System advice (warning student budget!)

fiveoclockfriday

« on: 16 Jun 2005, 04:07 am »
Hey guys, long time reader, first time poster. I was originally considering saving some money to purchase a Sonic Impact T-Amp and a pair of Super 3's with the Skylar stands. I already have a Philips universal player that will serve as the source. Once I read about the Mini Me's and the Clari-T amp deal that goes along with them, I got to thinking whether or not that would be a better sound. Certainly the Clari-T is a better sounding amp, but are the Super 3's better than the Mini-Me's? ( I realize better is a crazy term to throw around, so I apologize in advance) The next logical step of course was to consider all the other combinations of these 4 components. So, what are your guys thoughts? Price is a major concern.
I am a student living in an apartment, so for the next few years I won't have a large listening room by any measure. I listen to mostly jazz, blues, "classic rock", and then the poorly labeled "post rock" (bands like Tortoise, the Sea and Cake, Sam Prekop, etc.).

Option 1 - T-Amp and Mini-Me's w/stands - Approx $650
Option 2 - Clari-T and Mini-Me's w/stands - Approx $1000
Option 3 - T-Amp and Super 3's w/stands - Approx $800
Option 4 - Clari-T and Super 3's w/stands - Approx $1200

Thanks in advance-

Rocket

« Reply #1 on: 16 Jun 2005, 09:31 am »
Hi,

I bought a sonic impact on the weekend and was pretty impressed with the sound.  If you buy one make sure you get a good quality switching power supply.  Apparently the rat shack one's aren't too good.

You can always upgrade to the clari-t once you can afford one.

Regards

Rod

CJ Paul

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jan 2006, 04:31 pm »
Quote from: Rocket
Hi,

I bought a sonic impact on the weekend and was pretty impressed with the sound.  If you buy one make sure you get a good quality switching power supply.  Apparently the rat shack one's aren't too good.

You can always upgrade to the clari-t once you can afford one.

Regards

Rod

Should the SI amp be used with something other than a wallwart?  What power supply at Radio Shack do you recomend?  Can you provide a link please?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 20 Jan 2006, 05:04 pm »
Here's a nice compromised between teh cheesy/cheaply built SI and the much more expensive Clari-T (that requires battery baby sitting):  

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-956&ctab=4#Tabs

And here's a review of it:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/sonicimpact2/t2.html

Being on a student budget, I'd look for concrete garden pedestals for 1/10th the price of the Skylan stands.

Jampot

« Reply #4 on: 20 Jan 2006, 05:20 pm »
If you can run to the Clari-T plus Mini Me bundle and save $100 (I believe the deal is still available - see Red Wine or Omega web site) go for it. I have used the T Amp and an SLA battery pack and it is terrific, so good I bought a Clari-T asap!

The quality of the volume control and connections on the Clati-T knock those on the T-Amp into a cocked hat and the money spent on the T Amp and battery, wall wart etc will be dead when you get round to upgrading. (not a lot of demand for second hand bits like that!)

Be aware that if you want to use more than one source you will have a lot of plugging / un plugging to do - another point in favour of the Clari-T which of course has quality phono connectors #, not the flimsy mini jack.

If you are up to re-boxing the T Amp you could save a chunk of money and possibly incorporate additional inputs, or see this

http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/t-preamp_e.html

Either way the time spent 'burning in' the tripath needs patience which will be well rewarded.

Be careful that if you use a wall wart direct into a T Amp the voltage MUST NOt exceed 13.8v or you will fry the chip

Good luck and good listening

Jim

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 21 Jan 2006, 12:36 am »
I have the Clari-T with Auricap and Black Gate options (after hearing the difference you'll wonder if Vinnie should sell the Clari-T without).  My Clari-T also has an Alps 10K volume pot to add a bit more juice and a 2nd set of inputs with both power and input mini-toggles moved to the front.  All together it makes for a world beating 6 wpc amp that fits in your hand.

roymail

• Roy in TX
T-amp & speakers on a budget
« Reply #6 on: 24 Jan 2006, 03:56 am »
JLM is right about the modded ClariT.  You already know how I feel about the ClariT/Super 3 combo from our previous PMs.  But if I was a college student and money was a significant issue, I'd try the new SuperT model of the SI amp along with a used pair of Super 3s.  It has an option to connect to a 12V battery... a no brainer compared to an inexpensive power supply (my opinion, of course).  

http://www.batterymart.com/battery.mv?p=SLA-12V1-3

You should be able to find some used Super 3s for $350 to $400 in good condition.  If you are happy with your CDP, I think you could have a nice smaller system in your dorm room for less than $600.  BTW, a used pair of Super 3's will better a new pair of Mini-Me's by a significant margin IMO.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #7 on: 24 Jan 2006, 04:41 am »
Quote from: tvad4
Do you all realize the author of this post hasn't responded since first asking the question in June?

You might as well be giving your opinions to a styrofoam cup.
....He may of graduated by now.... :lol:
    List of posts...
http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/search.php?search_author=fiveoclockfriday[/list:u]

fiveoclockfriday

Author did actually graduate...
« Reply #8 on: 24 Jan 2006, 03:28 pm »
Hi everyone, thanks for your suggestions, always appreciated...if a few months late :) I honestly didn't even remember starting the thread till I actually opened it up and saw your recent comments.

I have in fact graduated, and I've just started working. That being said, I'm still on a tight budget for a little while, until I build up some savings.

I have a Sharp SD-EX111 and a pair of PSB B25 speakers I got used.

I'm still considering upgrading to some nice Omegas (the XRS or the Hemptones look tempting), but I'm just waiting and enjoying music for now.

I have a bit of extra space in my apartment so building a super basic OB design is also tempting me...

CJ Paul

« Reply #9 on: 24 Jan 2006, 07:12 pm »
Louis is building my pair of Hemptones right now (at least I hope he is ;)) so if you are holding off while saving up money, you might have a chance to read some impressions before you decide.

Louis O

« Reply #10 on: 25 Jan 2006, 01:03 am »
Hi fiveoclockfriday,

Looks like it’s all sorted out and what I would go with would be the XRSs or the either of the hemps.  The XRSs would save you the cost of stands. The Hemps just have everything plus big dynamics. Vinnie sometimes has demo amps especially after shows. Nest up is Montreal.

The XRSs and Clari t is an amazing combo.

Thanks again,
Louis