Super 3 with VTL amps

Robertwaller

Super 3 with VTL amps
« on: 6 Oct 2005, 03:58 am »
Does anyone have experience driving Super 3's with VTL gear? I am considering trying Super 3's with my VTL Tiny Triodes.

Songforyou

Super 3 with VTL amps
« Reply #1 on: 12 Nov 2005, 04:49 am »
Okay, I'll bite.  I've been meaning to respond to this note for some time now.  I have not heard the VTL TTs with the Super 3s, but I own the Super 3s and have listened extensively to the TTs with my previous speakers (Meadowlark hotrod Kestrals).  I am currently driving the Super3s with a modified Scott integrated which, like the TTs, uses EL84s.  I'm very happy with my set up and I think you are barking up the right tree.

Louis O

Super 3 with VTL amps
« Reply #2 on: 16 Nov 2005, 03:10 am »
Hi Songforyou,

I agree 100%. I really like EL-84s with all my speakers. Wonderful sounding tube.

Thanks again,
Louis

Robertwaller

Super 3 with VTL amps
« Reply #3 on: 17 Nov 2005, 05:16 am »
I will answer my own question. I purchased a pair of super 3's a couple of weeks ago and have been playing them from a bookshelf location in a very large room, driven by VTL Tiny Triodes and a VTL 2.5 preamp. After about 50 hours of break-in they sound really great. The shelves seem to reinforce the bass and the music (especially vocal) is very clear and natural sounding. I also have a pair of Hornshop Horns that  sounded great with the amps in that room, but floorstanding speakers didn't fit my wife's plans for the room. I do not agree with the "conventional wisdom" that large speakers are needed in large rooms anymore.

Louis O

Super 3 with VTL amps
« Reply #4 on: 20 Nov 2005, 03:32 am »
Hi Robert,

Great to hear the synergy with the VTLs is great. Bookshelf placement really works with the Super 3s because of the speed and I'm very happy it sounds great.

Thanks again,
Louis