to the side when the family watches movies.

How good is the off axis response of the LRC W/FST?

What upgrades besides soundcoat and FST would you recommend and why?

TIA.

Woodsea

« Reply #1 on: 26 Oct 2003, 10:07 pm »
Ribbons-
I have not heard the LRC with the new FST.  But after hearing the FST in the 626's at the show that we met, all I can say is that it opens up by at least 35 degrees on the sides.  I am currently figuring out how much that and the auricaps upgrades are going to be.  It is a fine center channel sans FST for peripheral listening.
Eric

John Casler

« Reply #2 on: 28 Oct 2003, 03:54 am »
My LRC has the "spiral" tweeter and I have seating well around the room, with no problems.

Many times, I am "very" off center watching TV (since my room is set up the long way and the right rear corner has a table where I sometimes eat and watch TV news)  

Dialogue is always clear and clean and centered.  In fact sometimes, if I'm just watching the news, I don't even turn on the mains, and just have the LRC and the surrounds on, and it sounds great!! :mrgreen:

Marbles

« Reply #3 on: 28 Oct 2003, 03:58 am »
Is the auricap upgrade necessary?

Sedona Sky Sound

« Reply #4 on: 28 Oct 2003, 07:59 am »
Using the Auricap with the LRC is somewhat dependant on its planned use and setup. If you will be using the LRC only for movies (no plans for  Trinaural or multi-channel SACD) and/or you will be running the LRC with a different/lesser amp, then leaving off the capacitor upgrade will not be that big a deal.

The advantages of the capacitor upgrade really come into play when using a similar amp to the mains with an SACD panning source. Having Auricaps in my RM40s and LRC (and driving everything with Ampzillas) gives me a seamless pan across the front. Sometimes I have to use a different amp for the LRC (either a Marsh or Classe') which produces a definite timber change. It is audible on some SACDs but I generally don't notice it during movies (possibly since the audio quality of digital modes of most Pre/Pros is significantly less than what VMPS speakers are capable of producing/resolving). I have also used the LRC (w/ Auricap and FST) with my 626Rs (spiral ribbon and no Auricap) as my main front speakers with roughly the same result. There is a difference but with most material you don't notice it unless you are listening for it. However, if you do start listening for it, you will hear it, and it may or may not bug you.

All that being said, to match the LRC to your new speakers you would actually need the TRTs and not the Auricaps. The Auricap would likely make the timber a little "closer", but still won't be exact.  

Hope that helps.        

Julian
www.sedonaskysound.com

Marbles

« Reply #5 on: 28 Oct 2003, 01:22 pm »
Thanks Julian that helps a lot.

Currently with my nOrh 9.0 run as center channel in small mode and on a Symphonic Line RG4 amp, I hear a seemless interaction on the movie Matrix Reloaded and on the two concert DVD's I've tried, Hell Freezes Over, and John Fogerty's Premonition.

I did notice a difference on the DVD-A I tried.  The center channel does have a different IC and a different speaker cable, and I'm sure this has something to do with the not matching up in DVD-A mode, so I have ordered the same IC and cable I use on the fronts to see if this gets me closer.  I do not normally listen to DVD-A's much and have no SACD player.

Glad to see that off AXIS the LRC is pretty good as that was my main concern.  

I really don't want to have to pay for the TRT for the center channel if I don't have to...........hell, I don't even want to pony up for the Auricap....but in the long run I want to get the one that will match up the best to the mains.

ctviggen

« Reply #6 on: 28 Oct 2003, 04:25 pm »
I would be very interested in a test of the LRC with and without TRTs, when the fronts are RM-40s with TRTs (I guess they should also have the  FSTs in the LRC and RM-40s).  Currently, I have Linn 5140s as my front speakers, with a Linn center channel (5120).  This setup provides seemless panning, but I do not listen to multichannel music.