Super Five Break IN

Frank I

Super Five Break IN
« on: 2 Jan 2011, 08:12 pm »
Guys my first post here and wanted to say hello. I just picked up a set of Super Five from Tabrink and they need burn in. I have been using my Decware CSP-2 and Taboo combo to put six watt coming from a Marantz Universal 6001 as my source. I spoke with Louis and told me the bass will arrive and need to be patient. I inly received them Wed so they have been averaging about 8rs a day and Tom told me he only had 25 hrs on them so I still see them as bass shy and a little bright and can be harsh but I also see the potential. I would like to hear some of your break in experiences and playing these round the clock is out of question because of y tube amps. Will tehes arrive at 200 hours or more burn in. It would be good to get some ideas.

Louis O

Re: Super Five Break IN
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jan 2011, 12:03 am »
Hi Frank,

Many thanks for your post and they just need a lot of time on them. You pretty much have new speakers.

Thanks,
Louis

Frank I

« Reply #2 on: 5 Jan 2011, 12:21 pm »
The bass is starting to arrive and the harshness is toning down some. I have put about 50 hours on them since they arrived last week. I see the potential and think these will work out fine Louis for my near field solution. I use them between 8-10 hrs daily so the break in should be complete in a couple of weeks but i did start hearing a difference yesterday. I would think the anti cable I am using also are burning in.

Louis O

« Reply #3 on: 5 Jan 2011, 10:59 pm »
Hi Frank,

Great news and with that many hours a day they will be there very soon.
Play them loud here and there to get them broken in faster.

Thanks,
Louis

Frank I

« Reply #4 on: 9 Jan 2011, 03:55 pm »
Louis on a 10Inch sub I have an Outlaw that I was using for Maggies and have the crossover at 55hz now which seems more integrated. Do you have any suggestions as to what setting would be best. Still playing them 8-10 hrs a day and bass seems better without sub but better with a sub reinforcing the bass. Like some of your experience with powered subs,

Frank I

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jan 2011, 09:02 pm »
After 125 hrs I still plus 25 more Tom put on these I still find them harsh and bright. Does this go away or is it the way this speaker sounds in general. I am hoping this changes or I really may not like them long term

ZLS

« Reply #6 on: 11 Jan 2011, 12:42 am »
After 125 hrs I still plus 25 more Tom put on these I still find them harsh and bright. Does this go away or is it the way this speaker sounds in general. I am hoping this changes or I really may not like them long term

It goes away; it goes away in spades! 
    I have a pair of the Omega Sticks which also run a 4 1/2" Driver, and the sound is smooth and revealing. 
    They are amazing little Drivers. 

Frank I

« Reply #7 on: 11 Jan 2011, 04:36 pm »
I figure I have another week or week in a half to see if they change. If they dont by then what I have is what I got. I should have 250 hrs by then if they still bright and harsh then this is the design IMO.

Louis O

« Reply #8 on: 12 Jan 2011, 12:16 am »
Hi Frank,

I would like to check them out for myself. You may have bad drivers.

I have 3i's running right now with SS amp and no issues.

Thanks,
Louis

Frank I

« Reply #9 on: 12 Jan 2011, 06:54 pm »
No need to check them out the harshness and bright sound was the Genelex EL84 tubes. I switched back in the SV83 into the Taboo they play loud before clipping way loud. The tube that cam with the amp makes the speakers sound very very nice indeed. The speakers showed me the weakness upstream doing what it was designed to do. I can say with more hours they will arrive but they sound very very good now and I am glad to know they reveal all the problems whether it is a tube or a source this speaker is very truthful and enjoyable. With a warm tube or amp that is tube like I cant imagine not liking this speaker, i hope the roller coaster id done but I like them. But they still clamp the amp if I turn the amp volume all the way up. At about 2/3 up the speakers will distort. I assume that its the 93DB with the 6 Watts. Any other Taboo users on board
« Last Edit: 12 Jan 2011, 11:36 pm by Frank I »

Louis O

« Reply #10 on: 12 Jan 2011, 11:35 pm »
Hi Frank,

Many thanks and great news. These can be microscopes and will reveal a lot. Very happy to hear all is well.

Thanks again,
Louis

Frank I

« Reply #11 on: 12 Jan 2011, 11:39 pm »
Louis I did add a sligh modify on the post . I do not think its the speakers but I could be wrong. They play loud well but if I really want to push them I can distort them with the 6W amp at very high levels. I never listen that loud anyway. It could be the 93DB with the 6W

Louis O

« Reply #12 on: 13 Jan 2011, 06:07 pm »
Hi Frank,

Thanks and it sounds like it. 6watts is good power for them at a certain point and depends on the music.

Thanks,
Louis

Frank I

« Reply #13 on: 18 Jan 2011, 04:21 pm »
Coming up on 200 hrs that I put on the Omegas and they have toned down and I notice much less hard sound and vocals much improved. They are a microscope and clearly let me hear differences in tubes and cables especially. I am very satisfied with the Outlaws sub integrated as my sub there is plenty bass and the Taboo 6W drives them to very loud levels so there is no issue using low wattage amps as long as you don't want to blow your eardrums out. Nice job with these Louis and glad to be in the Omega club.

Frank I

« Reply #14 on: 27 Jan 2011, 12:10 am »
Louis the speakers are simply amazing now that they are burned in. I have tu sub dialed in and at my HeadFi mini meet here on Saturday jaws dropped and had nothing but compliments. The Taboo is a great amp for them with the CSP-2 Decware preamp. I am so happy both you and Tom told me to be patient. My system is almost complete with one more planar headphone coming and then done.

Louis O

« Reply #15 on: 27 Jan 2011, 11:29 pm »
Hi Frank,

Awesome and great news. Thanks for showing them at the meet and very happy the Headfi guys liked the sound. Great news regarding the sub too.

I heard great things about the Taboo amp and Frank in VA. and Rob in Canada are big fans. I should look into getting one myself. Feels great to be almost done. Hope the new headphones are great.

Thanks,
Louis

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #16 on: 20 Feb 2011, 08:24 pm »
I agree break in and having the right equipment upstream is key, but if you are patient and wiling to tweak your system you will get great results. With my 4.5" XRS, every little thing makes a difference, you need to have good equipment from source to speaker cables. I'd recommend new users give a few hundred hours for break in before being too critical, then start looking at the rest of your equipment if there is harshness or whatnot. Omegas are a little forward, but not harsh or overly bright.

Louis O

« Reply #17 on: 20 Feb 2011, 09:53 pm »
Hi Dave,

Thanks and they as you say. This is the microscope of the line. A little fussy, but when it's dialed in wonderful.

Thanks,
Louis

Frank I

« Reply #18 on: 9 Mar 2011, 03:44 am »
Well they are broken in. The Marantz SA8004 really helped the because of their warm signature the Omega does not sound bright. Also the Mullard tubes are really beautiful with the Decware amps. Could not be happier. great speakers Louis

Louis O

« Reply #19 on: 10 Mar 2011, 10:21 pm »
Hi Frank,

Great news and I do like the marantz too. I know it very well. Mullard tubes are awesome.

Thanks again for your kind words,
Louis